Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
X2

These coaches are put together with many non-insulated Butt connectors
/ Scotch -Loks and the likes .....then 5-10 years down the road these cheap connections become infected with the Green Death.....and then comes the trouble
For sure!!! When I installed my new step door switch I soldered the wires and used shrink tube.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #16

Thanks to all who responded to the problem with the KWICKEE step problem. I contacted the local RV dealer and found out that my coach is too old for the motor they had so I had to install the upgrade for $340. I also read a reply of going to NAPA and getting a window motor from a 91 Ford. I DID go to NAPA and they knew exactly what I wanted and ordered the part for $56. Thanks again.
zskitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Dennis, Before you get too far into the other suggestions I would follow with the comment from MrsChileRick, you may want to take a little time messing around with the connector for the sensor/motor power cable that is located under the step. We have the same year coach and mine does this on occasion. Some fiddling with the connector, a little cleaning of the contacts, some dielectric grease and mine works just fine.
You were right Glenn. I thought I'd clean up the connectors (one two wire and one four wire) and three single spade connectors under the step. The first one I took off was the one with two wires and it went to the motor. I decided to go ahead and test the motor since I had the connector off.

I used the battery from the breakaway kit on my tow dolly and connected it straight to the motor. Nothing, nada, zilch. Then I reversed the leads and viola! The step retracted. Reversed it again and it extended. I lubed the steps and moved it back and forth a bunch of times just to be sure it would work. I cleaned the contacts on all the connectors with electrical contact cleaner and lubed them with dielectric grease before putting them back together.

The step works great again. I'll bet this is the first time in 17 years those connectors have been apart so they should be good for another 17!
Old 08-07-2017, 02:21 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
That's great.
I also found out the bulb on the orange light under the step is replaceable. Hartman was close. It's a 194 bulb. I popped the lens off with a small screw driver and replaced the bulb with a 194LL (long life).
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
That's great.
I also found out the bulb on the orange light under the step is replaceable. Hartman was close. It's a 194 bulb. I popped the lens off with a small screw driver and replaced the bulb with a 194LL (long life).
I also added a white LED under there which spreads light out about three feet from the step. It helps a lot at night.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #20
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
That's great.
I wonder if there is a led bulb replacement for that? I'm assuming the 194 bulb was incandescent?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, Amazon has several 194 LED replacements. Need to watch the size as some get too large to fit under the lens.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #22
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Yes, Amazon has several 194 LED replacements. Need to watch the size as some get too large to fit under the lens.
Thanks v.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
You were right Glenn. I thought I'd clean up the connectors (one two wire and one four wire) and three single spade connectors under the step. The first one I took off was the one with two wires and it went to the motor. I decided to go ahead and test the motor since I had the connector off.

I used the battery from the breakaway kit on my tow dolly and connected it straight to the motor. Nothing, nada, zilch. Then I reversed the leads and viola! The step retracted. Reversed it again and it extended. I lubed the steps and moved it back and forth a bunch of times just to be sure it would work. I cleaned the contacts on all the connectors with electrical contact cleaner and lubed them with dielectric grease before putting them back together.

The step works great again. I'll bet this is the first time in 17 years those connectors have been apart so they should be good for another 17!

Nice Dennis, great to hear it wasn't anything that required expensive replacement parts. Certainly lots of electrical connectors throughout the coach that are prone to issues from corrosion over time. Some emery cloth, a wire brush and dielectric grease is your friend is part of my travel tool set.

Happy motoring,
Glenn
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
step problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman2112 View Post
I have to tap my motor with a hammer if it's been sitting more than a day. I would still suggest trying to fix it but that might help you when you're in a pinch. I usually have the wife open and shut the door while I give it a few soft taps.
I had the same problem on my 2002 Windsor. After doing the troubleshooting provided in the Quickee owners manual, I isolated the problem to the motor. Being somewhat handy, I decided to take the motor apart and try to fix it rather than order a new assembly. I found arching had been going on by the motor brushes. I cleaned the dirty armature by polishing with fine sandpaper. It was difficult reassembling the motor without the magnet pulling the armature out and the brush springs flying out. I finally prevailed and it works fine,(so far) . If it does it again, new motor assembly. It's an easy 3 bolts and it's off.
uffdaracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps