Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #1

Unhappy Ladder damaged!

I did it! I snagged the left hand top rail of my ladder on a low hanging branch. I tore the rail out of the mount on top without damaging the mount and the rail broke off at the top step. I removed the star inserts and screw from the broken off piece of rail to re-use. Can anybody tell me where to get replacement parts?

Signed,
Idiot.
lowellhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Don't have an answer, but interested in what you find out - I was parked when a tree
dropped a 6 inch branch on top of my Endeavor. Ladder gave it's life to protect the RV,
can't find any information on where to get a replacement.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a different part issue ( mirror) , i emailed the coach builder with my VIN #, they answered with the part manufacturer that they used, so i could contact them directly.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
Ladder gave it's life to protect the RV,
LOL !!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've tried to purchase a used ladder from the salvage yard but they refused to sell them. They prefer to sell the entire rear cap.

You can purchase repair kits:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-8-...oAAOSwkApffIPD

You can also purchase new standoff kits:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stromberg-C...IAAOSw7ytdAoxt

Replacing the upper part of the left rail is going to take some fabrication. They use 1" dia alum tubing. You may be able to use something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-HAND-ASS...oAAOSw7t9eBhuz

Or try to replace the entire ladder with a universal version.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stromberg-C...QAAOSw8SddxBcQ
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 AM   #6

lowelhett-

I elected to repair my rear roof ladder, rather than replace it. I used parts from Factory RV Surplus and etrailer. Here's a post I made.

Monaco (parts department) might quote you a new ladder. The one for our coach is:

Part number 10120385
Part cost $460.67
Delivery cost $175
Order-to-delivery 16 weeks

Monaco orders this ladder from a wholesale-only manufacturer (Christianson Industries, Edwardsburg, MI, Ashlee <ashlee_orders@yahoo.com>, (269) 663-8502); I could order parts from them, but not a whole ladder.

If it's still there (ours wasn't), there should be a label under the bottom step of the ladder that shows the part number.

Here's a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the phrases "Monaco" and "ladder" in them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
YC1

Great links Vito. Thanks for the effort. I will save these for future posts.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc290 View Post
I had a different part issue ( mirror) , i emailed the coach builder with my VIN #, they answered with the part manufacturer that they used, so i could contact them directly.

Agree. Contact the coach manufacturer. they will either sell you what you want or give you the contact information for the ladder manufacturer.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #9

Thanks to all of you who offered advice. After searching for the correct grade and color of tubing, the correct radius bender and everything else I would need just to replace the left hand rail, I decided to buy a new ladder. REV parts was very helpful in selecting the part using the vin#. Although the price is a little high, the new complete ladder will meet the specifications for maximum weight limit where a repaired ladder could cause some liability concerns.
Regards,
LHett
lowellhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:01 PM   #10

Direct replacement for what you have on your coach - and this is who manufactured it too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you don't like the cast metal hinge section (and I didn't) you can find some aluminum pipe that will perfectly fit inside the ladder pipe, and drill / bolt the sections together with that instead. This is what I did and the result is immensely strong, better than the original design.

I also drilled out the weak factory standoff rivets and installed "riv-nuts" instead which rivet into the fiberglass and result in a threaded socket that can be reused if you ever need to replace the ladder again.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Never felt comfortable with the oem ladders 'flexing' when I climbed on it,

scary enough with that final lean over the roof with no higher hand holds

And given they are designed for the 150# techs and not 'normal' people,

I decided to get a collapsible extension ladder 2 foot taller than the coach so I could get up to most of the roof without getting up on the roof...

Takes up less room in the basement than the bottom removable portion of my oem ladder YRMV
Old 10-27-2020, 07:35 AM   #12

Has anyone looked into having a local welding shop make the two ladder rails and buying bolt on treads from a marine supplier ? We have had both alum and stainless railings made for boats. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box. In this case look at other industries. Boats use ladders to the flybridge all the time.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote