Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

King Dome 2200

I am considering installing a King Dome 2200. If you are using this system, please let me know how it is working for you. Also, I am not planning on using DISH or Direct TV service immediately but hoping to pull in open air digital channels.

Thanks,

Frank and Jeannie
2007 Monaco Cayman

Note: Please share any concerns regarding install.
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #2

From all I've read most seem too like the Trav'ler better. I've got a King-Dome in motion unit and would like to replace it. Loses signal all the time, even while parked 😡😡

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #3

King Dome 2200

Thanks. That info is important. Since your model is a step up from the 2200, I am sure signal loss would also be a problem.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryMonaco View Post
I am considering installing a King Dome 2200. If you are using this system, please let me know how it is working for you. Also, I am not planning on using DISH or Direct TV service immediately but hoping to pull in open air digital channels.
Thanks,
Frank and Jeannie
2007 Monaco Cayman
CrossCountryMonaco
No satellite antenna will help you "pull in open air digital channels".
I use my 19 year old Winegard batwing antenna, (with the Wingman attachment), for the reception of OTA, (over the air), TV stations.
Mel
'96 Safari, (with a Batwing for local stations and a KingDome for DirecTV reception)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
hoping to pull in open air digital channels.
Hope all you want, but it isn't going to happen. The dome is a satellite antenna only, it does not do anything with over the air TV signals. It does include a diplexer, which will let you mix in the signal from your existing over the air antenna, and feed it down into the coach on a single cable, but it does not include any kind of over the air antenna.

I have a KingDome in-motion dome that came factory installed on my coach. It was their top of the line model at the time. I struggled with it unsuccessfully for a year, had all sorts of help from their tech support department, replaced parts, upgraded software, and tried all sorts of fixes suggested by their tech support people and others. Finally, their tech support department decided that it's an incompatibility with my receiver, and they washed their hands of it and said I'm on my own. I never did get it to work reliably.

With the right receiver, and a good bit of luck, one can get a dome to work, but I think they are more trouble than they are worth. The biggest limitations are that they contain a small dish inside the dome, and they have only a single LNB. The small dish, coupled with the dome itself that can attract water droplets, mean that the antenna is more susceptible to rain fade (loss of signal during severe weather) and less tolerant of low signal levels, when compared to a regular dish. The single LNB is the "eye" that actually receives the signal from the satellite: having only a single one means that it can only see one satellite at a time, while regular home dishes have multiple LNBs and can see all satellites simultaneously. If you change channels, and the next channel is on a different satellite, it takes some time for the dome to point to the new satellite before you can see the signal. And if you have more than one receiver, if the second receiver wants a channel that is on a different satellite than the main receiver, it is out of luck and will get nothing. With a regular home style dish, that switch is done electronically and you instantly see the other channel. And the switches are sophisticated enough that any receiver can be tuned to any satellite, all at the same time.

These limitations apply equally to all domes: automatic or manual, roof-top or portable, in-motion or stationary. The limitations are inherent in the design and technology of the dome. The issues don't apply to any particular model of dome, they are universal.

It was this switching between satellites that I couldn't get to work on my dome. The other limitation is that there isn't a dome out there that is capable of receiving HD from DirecTV: that uses a special kind of LNB that is not present on any dome (HD from Dish Network will work, however.)

As far as I'm concerned, the money spent on my dome was a complete waste, I might have just as well lit that money on fire or thrown it away. In fact, I would've been better off had I done that, as I wouldn't have wasted so much time and frustration on it.

In the right conditions, with just the right receiver, and if the stars and the planets are aligned just right that day, you can supposedly get a dome to work. I have friends who have actually been able to watch TV on their dome (although they do seem to spend a lot of time going back to the dealer to have it fixed.) I gave up on the dome, and I think the ONLY reason to consider one is if you MUST have in-motion capability (and if that's the case, I would urge to consider carefully whether you truly need that ability.) I note that the 2200 is a stationary dome, and cannot work in-motion, therefore I simply cannot recommend it anyone.

If you are looking at a stationary dome, I recommend you run away as fast as you can, and instead get a Winegard Trav'ler. That's what I have now, and I haven't had a single problem with it in the 5 years that I've had it. Unlike the limitations of a dome, the Trav'ler uses the exact same dish and LNB setup as a home installation. Same size dish, same number and type of LNBs. It works exactly the same as a home installation: limited rain fade, it can see all satellites at once, and it can get HD from all providers, including DirecTV. The only limitation I can think of is that it can't be used while the RV is in motion.

If you absolutely must have in-motion, then consider a dome. If you don't need in-motion, I strongly recommend staying away from a dome and going with the Winegard Trav'ler. However, since you are looking for over the air reception, neither the Trav'ler nor any dome will do you any good.

Edit: Looks like I took too long to type, and didn't see Mel's response until after I hit post. Sorry for the redundancy.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
So, Adam, tell us how frustrated you really are

I had the exact same go-around (pun intended) with my in-motion KVH antenna when I got the coach. Sometimes it'd work, but mostly...

I just happened to mention the problem to my installer when I was getting one of the now-defunct MotoSat internet systems put on, and he offered a possible solution. He said it was often a result of 'dirty' 12v power from the coach itself (like mine, wired directly into the house system), and there can be enough noise (lights, inverter/charger, motors, etc) on there that it can confuse the TV sat system. Figuring it was worth a try, I installed a 110/12v RadShack power supply. Not a problem since!

I realize this is all water under the dam now, especially since everyone is going to HD, but at least it might be worth considering.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
So, Adam, tell us how frustrated you really are
Don't tempt me, I haven't really started complaining about it...

Quote:
He said it was often a result of 'dirty' 12v power from the coach itself (like mine, wired directly into the house system)
My dome, which is now collecting dust, was powered from it's own dedicated 120 VAC power supply. No DC connections at all.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #8

King Dome 2200

LEAVING the King Dome idea in the rear view mirror! I will check into the Winguard Trav'ler and pay as you go Direct TV. Thanks everyone!

Frank and Jeannie
2007 Monaco Caymon
Old 06-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Good call! Just remember, the Trav'ler also doesn't do anything for over-the-air TV. (And it doesn't come with a diplexer to combine signals, but they only cost a few dollars if you need one.)
Old 06-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Don't tempt me, I haven't really started complaining about it...

My dome, which is now collecting dust, was powered from it's own dedicated 120 VAC power supply. No DC connections at all.
Just to confirm, I have a roof mounted, auto Wingard Traveler that's about 6 years old. It has worked nearly flawlessly from Alaska to South Texas. If it can see the stars, it works 99% of the time. A couple of spots in Alaska were dicey. In that part of the world, size does matter.
Current provider, Shaw direct, is making some changes which will eventually effect this but that is a service provider issue and has no relation to the equipment.
I have talked to others in various campgrounds about their dome set up and have not spoken to one that was satisfied.
So, I agree with the others in this thread saying, don't waste your money on a Dome.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
A couple of spots in Alaska were dicey. In that part of the world, size does matter.
Yes, that far North you will be on the edge of the usable signal beam, and will be seeing a weak signal from the satellites. It's not unusual for houses in that area to have larger dishes to compensate. The bigger the dish, the better it can pull in weak signals.

Make the dish smaller, and it has trouble with even strong signals. With the internal dish of a dome being so much smaller than a regular dish, can you imagine the trouble you would've had in Alaska if you had a dome?

I've had the same experiences as you talking with other dome owners: the satisfaction level ranges from "it works, but it sure takes a lot of fussing, I sure wish I had something better" all the way to "don't even mention that*@#^%*&# thing!" I hear more toward the latter end of the range than the former...
Old 06-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
LEAVING the King Dome idea in the rear view mirror! I will check into the Winguard Trav'ler and pay as you go Direct TV. Thanks everyone!
Frank and Jeannie
2007 Monaco Caymon
CrossCountryMonaco
There was roof mounted stationary KingDome on my coach when I bought it in '01.
I've used it, (along with one of the 2 DirecTV receivers from my home/house), to view DirecTV standard definition programming coast to coast and border to border for 14 years.... with NO problems.

If everything about my coach worked as well as my KingDome I would be a much happier camper.

Mel
'96 Safari, 141K miles, (114k mine)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I've used it, (along with one of the 2 DirecTV receivers from my home/house), to view DirecTV standard definition programming coast to coast and border to border for 14 years.... with NO problems.
Quick, DUCK! Was that a pig I just saw flying by?

This has to be the first happy camper I've heard of that actually likes their dome. Congratulations Mel, may you continue to have great luck with it.