RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #1

Question LaPalma 7 pin tow connection

Hi Friends,
I have a 2004/5 Monaco LaPalma, Workhorse chassis. Last year we bought a new toad, 2019 Chevy Equinox and had tow and brake system installed. What was not installed was a charge line from the coach to the toad. This is needed because the Equinox battery will go dead after several hours.

I was hoping to find a 12V charging Pin on the 7 pin connector but have not been able to do so. I have been able to identify: ground, tail lights, LH Turn/brake, RH Turn/brake. This leaves three unidentified. I found no back up lights or 12V out.

It appears not to be any kind of standard configuration as the LH Turn/brake is on the center pin. I will try to post a pic showing the configuration.
Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a 12V out pin here and if so where the fuse might be ?

I am thinking of just running a new wire via a 15A breaker from the coach batteries if it is easier.
Thanks for your help.
Bellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #2

Here is pic I hope
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bellows-

See this post. You and Ray should get together and do a two-for-the-price-of-one thread. Same coach, same toad.

Your coach's "pinout" is not standard. You will want to fix that. See the "Vehicle Side 7-Way RV Standard" in the link I posted on the other thread (repeated here).

You will need to run a charge line on your own. Monaco didn't do it until around 2006 model year, or so.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 HR, sister to the LaPalma. To get things to work, it had to have a combiner unit that takes the separate brake/turn wires and makes them trailer output ready. In addition, it had to have a brake controller wire run from the cab. I do not need a 12v source (dolly) but that will have to be run too (probably can come from battery bay). I can give you some pictures of my wiring setup if that would help. I just finished up in May adding the brake controller to the already existing wiring. Steve
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #5

Thanks

Thank you all for your quick responses. Actually I checked with eTrailer before I started. I like them and bought my Roadmaster Baseplate and brake system as well as LED taillights from them. Good company. Their kit was a 15A breaker, some ring terminals, a couple of self tapping screws, some wire and plastic wire ties along with advice that I would have to change my toad connector and find power from the coach For $40.
I decided since I have most of that stuff I would go it alone. My system already works so I don’t want to change much.
You have convinced Me to just add wire to my spiral wrapped loom from a 15A breaker In the coach battery compt.
I may change the connector at the toad from a flat four to a five or six or just use another disconnect piece I already have.
Thanks Everyone
Old 06-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #6

Almost forgot,
Do you think I should use a 15A breaker on the toad as well as on the MH?
Thanks
Old 06-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #7

Bellows-

You should install a fuse or breaker on both ends of a charge line, as near the batteries as possible.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #8

OP.

From your post, it is typical to have only four wires to the camper 7-blade socket, and you have those four connections. It appears that you also have the "combiner" which allows the separate turn and brake lights to function as one connection at the socket.

I would strongly advise that you rewire the 7-blade socket to standard configuration, and do the same with your toad socket. The link showing the photos of various receptacles is the one to use. Scroll down to the "Vehicle Side 7-way" photos and note the center pictures. The top one should be how the drawing of your camper socket should look. You will avoid much confusion in the future, IMO.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Bellows-

You should install a fuse or breaker on both ends of a charge line, as near the batteries as possible.
Thanks. It makes sense and I am glad for the confirmation.

Tags
tow