Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Just Traded a 2007 Diplomat for a 2017

About two weeks ago, we traded our 2007 Monaco Diplomat 40 SFT (which we've had since new), for a brand new Diplomat 10 years newer - a 2017 Monaco Diplomat 43G, now made by REV Group.

I thought I'd post some first impressions...

Why we traded: Our 2007 Diplomat has been a fine coach that we have truly loved over the years. Also, we've added several upgrades, like a residential refrigerator, a vastly upgraded entertainment head unit and sound system, and a lighted external keypad for the door lock. But it was time. Sometimes, you just get a little itchy for something newer with all the new "bells & whistles". Plus, sorry to say, my DW and I have "outgrown" the Queen bed and wanted a King. Also, truth be told, we also wanted a few more comfort features that we just didn't have in the 2007, like a nice big rear bath with a mid-coach "powder room", an Aqua Hot, heated floors, an all-electric coach, a 50" mid-ship TV, a cushy dinette instead of chairs, etc. etc. We've been half-heartedly looking for a new coach for a while, but when we saw the 2017 Dip, and figured out that we could (almost) afford it, we just fell in love. REV is discounting the new Diplomat almost $120 Grand, and our dealer took it from there and kept discounting, by building a bunch more into the trade, than our coach was worth. The deal was very hard to refuse, by the time we finished negotiating.

What we DON'T like: The list of what we don't like about the new coach is infinitely smaller than the list of what we DO like, so I'll start with that.
  • Smaller inside storage space (but more space underneath).
  • Too much plastic in the dash area. We'll miss our padded upholstered dash with the flat top.
  • Mirrors are in a somewhat awkward position, but we'll get used to it. And the side cameras are infinitely better than what we had.
  • No winterizing input in the water bay, but REV has agreed to add that for us under warranty.
  • No external keypad for the locks. But I added that before, and I can do it again.
  • That's about it.

What we DO like: In addition to the items I've already listed above, here are more items that we love about the New Diplomat.
  • The Freightliner XCM chassis with its 60 deg. wheel cut and Ultrasteer passive steering tag axle is a breeze to maneuver.
  • The Freightliner Independant Front Suspension, V-rod rear end, and huge airbags make this coach remarkably stable and comfortable. It literally drives like a luxury automobile.
  • The two vacuum flush toilets work remarkably well and use less water.
  • Every light on the coach - inside and out - is an LED. No more changing bulbs. Plus LED awning lights, interior accent lighting, and under-coach accent lighting.
  • Firefly computerized control system make it extremely easy to control coach systems and all lighting.
  • Lock/Unlock all bay doors with a single click on the key fob. (We'll add an exterior lighted keypad later.)
  • Extremely comfortable cockpit area. Plenty of leg room, big comfy seats, and ergonomic wraparound dash.
  • All upgraded appliances (including a dishwasher).
  • Comfy and plush Villa Ultraleather furniture throughout.
  • Upgraded Digital TV antenna, plus a Winegard satellite dish.
  • Emergency exit door in rear of coach (in master bath).
  • Much improved 4-point hydraulic leveling with auto air-dump.
  • Super-quiet while underway. Nothing rattles or whistles.
  • 2800 Watt PSW Inverter which also charges both house and chassis batteries. Six 6v house batteries.
  • All roller day/night shades. No more pleated blinds on a string, or front curtains. Windshield shades are electric.
  • Did I mention heated tile flooring throughout? And an attractive electric fireplace that actually throws an ample amount of heat?
And most of all, this coach is absolutely gorgeous inside and out.

For more pictures, click on the "2017 link" in my signature below.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That is a sweeet looking rig Robin.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice! Congrats.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Oh my, what a gorgeous coach, hope you enjoy it for many miles.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:54 AM   #5

Very nice ride Robin, plenty of new upgrades! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 11-27-2016, 04:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats Robin, beautiful coach.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I would never want to leave that coach.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-27-2016, 05:38 AM   #8

Very nice!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #9

I'm envious. I wouldn't have mind looking at your '07 either.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #10

Very nice!

Thanks for sharing
Old 11-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Very nice Rob

When I was picking up my coach, the dealership had an older fella that did all the parking, and manuvering of all the inventory on the lot. Watched him back mine within about 12" alongside a handrail, at speed . This guy was GOOD! Started chatting with him, and he told me, the first thing he would do if he bought my coach would be swing the drivers side mirror in, just like yours is!
Of course I never did , and am totally used to looking at it thru the windshield, but this dude is convinced you get a better view looking at the mirror thru the side window.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Ben,

I also like the driver's side mirror back like that. You get a very good view of both what is behind you, and what's coming up beside you. Of course you can't do that with the right side, and on this coach the dashboard partially obscures the lower wide angle mirror. So I have it pushed back as much as I can, so that I can still see it from the lower right corner of the windshield. That's going to take a little while to get used to, but it is doable. I wish the mirrors were mounted just a tad higher. On this coach the side cameras are in the mirror heads, which gives you very good visibility with those. I never used the side cameras on my 07 Dip, and in fact I installed a switch to turn off the turn signal triggers. But I'll use them all the time on this coach.

Tim, the '07 is for sale at Stoltzfus RV and Marine in Westchester, PA.

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments and words of encouragement. I know we'll really enjoy the new Dip. I think REV is doing a great job of carrying on the Monaco tradition of offering quality and useful amenities in a pleasing, yet reasonably austere decor. I'm excited about it, as was probably evident in my post above. My DW, Suzanne, is too, although she "pretends" to be less excited than I.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats - really - we too looked long and hard @ them, but so far, the upgrade costs from our 2011 has not seemed doable for us... and the wife is getting less and less enthusiastic about the rv ...

You mentioned midship tv - where is it ?

our 2011 has the same floors, but ours must be a satin finish,
not nearly as shiny and nice as yours !!!
Old 11-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
You mentioned midship tv - where is it ?
The big 50" TV is behind the driver, where it is viewable from anywhere on that big L-shaped sofa, or from the recliner, if you move it over next to the sofa (in place of the "L" extension). Other floorplans have it back further near the galley.

There's another 42" TV and entertainment system hidden behind a door on the side of the coach outside under the awning. Watching TV outside seems a little unnatural to me, but maybe we'll enjoy that one too.