Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Let's play a guessing game

We just took our first trip in our 05 Signature. Not a good one. Less than two hours into the trip, we developed major problems. I have the Detroit Diesel engine. I will describe the systems and you guys guess thecause . Should be very informative for you Detroit owners. The engine started bucking and backfiring and belching black smoke. Because this unit set for three years, my first thought was fuel filters. Nope. Six hours later we figured it out. I want you guys to take a shot at it. Then I will reveal the culprit.
Alphamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #2

Black smoke......incorrect fuel/air ratio......fuel rich

Air cleaner or obstruction in induction
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #3

Since these engines are near bullet proof, I know it's not major components. So I'll guess turbocharger related. Or crack in charge air cooler. Maybe?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:49 PM   #4

Well so far it looks like the EGR valve. Had two different people tell me it was probably the turbo,(without even looking at it). Then I talked to a lady at another shop and she said unplug the EGR valve and see if it stops. It did. Now I am just suffering from a lack of power and a little black smoke when I take off. NowIhave to try to find one. It only has 28,000 miles so you wouldn't think it should anything serious.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

It may just need to be cleaned instead of replacing it.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #6

Someone suggested cleaning it but I was not sure that was possible. Can you clean these things on the Detroit Diesels?