Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Leaking slide seal when slide is out - which seal?

My living room slide leaks ( rainwater getting inside) when the slide is out. Does this mean the inner seal is leaking? What is used for the inner seal and how hard is it to change?

Or is the outer seal the main seal to prevent leakage?
Or do indeed to replace both seals?

I think the seals are original (13 years old). The outer is the only one i a see - it has some cracking but otherwise looks pretty good.

What do i need to do?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am not sure what year unit you have. If your seals are good and lubricated with seal spray you might have this issue. On mine I had some water get in when I first got the unit. After some investigating I found That although the rig was level, when the slide was out water would sometimes pool on top of the slide out in a heavy rain. On mine when you start to pull the slide in, the bottom pulls in first. It’s not much but slightly before the top edge. I found that if I fully extend the slide then bump the retract switch it was enough to solve the water pooling issue by pitching the slide slightly outward. Never a drop since.
You could also check the level mechanism of your unit to make certain it is correct.
Hope this helps

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, didn’t see the 13 year old, dah

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It leaks in the lower corner. carpet is getting wet.
When i run the slide in a little i can feel the edge and there is some sort of flexible strip there. i don’t know if this is a water seal or dust seal or has nothing to do with the leak.
Coach is level when it leaks. It’s not a big leak, but something i think needs to be fixed or it will just get worse.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know how the seals are made on your coach, but will try to help.

Do you have slide toppers? If so, are they tight and shedding rainwater as they should, or can you see water on top of the slide below the toppers?

On many RV's the inside and outside seal is one piece, going through the wall.

With the slide out, is the top seal pressing tightly against the top of the slide or can you see a crack anywhere along the top?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Joe,
The topper has some sag to it. I can see were some water puddles on it. But the leak is happening when the slide is just sitting out (not when I run it back in). Does a sagging topper contribute to the leak even when the slide is stationary?

My main question is: Is the skinny foam inner seal there to prevent water leaks - or is it the outer seal that is designed to stop water intrusion?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

Slide toppers do not prevent leaks as many RVs don't have them. I would isolate the leak using a garden hose on the bottom corner first then the top.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As Monacoach stated, slide toppers are not to prevent leaks but rather to catch debris that you would have to clean off the slide before retracting. They do keep most of the water off the top of the slider so they would help if you have a leaking seal.

The outer seal is the primary leak preventer and the inner seal is a backup.

What about my other questions about how tight to outer top seal is against the top of the slideout?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What about my other questions about how tight to outer top seal is against the top of the slideout?
I'll need to climb up the ladder to get a good look. I think it is a little loose at the top corners, but I can't see the top edge from the ground or from the roof. I'll report back.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
It leaks in the lower corner. carpet is getting wet.
When i run the slide in a little i can feel the edge and there is some sort of flexible strip there. i don’t know if this is a water seal or dust seal or has nothing to do with the leak.
Coach is level when it leaks. It’s not a big leak, but something i think needs to be fixed or it will just get worse.
Monaco coaches have a poor designed slideout bottom edge that has sealing problems and lets water intrusion occur. many posts here and elsewhere and the solution is to ensure a good seal at the bottom of the end walls where you will see an upturned edge. If leakage continues, major damage can occur requiring repairs or at least TALIN GUARDIAN PLATES. Are your rollers cracking the underside? check it out. TB
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There were some posts some time back which discussed the adding of small channeling strips on the side of the slide. It was mounted maybe 18 inches high on the coach side and sloped to the outside of the slide. Not sure where folks found them, but as I recall they had a glue strip on the back of the rubber/vinyl strip to keep it attached to the slide. I used a similar design to channel the water away from the slide bottom to help keep the water going to the outside of the slide. Hopefully, someone reading this will remember that post and what the channeling strips were called. Good luck. David.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #12

Mike

Does the outer seal flip out when the slide is out ?
I believe that is the primary water seal and it needs to flip .
My flip seal has 2 bulb seals attached to it , one on the inside and
another outside .
These may be an important water seal too .

Some coaches have a strip of rough sand paper like material ( anti slip tread )
on the slide wall to encourage the seal to flip .
A seal can be seen from inside when the slide is in , it
will be on the backside of the wood trim

This is probably mostly an air and dust seal .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #13

Lean your rv slightly toward the slide. It doesnt need to be much, just enough to stop water running toward the rv on top of the slide. A piece of rubber laying flat against a wall or roof can only do so much to stop water. It will never be 100 percent waterproof. I learned a long time ago to just keep the rv tipped ever so slightly toward the slide, and they never leak. jmho
Old 08-07-2018, 04:11 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the advice.

@Ray, the seal does tend to fold in. I have sprayed the seals with the "seal lube" but it still wants to roll in on itself in a couple of places. Maybe a new (stiffer?) OEM seal will help correct this.

@winniman, if I lean the coach slightly that may help on the side that is leaking (at least until I can get the seal replaced) but that might also result in the other side slide leaking. Still worth a try. Thanks

So do I need to try and get a new inner seal too? Or just do the outer seal for now and see if that fixes the problem.
As I mentioned, I'm not sure if the inner seal is actually a weather seal or just there for dust/noise. It doesn't feel very substantial. And it looks like it would be hard to get at.

Tags
leak, seal, slide