Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #1

Kudos to RVcams.com

Past year, my Sony rear view camera quit on me. I checked out the wiring and concluded that it was not a wiring problem. After contacting them, they offered to bench test my camera if I shipped it to them. According to them, the voltage at the camera should be 8.1 VDC. However, I was seeing the full battery charging voltage of 13.5 V. They suggested that I look at the Voyageur camera which had an input voltage range of 8 to 15 volts. I shipped my camera to them and it was dead, probably from the high supply voltage. Other than that, the display of the Aladdin display on the Sony (original equipment) displayed correctly.
The Voyageur camera was significantly less expensive even with the adaptor cable. It arrived last week, and it works perfectly.
Very satisfied with their help.
Dick L
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLImperial View Post
Past year, my Sony rear view camera quit on me.

According to them, the voltage at the camera should be 8.1 VDC. However, I was seeing the full battery charging voltage of 13.5 V.

They suggested that I look at the Voyageur camera which had an input voltage range of 8 to 15 volts.
Glad they worked it out for you.

Sure seems strange that your original camera operated on (was designed for) 8 volts.

I know the side and rear cameras get their power from the Aladdin VCM and the side view cameras work on 12VDC.

What model rear camera was originally installed on your Coach?

And how did the power feed to the camera get bumped up to 13V (if it was "originally" sending 8 volts?
Or maybe your (they're) saying the camera was being supplied battery voltage, but the camera (designed for 8 VDC) was incorrectly selected and installed by Monaco and it just took this many years to fail.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Glad they worked it out for you.

Sure seems strange that your original camera operated on (was designed for) 8 volts.

I know the side and rear cameras get their power from the Aladdin VCM and the side view cameras work on 12VDC.

What model rear camera was originally installed on your Coach?

And how did the power feed to the camera get bumped up to 13V (if it was "originally" sending 8 volts?

Or maybe your (they're) saying the camera was being supplied battery voltage, but the camera (designed for 8 VDC) was incorrectly selected and installed by Monaco and it just took this many years to fail.

The coach came with the Sony VCB-MHD1 display mounted in the dash and displayed the Aladdin data as will as the rear view camera, a Sony VCB-MH1. Both are now obsolete and unavailable. However, there are substitutes available. Since the rest of the display still showed all the Aladdin data, I opted for a camera that RVCams had that was a plug in replacement. It was not a Sony product, but was recommended by TVCams. Discussions with their staff led me to check the voltage at the rear of the coach to see if I had a wiring problem. They said that the original display provided a 8.1 VDC power to the camera.however, I was seeing 13+ volts at the cable end. The coach was connected to shore power. I sent them the original camera and the checked it out and found it dead. They also checked the output open circuit voltage on an identical Sony display unit and found 8.4 volts. Clearly, I had a problem with my display unit. At that point, they suggested a Voyager camera (VCMS 20) with an adapter cable that converted the 4 pin Voyager output to the 6 pin original Sony cable. This meant that I could keep my original display and not have to run new cable. The new camera was higher definition and had an input voltage which which could accept the full coach battery voltage. It was also significantly less expensive than the originally recommended camera.
As to what caused the display unit power to output the wrong voltage, I have no idea and chose not to try to find out. Having worked as an engineer in the semiconductor business, I am aware that there a multiplicity of failure modes, from solder problems, static charge, to wear out. It didn’t seem worth the effort to find out

Dick L. ‘04 Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the follow up.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #5

I've got the sony korean replacement in mine. Piece of junk and expensive. Just ordered the same as you, voyager with the 6 to 4 pin adapter. Rvcams still sell the Korean camera and they dont like it either. Thanks!
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote