Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Let's talk Aqua Hot

The next thing on the list to tackle with the Signature is the Aqua Hot. I'm sure it's been quite neglected and it will be in need of some TLC on the next outing.

I'm going to continue to research, but what are YOUR recommendations for getting an older Aqua Hot back up to prime working condition?

It seemed to work on our trip home when we bought it a few weeks ago. When we took it out this weekend for her maiden voyage, after the drive in, the hot water worked and the overflow tank was between the hot and cold marks.

After sitting for a day or so, there was zero coolant in the overflow and we didn't have any hot water. I turned it off and we took cold showers. That wasn't much of a problem since it was about 102F outside all weekend.

However, coming soon... temps are going to start falling and there will no longer be a want for cold showers.

I have pretty good access to the system. I don't know the size of it, or really anything about it yet, but it's time to start figuring it out!
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There's quite a bit of readily available information on the care and feeding of AquaHot products. I'm guessing the most reliable source would be the AquaHot Manuals themselves.

There's also what looks to be a 7 part series available on YouTube that was posted a couple years back by a guy posting under the name "The Static Nomadic" - on Aquahot maintenance. It's an interesting look at the guts of the AquaHot. As with anything you find on YouTube - you have to make the call as to whether or not the poster knows his stuff ... or just another wanker with a video camera and a desire to upload. Here are the links .....

Old 07-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
The next thing on the list to tackle with the Signature is the Aqua Hot. I'm sure it's been quite neglected and it will be in need of some TLC on the next outing.

I'm going to continue to research, but what are YOUR recommendations for getting an older Aqua Hot back up to prime working condition?

It seemed to work on our trip home when we bought it a few weeks ago. When we took it out this weekend for her maiden voyage, after the drive in, the hot water worked and the overflow tank was between the hot and cold marks.

After sitting for a day or so, there was zero coolant in the overflow and we didn't have any hot water. I turned it off and we took cold showers. That wasn't much of a problem since it was about 102F outside all weekend.

However, coming soon... temps are going to start falling and there will no longer be a want for cold showers.

I have pretty good access to the system. I don't know the size of it, or really anything about it yet, but it's time to start figuring it out!

Besides the routine stuff like nozzle, flame sensor, filter and check burner tube for any cracks replace all the rubber gaskets on the motor mount and blower. These are likely brittle and will leak causing black smoke.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The engine heat provides hot water that lasts for hours after parking. The electric takes overnight to get hot if on shore or generator power. Normally you turn on the diesel for awhile then the electric will maintain hot water and a moderate amount of heat.
Check out the manual as there are highly recommended maintenance procedures such as the diesel filter and orifice. Exercise the diesel monthly. These things are expensive to replace.

Check out Roger Berke's site RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home
Old 07-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Let's talk Aqua Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
The engine heat provides hot water that lasts for hours after parking. The electric takes overnight to get hot if on shore or generator power. Normally you turn on the diesel for awhile then the electric will maintain hot water and a moderate amount of heat.
Check out the manual as there are highly recommended maintenance procedures such as the diesel filter and orifice. Exercise the diesel monthly. These things are expensive to replace.

Check out Roger Berke's site RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home

X2 on Roger's forum. I order all my parts and tools from him. Once I ordered some expensive boiler antifreeze from him and instead of shipping it and pocketing the profit he emailed me and told me my unit did not require safe to drink antifreeze.

Great info on his site too including manuals.

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Old 07-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You stated that the overflo tank is now empty. With the system cold, remove the pressure cap on top of the unit and add the specified coolant till it is full then add coolant to the overflo to the cold mark. Then fire up the diesel burner till the tank is hot and then check for hot water. You should check all the circ pumps to see if they are running in their zone when selected. Put all the thermostat modes into furnace and then run the temp up till the system kicks in for the selected zone. You should hear the fans in the zone selected and feel heat coming out of them. Then check the overflo tank to see if it is still at the full mark if not add more coolant. Sounds like you are low on coolant and the low coolant lite on the controller may be on. Also check the controller to see if a fault LED is on, if so press the reset button to reset the controller. All this applies to my system. It may work differently for yours depending on the model.
Ron
Old 07-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Also replace aqua hot radiator cap...it's a std 13 lb and cheap....
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #8

If you are going to Madison for fmca convention the guy I use will be there and he will repair an issue with mine. He is very good and gives self maint instructions while he works.

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Good information guys. I'll be tearing into that thing this weekend. The coolant looks (sorta) kinda greenish. I don't believe it's pink at all. Gotta try to find some boiler coolant I guess. I'll check my ream of paperwork and see if there is anything on the Aqua Hot in there.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My 1994 Signature also has green coolant in the Aquahot.

Is the burner firing off at all?

Do you have power going to it? My Aquahot12V fuse is in the 12 V distribution panel behind the monitor panel above the cooktop.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never met the man but here's one:

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
Quote:
I will be at the FMCA Convention in Madison, WI. from July 28th to Aug. 1st 2015. I will be providing annual service's and repair on all model of Aqua Hot, Hydro Hot, & Oasis Heating Systems.

I will be with Aqua Hot Heating Systems (The Factory). They will have a booth inside the Alliant Energy Center Booth #601

You can sign up for service or repairs there. If you would like for me to work on your heater please ask for me. Or you can call, email or sign up by clicking this link: Aqua Hot Service

Aqua Hot Service
John Carrillo will be providing Aqua Hot & Hydro Hot Service at the FMCA's 92nd Family Reunion & Motorhome Showcase "Escape to Wisconsin" Madison, Wis...

View on heatmyrv.com
Preview by Yahoo

FORMER AQUA HOT EMPLOYEE OF 9 YEARS
OVER 16 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN SERVICE & REPAIR
(First come first serve, limited availability)
Cell # 970-518-3085
Email: jcarrillo@aqua-hotservices.com

Thank you,

John Carrillo
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
Good information guys. I'll be tearing into that thing this weekend. The coolant looks (sorta) kinda greenish. I don't believe it's pink at all. Gotta try to find some boiler coolant I guess. I'll check my ream of paperwork and see if there is anything on the Aqua Hot in there.

Depends which model you have. Mine uses regular antifreeze. Your's may too. Depends on the model and if the water coil is internal to the boiler.

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I'll be heading over to storage tomorrow at lunch to start getting things figured out. Won't make Madison this year as we aren't going full time until January 2017. I've got some time to get things road ready. I didn't really understand how the system actually worked until this afternoon. I'm not sure I've ever heard the burner fire off. Not even sure if it would allow itself with the coolant level being low and all.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Castrol, the Aquahot system can be intimidating but studying the service manual makes it much easier to understand the operation, maintenance and trouble shooting of the unit. I was very reluctant to attempt the repairs on mine but decided to tackle the diagnosis and repair myself. After reading the manual carefully and applying the troubleshooting guide for the symptoms, I discovered I had a faulty coil (ignition unit), and the electrodes were worn beyond service limits. As the burner unit has to be removed to perform other tests; ie, fuel pressure, flame sensor (electric eye), inspect the chamber, etc. I also performed the recommended maintenance of replacing the main fuel nozzle, and fuel filter (external). I did have a couple of questions pop up that the factory Aquahot techs were quick to answer via a phone call. All in all it's not that difficult a job for the average DIY'er.

The link below is a manual that covers most of the units installed in our model year Sigs. Hope this helps!

http://www.aquahot.com/eSource/ecom/...09-27-2011.pdf

PS. if the burner is on, the "exhaust" coming out of the Aquahot "tailpipe" (and the pipe as well) will be very hot. Be careful when you check this.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote