Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

I am planning on upgrading my front shocks on my 08 Cayman. I spoke to Koni and they could not tell me with a 100% certainty what shocks I need without cross-referencing the number on my stock shocks. I am thinking I got the “new guy” on the phone and he just was not willing to take the time to investigate? Anyone upgraded their 08 Cayman with Konis and have the part number handy?
Thx,
jwc500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have the numbers for you, but I put a set on our friends 07 Cayman. I think you need to call Koni again. Unless Monaco made some change to the R4R chassis, the 4 bag coaches should all be the same.

If you can afford it, I would throw them on the rear too. They soften up the 4 bag ride.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
JWC500;

I spoke with a Monaco tech guy last year about Koni shocks for my 08 Diplomat. He said that the 08's have a longer travel on the shocks than previous years and the 03-07 year shocks wouldn't fit properly, indicating that the 03 thru 07 year Koni shocks would be almost to their full length of travel when mounted on an '08.

I didn't ask about Caymans, but figured that if that info is correct, the 08 Knight would be the same.

People say terrific things about Koni's. If you can find a fit, I'd say "go for it!"
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #4

On my 2007 Cayman 36PDQ I ordered the Koni FSD through Shox.com

KONI - Shocks 8805-1021 (front)
KONI - Shocks 8805-1022 (rear)

Had my dealer put them on, and according to them all went well, however I have not driven the coach yet as it has been there since Sept for some last odd and end warranty, waiting for parts, etc. So I cant comment on ride improvement yet.

Tony2
Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #5

golly tony, i hope you've been snowed in since then and couldn't use it anyway! good luck with your koni's, we sure like ours. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #6

Yes, too cold up here to camp and the dealer winterized for me no charge. No camping until mid April most likely and there will still be some snow in the mountains where we like to go.

I will report back once I finally get a chance to drive it and give you guys an idea of how much it helped the 4 bagger.

Tony2
Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #7

Okay, called koni back and Tony is right:

KONI - Shocks 8805-1021 (front)
KONI - Shocks 8805-1022 (rear)

After I get them installed I will give everyone a "ride report".

As an fyi...143.00 each free shipping @shox.com
Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #8

They were good to deal with, fast shipping, etc!

Good luck give us an update on the ride!! lol if it is before April you will know before me it seems!

Tony2
Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Can't wait to hear the ride results.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #10

I can't wait either. Anyone interested in trying to get a discount for a multiple order if they do seem to help ? This has been my biggest gripe in mine. Other than that ****** Piece ** **** MagnaDyne Satellite Radio in the dash. I'm pretty sure mine is possessed. been replaced twice already.

2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG TT 2011 F150 puller
Lennyzx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #11

I have a Safari RD 36 PDQ on the Roadmaster R4R chassis. I changed out the shocks with Koni FSD's. The fore and aft pitch cycle is reduced but the ride is noticeably harsher. I didn't gain enough improvement to justify the cost.
Ron Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Anything new on the shocks? Tony - Have you driven your rig? Any difference?

Heading to Alaska this summer and anxious to know if I should be installing on my 08 Caymen.

Thanks, DB
Dancing Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #13

okay...just picked up coach and had about a 10 mile ride home from the shop. The "porpoising" has been reduced. Ride is still a bit harsh, my expectations may have been too high given the koni hype. Longer trips and time will tell.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #14

Hidey Ho All,
Well just wanted to give you all an update, FINALLY I picked up my unit over the weekend and had a chance to drive with the Koni’s installed.
I did not drive a ton, however I did notice on the smaller road expansion joints that it did smooth those out slightly, it also cut down on the porpoising so that is all good news. The bad news much like JWC500 mentioned that the ride is still harsh, on route to where we store our unit they are doing some road construction so the road is pretty chewed up.................no improvement on rough roads or the more severe expansion joints. I think I also had my expectations set too high! Needless to say I don’t think I would spend the $$ knowing what I know now.
I must admit I have been disappointed with the ride of this unit and quite frankly it is my own fault for not investigating more in depth from the get go and test driving the unit over more adverse terrain!! I have come to the conclusion it is just a shortcoming with this 4 bag chassis, unfortunately at this point is seems our choices are to either slow down and live with it, or upgrade.

Tony2