Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Kwikee step partial opening

MONACO DIPLOMAT KWIKEE STEP PROBLEM
This 2002 Diplomat has a Kwikee single step, series 38, S# 11447.
This step was bound up and would not move. I forced the step to move and then lubricated well.
The unit worked ok for a few weeks but then the unit would not extend fully and would click (like it was trying to ratchet) about 7 times and then stop with step about 80 % extended. The same clicking occurs when the step is retracted. This happens everytime.
I removed the motor and verified that motor operation was ok. I reinstalled the motor and rechecked step operation after lubricating all moving parts. Same problem still present.
I removed motor and attached gear housing. I removed gearing cover and found gearing in perfect condition.
It seems that there is a slipping gear but I have found no problem.
LJJSRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #2

I can't help since I have a Series 42 step, but when I was having difficulty Power Gear were fairly responsive. They weren't much help in my case because my problem was with how Monaco installed it, but they did point me in the right direction.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJSRZ View Post
MONACO DIPLOMAT KWIKEE STEP PROBLEM

I removed motor and attached gear housing. I removed gearing cover and found gearing in perfect condition.
It seems that there is a slipping gear but I have found no problem.

Although you have inspected the "gearing", it sounds like the gear "plugs" are disintegrating. If you are not familiar they are easy to overlook. With the motor gear cover off you will see a triangular driver in the center on the shaft and a round plastic gear on the outside diameter. In between the two items, buried in grease, are three nylon plugs that the tri gear uses to turn the round toothed gear. When these start to crush they perform exactly as you describe. If those plugs are good and you can move the stairs thru their full arc with the motor out then the controller may be bad. Of course if the steps don't move freely, then that is the problem. The gears and plugs are available at the larger auto supply houses, the motor assembly is usually a late 80's early 90's Ford Taurus , drivers door window motor, <$50.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/kwike...ml#post1715602
Old 11-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Although you have inspected the "gearing", it sounds like the gear "plugs" are disintegrating. If you are not familiar they are easy to overlook. With the motor gear cover off you will see a triangular driver in the center on the shaft and a round plastic gear on the outside diameter. In between the two items, buried in grease, are three nylon plugs that the tri gear uses to turn the round toothed gear. When these start to crush they perform exactly as you describe. If those plugs are good and you can move the stairs thru their full arc with the motor out then the controller may be bad. Of course if the steps don't move freely, then that is the problem. The gears and plugs are available at the larger auto supply houses, the motor assembly is usually a late 80's early 90's Ford Taurus , drivers door window motor, <$50.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/kwike...ml#post1715602
The plastic plugs are available at any auto parts store for about $7. Motors are same as used for electric windows in your Ford!
RickGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #5

IRV2 MEMBERS ARE THE GREATEST. NEVER HAD SUCH A WONDERFUL AND HELPFUL GROUP OF PEOPLE. THANK YOU ALL-ESPECIALLY RICK....Advance auto does have the plugs (for drivers window Ford Taurus) for $8. I installed the plugs and the step works perfectly.OU- THANKS AGAIN RICK.
LJJSRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJSRZ View Post
IRV2 MEMBERS ARE THE GREATEST. NEVER HAD SUCH A WONDERFUL AND HELPFUL GROUP OF PEOPLE. THANK YOU ALL-ESPECIALLY RICK....Advance auto does have the plugs (for drivers window Ford Taurus) for $8. I installed the plugs and the step works perfectly.OU- THANKS AGAIN RICK.
NICE !! Also,,,,if step ever malfunctions and you just want to get home, simply crawl under and pull the pin on the linkage. Then bungee -cord step in stored position until you get home. Lots of damage done if you drive with step extended !!! My scaredy-cat dog used to push on door with her butt and the step would go in and out as we went down the road. Ended up putting her on the leash attached to the chair pedestal ! WOOF!
RickGyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee