RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Larger Front Tire on Dynasty

I have a 2008 Dynasty 45 with Tag, currently has 295/80/225, i need 2 tag tires was thinking about putting new tires on the front size305 or 315 225’s, I was wondering if anyone has upgraded to that size and had any clearance issues?
Thought having a little more load capacity in the tires never hurts
Paulroughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have upgraded two of our coaches to 315/80R-22.5 front tires. I did the same thing, bought two new front tires and put the old 295 tires on the tag.
Monaco made the 315 tire standard equipment on the 2009 Signature. If they had continued in business I'm sure the Executive, Dynasty, Navigator, and Marquis would have followed.

I did not have clearance issues with either coach. I did read that a Navigator owner said he had a clearance issue on the right (passenger) side with the air bag mounting plate and the tire turned. Do some careful measuring with the coach at ride height. Turn the front tires both directions.

With less front tire air pressure, you will instantly notice the improved ride and less jolt on bridge abutments.

The load capacity of the 315 tire can exceed the load capacity of the 8.25" wheel. The smaller load capacity of the wheel overrides the new tire. You have to also change to a 9" wide wheel to gain the full 315 tire load capacity.

I searched for 9" wheels and spoke to one of the Accuride wheel engineers. They no longer make wheels with the Monaco decorative D shaped hole. The load capacity of the 8.25" wheel is more than enough so I elected to not purchase the 9" wheel.

There is more to this. The tire catalogs used to have an asterisk next to the 315 tire specs. It referred to a note that reduced the load capacity when mounted on a 8.25" wheel. These notes are no longer in the new catalog. The tire and wheel are the same, only the catalog changed. I suspect the company lawyers got involved. The 315 tire still fits the 8.25" wide wheel and rides great. Just don't exceed the wheel load capacity.

Monaco is not the only coach manufacturer with 295 size front tire overloading. A friend with a Newmar Essex also upgraded his front tires to 315. This is on a Spartan chassis.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about this issue!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I also made the same tire size change on the steer axle, no clearance problem. Lets me run a slightly lower pressure and a much smoother ride.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
315 on a 42’ 04 Dynasty was a close fit on R front because of the stairs... put 40K miles on them before selling to my son. Plenty of room on my 08 45’ Navigator, even with the wider stairs/door.

Some misinformation on using a 315 on a 8.25” rim, as a single (on the front) because the 8.25 rim is only rated 7600 lbs but a 315 at 115 psi is 7920. When mounted as a dual there is not a footnote on derating because you’re not exceeding 7600 lbs at 120 psi.

I went from 115 psi to 100 psi on my Navigator by putting 315 on the front. Put 11Rs (very common, cheap truck tire) on the rear of my Dynasty by increasing rear pressures by 10 psi...85 to 95 on the drive. May do the same on the Nav but will have to go to 100 on the drive. A 11R is the same diameter as a 295/80/22.5.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, Ill go out and measure but it seems as if the newer ones should fit a larger FRT Tire
Paulroughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would say it’s the extra space with a 45’, not newer... 04-07 there wasn’t a 45’ Dynasty. A friend with a 06 42’ Dynasty owner was able to grind off enough of the airbag mounting plate to get a 315 to fit.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I looked at this once and the measurements did not work out well to the right front air bag base. I may revisit this when I need new tires in another year by making a 1/2 inch spacer, which is basically the radius difference i believe, and turning the wheels while at ride height and a little lower simulating a light turn and make sure there is clearance. I would surely like to do this but measurements were to close to try. May work harder at it next time though. Some brands at the time required the 9" wheel in order to mount the tire like Bridgestone, I was told. I was intending to use a Michelin on the 8.25 wheel. It seems that maybe there was no consistent place to mount the airbag bases from coach to coach. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I hope everyone realizes that increasing the weight capabilities of the tires does not increase the weight capacity of the front axle. The weight capacity of your steering axle remains the same as what it was from the factory. Just sayin. Good luck Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #9

My 04 42 dynasty already had the Mich(cracked) tires on it on 8.25's, they were just 5 years old and stored inside most of the year. The Bridgestone's aged out for me @ 7 years on the rear and went to some farmers that used them for another few years. They still looked like new @ 7 years.

I replaced them with the Continental Coach 315's which are rated for the 8.25's
I would have put TOYO's on as that is what I have run on the my other units and on the back of this one, but they were not rated for the 8.25's.

2004 Monaco Dynasty
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
10*+ years ago more manufacturers listed a 315 on a 8.25” rim as OK. Then some added a footnote about derating if on a 8.25 rim as a single, BUT if you kept reading it was not derated mounted as a dual...does not exceed the load rating of the 8.25” rim. Now the lawyers have gotten involved so fewer list the 8.25” rim.

Yes, if you have a front axle with more than 15,400 lbs on it, you need a 9” rim for a 315 and hopefully a axle rated even higher. Around 07 Monaco started moving the fuel tank to the second bay reducing the weight on the front axle. I’m a 14,000 lbs on my 45’ 08 Navigator (15,160 axle)...500 lbs less than my 42’ 04 Dynasty.

I didn’t really need a 315 on the Navigator, but the softer ride with 10+ less pressure was worth the slightly higher price. Having put over 60,000+ miles using 315s there has not been any unusual wear and the temperature runs a little less.