Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Kitchen Lighting change

Hi all, I would like to know if any 2005 Dip 40 PDQ owners have done lighting changes, especially to the over head big Flouresents in the kitchen area. If so could you please let me know what you did and if possible show pics. I would really like to change the big box out and put in something newer looking. Thanks in advance. Tom
Macktee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #2

Macktee, I have the same light in my rig, I have been wanting to do something also but do not know what. I think that removing the frame and light will leave ceiling marks and maybe some mounting holes. I know you can get other types of plastic to cut and put in the frame that may look a little better. They have the sheets at the big box stores. Also I have considered painting the wood trim to match the ceiling. That may help a little to. I hope someone else has some ideas and they will post them.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply George and Julie. I saw a picture in Classic Coach Works, add, and they had an large oval lighting, which matched the roof material. It is just what I want but don't know if they will sell just that piece with the lighting in it. Or is there another place that does the same thing. Tom
Macktee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We also have one of these big ceiling lights and we hate it with a passion. We agree with previous post that a complete removal is not an option since it will leave an imprint and hole in the ceiling.

A replacement will very much depend on what you need the light for. Do you need a) a work light or b) a decorative light.

W have done without this ceiling light all the time (we never turn it on) so we don't need this for a working light.

Our thought goes along the line of this: Strip out the flurecent fittings. Find a piece of plywood with a veneer that matches the light frame and fit this instead of the plastic sheet. Find a number of small LED downlights or small LED spotlights and fit them in/on the plywood. If we could find small spotlights we might even get to use these as worklights.

Remember to pick your LED lights according to your taste in "light colour". As we recall, about 3000 Kelvin will match a normal old fashioned light bulb.

This is our thoughts on a replacement. Now we just need to get started on the process .

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote