Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #29

Just returned from Q, and a friend of mine replaced all of his halogens with the LED plate shown above. His are all warm white that mimic a warm florescent, around 2800k. The color is beautiful and much broader than the halogens that maks colors really pop. He says they are brighter, but I haven't seen a real A<>B. I did buy one for my bath counter and it is very very close in intensity.

MOST LED's cannot be dimmed because they have either on-board regulators or DC-DC switching supplies to provide constant voltage to the LEDs. I was told that there are a very few coming out that are direct DC that can be dimmed, but thats a small market.

Edit: Here is what I have:
G4 6-17V
24SMD 120 Degree
Warm White

Got it from the guy right outside the tent where they sell the chairs, etc. He apparently supplies a lot of the other vendors at Q. He has no website up yet but that's on the way. Here's his card:

Jin's Associates
Donald Chin
510-865-7941
email: jinsassociates (at) yahoo.com

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
One picture worth a thousand words? Here is what they look like installed. I also note that the light is completely cool when turned on while the lights with halogen bulbs are pretty hot.

One picture

Attachment 2501

Lew
I would like to do this also but all my fixtures like this have dimmer switches. Will this work with the dimmer?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Most if not all Diplomat's do not have dimmer capabilities. Unless somebody added them.
I have these spot type lights under each of the cabinets, over couches, table, bed, and dresser. They each have two spots connected to a rotary light switch that dims the light. would the LEDs work with the switch turned to the highest power only?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Jeepsrule, I don't know if they would work in that situation. I know that LED lights in general need a pretty well regulated voltage supply and that the breakpoint between working and failing is pretty sharp. Since I assume your control for these lights first turn on the power and then ramps up the voltage as you turn the knob further I would be worried about what happens as you go from low to higher voltage. You might want to buy a light and try it and see what happens, or you could call one of the LED light suppliers and ask them. Maybe someone here has other ideas, I am reaching a bit beyond my expertise on this one. Sorry.

Lew
Old 01-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
Jeepsrule, I don't know if they would work in that situation. I know that LED lights in general need a pretty well regulated voltage supply and that the breakpoint between working and failing is pretty sharp. Since I assume your control for these lights first turn on the power and then ramps up the voltage as you turn the knob further I would be worried about what happens as you go from low to higher voltage. You might want to buy a light and try it and see what happens, or you could call one of the LED light suppliers and ask them. Maybe someone here has other ideas, I am reaching a bit beyond my expertise on this one. Sorry.

Lew
Thanks. That is exactly the way the switches work, so I'll have to do some research on it.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #34

See up.... As mentioned above, according to the folks in Quartzsite there are manufacturers some now removing their regulators from the LED assemblies so they CAN be dimmed. In the long run I don't know how practical that will be considering the coach moves around from 11.69(ish) volts to as high as 15 when in a de-sulfate mode. I thought about doing this too but decided to keep the existing lamps in until I get motivated enough to regulate the input of the dimmer instead.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote