Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #15

I have S&T 2008 on the laptop and ask any of you how to get my Garmin 200W to act as the GPS sensor for the laptop running S&T via USB cable.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I looked hard at copilot software and found:

1. Secondary/local roads are NOT included in the height restrictions data base,

2. Found complaints of inability to search all POIs unless in guidance mode with the GPS receiver active, and

3. I didn't think their software was competitively priced.

I continue to use Delorme's Street Atlas.

CC
Old 09-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi CC,

That was good feedback, thanks very much.

I have ordered the Garmin Mobile PC for Laptops, but I am having a bit of problem getting the correct version, the version with a USB attached GPS receiver (just software vs software with GPS receiver) from the vendor. Should I get all that resolved I'll post thoughts about it.

Thanks again for the feedback. As for myself, not having height data on secondary roads would have been a show stopper in buying it. Particularly with the price being what it is.
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 AM   #18

Bench,

I think the challenge to making a laptop accessible to pilot/co-pilot will be mounting hardware that allows movement.

One thought, depending on your dash, is to use a Ram mount with extensions, mounted to your center post area, leaving the cinch knobs just loose enough to allow the laptop to swivel between pilot/co-pilot positions or un-cinch, move and re-cinch.

Here's pics of similar, but shorter, Ram hardware that might allow such movement:

Old 09-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #19

Can't tell how the mount attaches to the dash from your photo. What brand and model mount, and laptop in your photos? Thanks
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #20

Rick,

The mount attaches to the right of the pic against the pillar and rests on the dash. It is secure.

The laptop is a Fujitsu 1610 "notebook" with a swiveling display, folded into tablet mode:
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...o?series=P1620

The mount was an Ram aviation mount that I modified, however it appears that Ram is now making a Fujitsu specific mount:

http://www.ram-mount.com/products/aviationmounts.htm
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #21

Thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rmmpe:
I have S&T 2008 on the laptop and ask any of you how to get my Garmin 200W to act as the GPS sensor for the laptop running S&T via USB cable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have S&T 07 but it should be about the same and this is the way I would do it (it is other ways of doing the same)First plug the Garmin in to the lap top w/USB, L click on start R click on my computer go to the bottom L click on properties L click on Hardware L click on device mgr go to the Ports (com & Lpt)click on the + that will show you your Com #, go to your S&T window and open tools click on config GPS and click on the com port you recorded from Com & Lpt, if that dont get it run a scan (bottom left)click OK and top page of S&T click GPS in GPS window check start.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #23

Here's a review covering the 2008 version of MicroSoft's Streets and Trips. PART I and PART II

Peter
Old 09-07-2008, 02:09 AM   #24

Thank you for the response(s).
I will check it out.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote