Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #1

So I got the keyless working and figured I would go on the roof and clean the solar panel. Noticed a funny spot on the roof. Found out I have a 3-4 inch crack on the top drivers side and a 6-8 inch crack on the side of the pass side. Looks to be right where the roof/cap are joined together.

It's just not my week!!

Carl

P.S. I hope Mr Toolson is going to be at the Rally so I can give him a piece of my mind!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #2

So I got the keyless working and figured I would go on the roof and clean the solar panel. Noticed a funny spot on the roof. Found out I have a 3-4 inch crack on the top drivers side and a 6-8 inch crack on the side of the pass side. Looks to be right where the roof/cap are joined together.

It's just not my week!!

Carl

P.S. I hope Mr Toolson is going to be at the Rally so I can give him a piece of my mind!!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the club. Fortunately, ours was covered by warranty. I can't help but feel that the crack in the windshield that was repaired about 6 months earlier was related.

Dan

2006 Monaco Knight 40DFD
dwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
loranimal,
Believe me, I feel your pain partner. Go to the search tool in this forum and you will find a couple threads about our cracks in the past year. Ours is the same year as yours and we found a crack within a month of owning it. We've found several more and have had them fixed at Gauranty RV Service in Junction City, Oregon where we bought our coach. All were under warrenty. Monoco had no problem with having them fixed. Just make sure you get them fixed or documented within your warrenty period! And by all means, go over your coach with a fine toothed comb for any paint flaws or cracks because Monoco will approve them to be fixed by your bodyshop. After we found the first few cracks, we got REAL picky without any guilty feelings. It is well known that Monoco basically uses it's customers as their quality control. It also helps if you go over your coach with your bodyshop rep who might or might not find anything that you maybe passed up. Ours found another crack that I couldn't see until he showed it to me. Good luck, I know how frustrated you are, but things will get better once the problems are taken of. Heck, I even threatened to jump all over the edges of our coachs' roof until all of the possible crack areas opened up. . Gauranty's bodyshop rep wasn't going to go for that one. I just wanted to get everything fixed that would need fixing in the future before our warrenty runs out in October. Again, good luck.

AKBrick

P.S.-As per my body shop rep, put duct tape over those cracks until you can get to a place to have them fixed. It will keep the rain from getting in and messing anything up on the inside. Do Not put any silicone or caulking on it as it will just make the bodyman's job just that much harder.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #5

AK - Read your posts when you made them and hoped I wouldn't have the same problems. Mine weren't there a month ago. But our roads aren't the best.

The one on the top I could fix easy, but the one on the side goes all the way down to the seam with the side wall.

I sent an email to Monaco to see what they say. I am out of warranty.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
loranimal,
Bummer dude on the out of warrenty deal. Hopefully Monoco will fork out the dough to get them fixed. Keep your fingers and toes crossed.

AKBrick
Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
loranimal,

I too have a very small crack at the front cap line on the passenger side. When I was in Harrisburg in March my service writer noticed a depression on the drivers side and had it checked out. Nothing found but said to keep an eye on it.

We have and appointment on October 13 in Harrisburg and have added the right side crack to out list of warranty items. Are these areas the only places the cracks develop?

Any further info about this problem and how to handle repairs with the factory would be greatly appreciated

Scott and Cindy Rafuse
07 Camelot 40PDQ
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for all your problems with cracks, but thanks for the headsup. Bought this new at the end of April so I'll have to give it a good looking over before I put it in storage for the winter. If this winter is as bad as last year I'll have very little time to do it in the spring.

Question - Monaco/HR dealers are few and far between up here in NH and the one that is near me (not my selling dealer)doesn't do bodywork. So how would I address any cracking issues with Monaco?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Scott,
Check all four corners on your roof where your front and rear caps are fiberglassed to the flat roof piece and down the curve to the wall piece, then down to the top wall seam. Check your flat wall pieces where they are fiberglassed to each other to make a full wall. I even had a crack in the middle of my slide panel that wasn't even a seam. I'm very glad the bodyshop rep spotted that one. That one was under the paint that had not cracked yet.

AKBrick
Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #10

I am sorry to hear of your problems. I too had a serious problem with the sidewall/roof seam pulling apart. Monaco denied all request from me and the dealer to help pay for the repair. I am second owner of a 07HR and they agreed that the problem was most likely due to over torqueing the alu. screws at the factory. The letter assured me that they were not going to abandon me and would offer technical assistance. I hope you are successful in out of warranty repairs better than I was. Monaco ads tout their 24/7 support...yeah right. Good luck.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Oh-one -- Don`t let just one NO stop you -- Most of the time, that will be the answer you will get at first -- That should be covered under warranty -- All four corners of our 07 Camelot cracked but was repaired under warranty - This coach also had a lot of orange peel around the windows that they refused to repaint - I have 3 letters telling me such - After 6 months of staying on them, they agreed to take care of this problem -- Write a letter to April Klein in Coburn, & tell her of your problems -- She is (or was) president of Customer Support Services, & send copys to Kay Toolson, & Dan Deering -- Stay on them, & good luck -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #12

William, Thanks for the encouragement and the names at Monaco. I will indeed write them and express our disappointment in their service. Hopefully this can be resolved. I am very happy with my dealer John Bleakley and their effort to correct the problem. They should be recognized for great customer service after the sale.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I agree with Bill W, writing to or talking to April Klein is a good approach. When Robin and I were on the windshield wiper crusade I found her to be very open and fair. Provide her with top level details and who you have talked to. In my case I found an internal champion (no long at MCC) and they added credibility.

good luck,
mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote