Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I'm definitely going to try something different if I have to do it again. Maybe just rubber hose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Some folks want to go with the clear braided hose and use barb fittings. Should work.
I just replaced mine with what the factory used. It worked for 10 years. I’m good with that.

Some of the other hoses may permeate odors, like the original Sani Con hose did. Vacuum hose would be a more likely candidate than the clear hose to cause an odor. It’s a lot of work to do it twice if the first one doesn’t work properly.
The idea of a braided hose is a good one, I was looking online a while ago for hose with a fiberglass reinforcement, maybe that'd deter the inevitable cracking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Second Post:

My access is like that of barmcd above. I removed the under sink shelf and wall on the plumbing side. I used the pool vacuum hose from Lowes. I removed the screw in PVC sections at both ends of the hose and replaced with one that screwed in and had the hose end allowing me to place the pool vacuum hose over it and used hose clamps to secure it. I realize that over time soap will build up and could result in an obstruction but I will be able to take care of that rather easily and without lines coming unglued and spewing water all over the floor and electrical Itasca put in the floor in that area.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Second Post:

My access is like that of barmcd above. I removed the under sink shelf and wall on the plumbing side. I used the pool vacuum hose from Lowes. I removed the screw in PVC sections at both ends of the hose and replaced with one that screwed in and had the hose end allowing me to place the pool vacuum hose over it and used hose clamps to secure it. I realize that over time soap will build up and could result in an obstruction but I will be able to take care of that rather easily and without lines coming unglued and spewing water all over the floor and electrical Itasca put in the floor in that area.
Would you happen to have any pictures of the connection? The hose I'm looking at is smooth on the inside (like the gravity fill hose). I wouldn't think there would be any more soap build-up than the spa hose?

I'm just not comfortable with the stiffness of the spa hose. It is constantly putting stress on the clamps and fittings. My configuration is different than the OP's, as it curls up under the refrigerator... then connects with a solid PVC pipe on the slide (under the cabinets). It's just not a great design (IMHO).

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldNC View Post
Would you happen to have any pictures of the connection? The hose I'm looking at is smooth on the inside (like the gravity fill hose). I wouldn't think there would be any more soap build-up than the spa hose?

I'm just not comfortable with the stiffness of the spa hose. It is constantly putting stress on the clamps and fittings. My configuration is different than the OP's, as it curls up under the refrigerator... then connects with a solid PVC pipe on the slide (under the cabinets). It's just not a great design (IMHO).

Ron

Mine has pool vacuum hose. It works great, no issues and it's been years. It's simply hose clamped to the pvc with I think silicone. My post earlier in this thread has a pic: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/kitc...ml#post4095730
Old 12-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
The key area to address is securing the black ABS/hose connection joint to the structure so there is no flex in that joint, along with no stress. They all seem to fail in same place.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water Drain Replacement

Ron,

I used the barbed 1 1/2" and a hose clamp to secure. Glue just doesn't work for me, tried it 3 times when the spa hose kept popping out of the lower fitting. The dealer used a couple of tubes of hot glue - it was all over everything EXCEPT the hose fitting. I80 really shook things loose again so I first tried a replacement spa hose but there just wasn't enough room to be comfortable with so went with pool hose which has really worked great.

Here's pic of the connector I used:

hope this worked. First time.

First 2 times repairing disconnected drain I did it through the little hole under the draw. My vocabulary was very strained at time. When I changed it out the third time I decided to take out the shelf and and the wall on the slide side which enabled me to easily, well easier anyhow to get to both ends. Used the hose clamps to hold everything in place. Lower hoses end, which was the last part to be done took lots of dawn soap to lubricate. Richard
Old 12-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OOPs, pic didn't take. Will have to work on this for future - Richard
Old 12-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
This time I used the vacuum hose that car wash use. Southwest Rubber & Supply in Phoenix sells it and the adapters.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #65

The boys at Elite fixed mine. Did a great job. The spa hose that Monaco used was never designed to flex after the installation. That is why it fails. I think Elite used some sort of pool vacuum hose.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
It should be pool "spa" hose and not pool vacuum hose. The spa hose is thicker and solvent bonds to pvc fittings. Pool and Spa Hose for Hot Tubs and Swimming Pools - Superflex Spa Hose
I would not trust the thinner vacuum hose to last very long. At least you can get to it to inspect regularly.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #67

Elite replaced our hose. Mark explained that a Spa hose is flexible but not designed for flexing once it is installed. That is why they fail! They do not uses pa hoses.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
My spa hose broke yesterday. Thanks to Harry for finding it yesterday before we made a mess inside the cabinet.
This is the second break. The first time it was repaired with a clamp on coupler in the middle of the spa hose. This time it broke the gray PVC fitting where it screws into the trolley. My spa hose is now 15 years old and very ridged.

Should I replace the hose with another spa hose, a pool vacuum hose, or reinforced clear PVC tubing?
This is the PVC tubing I'm considering:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...C009/303132533
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #69

The pool vacuum hose seems to be the best. The othe3ts are too stiff and get brittle with age. Elite used the pool hose on my unit. Spa hoses are not
designed to be moving constantly Every coach builder has the same problem. Maybe we should just make a hole in the floor an let the water flow!!
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
My spa hose broke yesterday. Thanks to Harry for finding it yesterday before we made a mess inside the cabinet.
This is the second break. The first time it was repaired with a clamp on coupler in the middle of the spa hose. This time it broke the gray PVC fitting where it screws into the trolley. My spa hose is now 15 years old and very ridged.

Should I replace the hose with another spa hose, a pool vacuum hose, or reinforced clear PVC tubing?
This is the PVC tubing I'm considering:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...C009/303132533

I'd go with the reinforced tubing. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the hose always seems to break at the place where it enters the fitting. Mine broke there twice (or 3 times, I don't recall). This time I reinforced the joint with one of those "no-hub" flex connectors (see post# 45 from 2018) so maybe it'd last longer this time.......

Planning for the next time I was thinking of a reinforced hose myself; fiberglass or, maybe, nylon reinforcement. The HD listing for this stuff says the reinforcement is polyester braid. Let us know how that poly reinforcement works out.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement