Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2021, 06:17 AM   #15

The first thing to do is to double check each connection to insure it to be a clean and tight connection. this includes every terminal post connection, every ground connection, every connection going to and from the battery bank. The double check the water level of your batteries. If low, fill with distilled water and charge the system to get to full charge. If the electrical system is fully charged with all good clean tight connections and the batteries are in good condition, the generator should start easily. Most often something mentioned above solves the problems you stated in your question.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 07:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
It was for me. A short 4 gauge wire and an ANL fuse holder, all done in the rear run box.
Like twinboat just posted, you will want your battery bank charging system working properly before you do this!
The reason I changed mine is I have automatic generator start (AGS). If I'm overnighting with AGS turned on, I can let my house batteries drop to 40-50% before my fully charged chassis batteries start the gen.
But my charging system charges both banks with gen, shore, and alternator.

Will do - Thanks!
HawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:22 AM   #17

Question while we are on the subject, on a coach equipped with a boost switch does it work both ways? Can you use it to boost either a dead chassis battery or boost the house batteries in order to start the generator if they are dead?
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Question while we are on the subject, on a coach equipped with a boost switch does it work both ways? Can you use it to boost either a dead chassis battery or boost the house batteries in order to start the generator if they are dead?
Normally yes but it will depend on which bank the cross connect solenoid gets power from to energize. My coach power is from the house bank for the solenoid and generator starting so the primary intent is to send house power to the chassis get the coach moving. If you don't have power to switch the solenoid it's pretty easy to bypass with a wire coat hanger but a jumper cable is probably better suited for the need.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Normally yes but it will depend on which bank the cross connect solenoid gets power from to energize. My coach power is from the house bank for the solenoid and generator starting so the primary intent is to send house power to the chassis get the coach moving. If you don't have power to switch the solenoid it's pretty easy to bypass with a wire coat hanger but a jumper cable is probably better suited for the need.
Thanks, sounds like a 3 way momentary switch to energize the solenoid form either bank would be a worthwhile mod for a boondocker.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #20

You don't need a full battery to activate a boost solenoid. In most cases if you have 10.5 or more volts the solenoid will work.

The boost system will work both ways to assist a low battery.

If your running your batteries lower then that, stop doing that. It's a sure fire battery killer.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #21

Does the coat hanger get hot? It would depend on how dead the low batteries are and how soon you hit the starter.

It's a different thing, but I've heard of reaching around in an auto and shorting a ring or watch, not fun as I imagine and can be quite painful.
A red hot ring or watch I don't even want to think about.

Ray 03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Does the coat hanger get hot? It would depend on how dead the low batteries are and how soon you hit the starter.

It's a different thing, but I've heard of reaching around in an auto and shorting a ring or watch, not fun as I imagine and can be quite painful.
A red hot ring or watch I don't even want to think about.

Ray 03 Windsor
Try getting a wedding band hooked on a live 277 volt conductor while working grocery store fixtures up on a scissor lift
Old 11-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #23

I have a fleetwood discovery that used the house batteries to start generator. Generator usually started without using the jumpstart switch but I never liked the way it turned over slow and made the lights flicker when I was starting it to charge the batteries.
I added a dedicated gen starting battery up front next to the gen and ran 00 cables direct to gen. Then I took the original starter cable and hooked it to a blue sea automatic charge relay then from the ACR to the gen battery. Gen starts great every time and when the house batteries get to 13v or so from being charged the ACR connects the house to the gen battery and charges that also. When I stop the gen and voltage drops to 12.65 the ACR disconnects so the gen battery doesn’t get drained. The ACR also came with a remote rocker switch that I mounted next to the jumpstart switch. It’s a 3 way rocker that I can turn ACR off or put it in auto where it works as I described or manual on if I want to.
It never made sense to me to use a half dead battery to start the gen to charge the half dead battery. And as others have stated if you use the chassis battery then there’s a possibility it won’t turn the cummins when I want it to do that. It was a little bit of work but I really like the set up.
Discovery01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery01 View Post
It never made sense to me to use a half dead battery to start the gen to charge the half dead battery. And as others have stated if you use the chassis battery then there’s a possibility it won’t turn the cummins when I want it to do that. It was a little bit of work but I really like the set up.
Well, if starting the gen took so much charge out of my two 1000CCA batteries that they could no longer turn over the Cummins, I'm due for a new pair of chassis batteries !

That's a good setup you've got with the dedicated gen battery !
Old 11-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #25

Also, make sure all your generator glow plugs (if diesel) are operational. If you only have one (or none) getting hot, the generator will be very difficult to start requiring fast and prolonged cranking. Just make sure the generator is serviced.
Eric Koger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #26

I own a 2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. The gen starts with the house batteries. Because of a fault with the large circuit board located in the lower drivers side compartment (these are unavailable new and $1000 plus if you can find one used) I shut the chassis batteries off when parked. They have a residual draw that will draw them down. Then if my coach batteries get below 11 volts when dry camping I used the battery boost to tie in the chassis and coach batteries to start the generator.

Doug an Pam
Full timers
2007 HR Endeavor
2019 Chevy Equinox Lt
Holiday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Koger View Post
Also, make sure all your generator glow plugs (if diesel) are operational. If you only have one (or none) getting hot, the generator will be very difficult to start requiring fast and prolonged cranking. Just make sure the generator is serviced.

Thanks. I recently changed the oil and filters but didn’t change the glow plugs. I will get it in to get serviced.
HawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:11 AM   #28

The glow plugs can be easily checked by the top access cover using an ohm meter. If interested in the process, I’m sure there are plenty of online documentation or let me know and I’ll talk you through it. It is a 10 min job.
Eric Koger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries