Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Joined the Splendide handle group, quick fix

Well, DW got impatient and tried to open the Washer before the light was blinking so pop goes the handle.
I ordered another one ($60.00 ouch) since looking at the broken parts I thought, wow, no way glue would fix this.

A week or so later thought I would take another look. Easy enough. There is space for a metal reinforcement bracket to fit in there and not only would fix the unit, fix it forever!

So here goes:
The offensively under designed part
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180114_115832.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	189042
Template made

Name:	20180114_115854.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	189043
Fit template

Name:	20180114_115922_001.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	189044
Trace out on some 1/8 aluminum stock

Name:	20180114_115943.jpg
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	189045
Cut, fit, file, sand, blend, drill holes, tap for some 4-40 screws. Note, screws near the pivot must be countersunk to allow the handle to fit flush with the mount ring.

Name:	20180114_160113.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	189046
All fit up and ready. The countersunk screws are at the top of the picture. i used socket head cap screws on the lower part of the picture for clearance between the plastic wedges since that type of screw has a reduced footprint and there is not much room. I also had to use a smaller head screw in the cam area (part that broke off) to allow room for the striker to pivot over the shaft. Obvious once you look a it all really.

Name:	20180116_183820.jpg
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	189047
I roughened up the aluminum and plastic surfaces to help some JB weld adhere better but I am not counting on the JB weld to do the work. The 1/8 aluminum and screws really are spreading the load out on their own but some extra support is a good thing!

Name:	20180116_183836.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	189048
This is a view of a new handle. As you can see, there is room for the aluminum stock to sit in there nice and flat to distribute the load better.

Name:	20180116_183843.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	189049
I took the spring and relaxed it just a little. The old spring is on the left, new spring on the right. Just a small tweak so the handle has less overall pressure working against it. Of course, I will be watching this close on the first few uses to be sure it is tight enough

Name:	20180116_183901.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	189052
The door, handle, cam, latch and all put back together.

Name:	20180116_184401.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	189053

I totally should have done this before buying a new handle, I am quite pleased with how simple this repair is and after tugging on it pretty firmly, am confident it will hold. Time will tell I guess.

Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #2

Great fix!

These are the type of jobs that I like to experiment with.
A little patience and outside the box thinking usually works.

Iver.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Way to go!

I don’t have access to the thread right now, but several years ago someone posted on how to defeat that interlock. IIRC, Had to do with folding back the rubber gasket around the door frame and jumper a couple wires. Did that and wife loved it.
Obviously defeats the safety protection, so be careful!
RustyTools is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 AM   #4

Didn't I mention? you have to have a little MacGyver in ya if you own an RV! Oh ya and sense of humor.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Didn't I mention? you have to have a little MacGyver in ya if you own an RV! Oh ya and sense of humor.
God made RV's so old retired men (and beautiful retired ladies) would have something to do!

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Best words I’ve heard in a long time.
RustyTools is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a link on how to defeat the interlock:
Splendide Washer/Dryer Door Latch/Lock Bypass – My Quantum Discovery
Use at your own risk!

Gene M
2004 Knight
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Well, DW got impatient and tried to open the Washer before the light was blinking so pop goes the handle.
I ordered another one ($60.00 ouch) since looking at the broken parts I thought, wow, no way glue would fix this.

A week or so later thought I would take another look. Easy enough. There is space for a metal reinforcement bracket to fit in there and not only would fix the unit, fix it forever!

So here goes:
The offensively under designed part
Attachment 189042
Template made
Attachment 189043
Fit template
Attachment 189044
Trace out on some 1/8 aluminum stock
Attachment 189045
Cut, fit, file, sand, blend, drill holes, tap for some 4-40 screws. Note, screws near the pivot must be countersunk to allow the handle to fit flush with the mount ring.
Attachment 189046
All fit up and ready. The countersunk screws are at the top of the picture. i used socket head cap screws on the lower part of the picture for clearance between the plastic wedges since that type of screw has a reduced footprint and there is not much room. I also had to use a smaller head screw in the cam area (part that broke off) to allow room for the striker to pivot over the shaft. Obvious once you look a it all really.
Attachment 189047
I roughened up the aluminum and plastic surfaces to help some JB weld adhere better but I am not counting on the JB weld to do the work. The 1/8 aluminum and screws really are spreading the load out on their own but some extra support is a good thing!
Attachment 189048
This is a view of a new handle. As you can see, there is room for the aluminum stock to sit in there nice and flat to distribute the load better.
Attachment 189049
I took the spring and relaxed it just a little. The old spring is on the left, new spring on the right. Just a small tweak so the handle has less overall pressure working against it. Of course, I will be watching this close on the first few uses to be sure it is tight enough
Attachment 189052
The door, handle, cam, latch and all put back together.
Attachment 189053

I totally should have done this before buying a new handle, I am quite pleased with how simple this repair is and after tugging on it pretty firmly, am confident it will hold. Time will tell I guess.

Windecker
Wow! Nice repair . . . Wouldn't it have been easier for her to wait until the little light stopped blinking?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Very nice fix, but repairs like this can be dangerous. The handle is fairly easy to replace. By reinforcing the handle, the force put upon the handle above what would have broken the handle, is transferred further into the mechanism, possibly to something less easily replaced. My wife broke the handle as well. I replaced the handle and taped instructions to the inside of the washer/dryer cabinet door detailing the procedure to open the door from a locked condition. These instructions came with the new handle -- it's like they knew.....
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #10

Yea I know, live and learn. She did not know about the blinking light thing, does now. Placard installed!
I would be annoyed if the handle was $15 but $60 plus shipping am more than annoyed.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Very nice fix, but repairs like this can be dangerous. The handle is fairly easy to replace. By reinforcing the handle, the force put upon the handle above what would have broken the handle, is transferred further into the mechanism, possibly to something less easily replaced. My wife broke the handle as well. I replaced the handle and taped instructions to the inside of the washer/dryer cabinet door detailing the procedure to open the door from a locked condition. These instructions came with the new handle -- it's like they knew.....
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
God made RV's so old retired men (and beautiful retired ladies) would have something to do!

Bob

It worked
Old 01-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #12

Great repair thread!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Thumbs up Hats off!

I agree that this is a GREAT repair thread.
The fact that there is only one page proves it IMO - NO kibitzing, nay-saying, argument, pontificating, etc (well, almost none ).
This is how it ought to be done: precisely to the point, detailed, clean & final.

AND I saved both down-time and money by implementing your solution.

Thank You!
Maryfaith Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #14

You have energized me to take a look at mine, a few months back I noticed water on carpet so I shut off water valve and have been putting off checking it out, I guess it's time. Great step by step repair of latch.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote