Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Leaking Vanity Water Supply

The fitting on the end of the blue cold water supply line is leaking. I tightened it up, but it didn't stop the leak. How do I go about putting a new fitting on the blue plastic line?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You might try using some Teflon tape on the fitting before trying to change it.

Your fitting probably has the crimp type connector. If you have enough slack in the line you could just cut if off. If not take a dremel tool and cut the band off and pull the fitting off, if it's tight try using a hair dryer to loosen/expand the pex pipe.

You should be able to get a replacement fitting from Home Depot or Lowes.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
...and if you remove it in order to replace it; Sharkbite fittings are the way to go. If you do a lot of them, you might consider the crimping too (about $50) and standard fittings, but for one or two, Sharbites are super easy.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
You might try using some Teflon tape on the fitting before trying to change it.

Your fitting probably has the crimp type connector. If you have enough slack in the line you could just cut if off. If not take a dremel tool and cut the band off and pull the fitting off, if it's tight try using a hair dryer to loosen/expand the pex pipe.

You should be able to get a replacement fitting from Home Depot or Lowes.
Jim, it looks like the water is coming out between the fitting and the blue pipe and not the union between the faucet and supply line.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

Take the pipe off and look at the end. Assuming you are dealing with a supply fitting on a faucet they have some kind of rubber gasket in that gets clamped by the fitting and the end of the supply pipe. If the gasket is damaged it will not seal. If the ring that clamps the end of the pipe is stripped so it slips on the threaded pipe on the faucet it will not clamp hard enough to prevent leaks.

Most likely you will end up replacing the end fitting that attaches to the faucet. You might want to consider using one of these:

SharkBite 1/2 in. Chrome-Plated Brass Push-to-Connect x 3/8 in. O.D. Compression Quarter-Turn Straight Stop Valve-23037-0000LF - The Home Depot

and one of these:

BrassCraft 3/8 in. Compression x 1/2 in. FIP x 12 in. Braided Polymer Faucet Connector-B1-12A F - The Home Depot

There are variations in material and length on the tubing so you can match what you need. If you go long make a loop in the tubing.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It looks like Shark Bite doesn't make a push on stop that will fit a 3/8" PEX tube. That's too bad because I like the idea of having stops underneath the sinks. I ended up using a push on male adapter and a 1/2" to 1/2" braided feed line. I'm not sold on the push on fitting, but it's no longer leaking It just seems too easy! LOL. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy the crimp tool and replace the push on fitting with a crimp on stop down the road.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

3/8" ?????

RV PEX is 1/2".........unless yours is special
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I'm not sold on the push on fitting, but it's no longer leaking It just seems too easy! LOL. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy the crimp tool and replace the push on fitting with a crimp on stop down the road.
Sharkbite is rated and approved for concealed spaces. I understand what you are saying, but they are a very good and permanent fitting.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
3/8" ?????

I've got both 1/2 and 3/8 for some reason. The bath vanity is 3/8. I bought 1/2 and had to take it back.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
3/8" ?????

Have to agree, 1/2" in most all RVs. I bought kit with some basic fittings from Lowes whole kit with cutter for clamps 75 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 03-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Have to agree, 1/2" in most all RVs. I bought kit with some basic fittings from Lowes whole kit with cutter for clamps 75 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
I have 1/2 running around before the monobloc and 3/8 feeding the faucets,toilet and shower.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I thought I'd update you on the leak. We took the coach out over the long Memorial day weekend and the Sharkbite connector didn't leak with the city water attached. These things are great!

Tags
leak, water