Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Lets talk Aqua-Hot Bay heat.

We are heading from Michigan to Fla. Soon and coach has been winterized already by me.
My initial thought was leave it winterized until we hit a warmer climate. However the boss told me today that should will not be happy in that situation …but it is what it is and if that the way it has to be…so be it.

So with that being said and assuming I can get water from my tap late next week I have a few questions.
Where is this bay thermostat located?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1453602922

I don’t recall seeing it while diving into aqua hot hell maybe someone can point me in a direction?
Is there a duct that I can feel heat coming from just to be sure …. Feeling believes.
I have previously viewed my bay temps on my Aladdin before but only really paid any attention to what they were as of today.
Both temps measured while parked in the garage were.. outside 42f and bay read 42f if I recall correctly.
I just want to be damn sure this bay heat is in proper working order and not risk any frozen plumbing issues…..especially with and Aqua-Hot system.

I also see a what appears to be more than just digital thermostat just sitting on the edge of where the galley slide goes in to the coach …anyone care to guess what this is? it is not fasten down as a matter I never knew it was there until my granddaughter walk up with it in her hand while we were in an RV park Colorado and said “poppa whats this? “ I said where did you find that? and she showed me and she said it was just sitting on the inside ledge of the galley slide opening. So I set it back on there and it has been ther for the last 8k miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay heat.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	117166  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 05:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On my '09 Camelot, I don't have this thermostat. Here is wht keeps my wet bay warm and toasty:

AH uses small-ish heat exchangers to provide warmth. My coach has three zones: there are 3 exchangers in the LR area, two in the bath area, one in the bedroom and also one in the bay. So whenever the bedroom heat comes on the AH in the bay also provides heat.

I also have an electric bay heater, controller by a snap disk. It turns the heater on at temps below 40 or so, and off again when temps rise above 50. There is a master switch with indicator light on my control panel, I always leave it on. The bay heater doesn't come on very often, it has to be well below freezing before it activates.

Finally, I have a zoned weather station and I have put one sender in the bay. My bay temps really don't get very cold even on 30 degrees weather.

Hope this helps.

== John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #3

On my 07 Navigator the bay heat thermostat is just in the bay door where the AquaHot is. On my coach that is the passenger side bay just in front of the drive wheels. It is set high up on the partition wall and the bay heater heat exchanger is on the left side of the bay in front of my water tanks. Hope that helps.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:44 AM   #4

Good morning, RobRoy

On our '06 Dynasty, that thermostat is located in the basement bay that has the AquaHot and all the tanks, water, sewer and power incoming infrastructure, as that is the part of the coach that it is intended to keep protected from freezing. The thermostat is on the passenger side of the bay, mounted on the forward wall, almost at the top of the wall, a couple of inches behind the protective panel for that side of the bay. On ours, that protective panel is secured by several velcro pads and cosmetically covers the AquaHot and the passenger-side end of the fresh water and holding tanks.

Also, in that same area, mounted on the floor, is the small AquaHot heat exchanger with the integral fan. It is perhaps 8" square and 2 ˝" to 3" thick. That exchanger is a part of the Zone 2 heating loop also controlled by the rear thermostat for the coach. In order for it to function, you should check your owners manual for the coach. On ours, the "110V" or the "Diesel" switch must be turned on. I don't think that either of the thermostats even has to be on, as that thermostat you pictured operates independently and causes the pump to run and the heat exchanger fan to operate, thus keeping that basement bay at the temperature you select on the thermostat, as needed.

NOTE! When you store your rig, if you store it WITHOUT power connected to it, and if the temperatures are expected to drop below the set point of that thermostat, be sure to rotate the setting dial CCS to the "OFF" detent, or it will call for bay heat and could quickly become a problem for your battery and/or fuel supply.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That is the exact same Tank Bay thermostat that is used on my coach. There is a control plus a long copper tube going to a sensor at the end. Mine is located on the passenger side of the tank bay which was only accessible by removing a couple of screws for the brackets holding the door closed.

The Tank Bay heat ex-changer is obviously located in the tank bay also.

My thermostat is set for about 40F-45F I believe. I have never touched it or messed with it.

My coach also came with the Cold Weather Package which included tank heating pads under each tank plus a Service Bay heater in the Wet Service Bay. There is a System Heat switch in one of my overhead cabinets inside the coach. When activated the Tank Heating Pads turn on right away however the heater in the Wet Service Bay has a Snap Disc located on the wall in the Service Bay that controls what temperature to turn the heater on and off.

Photo of Snap Disc located on back wall with two wires included.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Service Bay Heater-04.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	117235  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

We have an 04 Signature. Our bay thermostat is located in the AquaHot bay, passenger side rear wall just inside the door.

We full-timer and have been in -13F temperatures with no issues.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
We have an 04 Signature. Our bay thermostat is located in the AquaHot bay, passenger side rear wall just inside the door.

Ours is like this also.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
We are heading from Michigan to Fla. Soon and coach has been winterized already by me.
My initial thought was leave it winterized until we hit a warmer climate. However the boss told me today that should will not be happy in that situation …but it is what it is and if that the way it has to be…so be it.

So with that being said and assuming I can get water from my tap late next week I have a few questions.
Where is this bay thermostat located?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1453602922

I don’t recall seeing it while diving into aqua hot hell maybe someone can point me in a direction?
Is there a duct that I can feel heat coming from just to be sure …. Feeling believes.
I have previously viewed my bay temps on my Aladdin before but only really paid any attention to what they were as of today.
Both temps measured while parked in the garage were.. outside 42f and bay read 42f if I recall correctly.
I just want to be damn sure this bay heat is in proper working order and not risk any frozen plumbing issues…..especially with and Aqua-Hot system.

I also see a what appears to be more than just digital thermostat just sitting on the edge of where the galley slide goes in to the coach …anyone care to guess what this is? it is not fasten down as a matter I never knew it was there until my granddaughter walk up with it in her hand while we were in an RV park Colorado and said “poppa whats this? “ I said where did you find that? and she showed me and she said it was just sitting on the inside ledge of the galley slide opening. So I set it back on there and it has been ther for the last 8k miles.
RobRoy,

We have an 04 Imperial. The thermostat you pictured in your post on my coach is in the holding tank bay on the passenger side. The exchanger it controls is in the narrow bay just forward of the holding tank bay and has the inverter, water pump, filters and manibloc in it. The exchanger is attached to the ceiling over the inverter. That exchanger is on the zone 2 loop and has liquid running thru it any time the zone 2 pump is running. The thermostat controls the fan on the exchanger. I havn't been able to figure out why the thermostat is in the holding tank bay and the exchanger is in the next bay over. As it is, the liquid lines for the zone 2 loop keep the bay pretty warm along with the heat from the inverter.

Someone mentioned that they had tank heaters on the holding tanks on their coach. On mine the tank heaters are on the fresh water tak and are part of the System Heat circuit and are activated when the System heat switch in the coach is turned on. The system heat switch on then arms the little 12vdc heater circuit in the holding tank bay. That heater is then controlled by the snap disc. When our coach was built that circuit was miswired and the heater ran all the time resulting in its failure after a couple of years. I simply unplugged it and havn't had a negative as a result I did rewire the curcuit to match the schematic I have for it.
I get the feeling that the way these systems were installed and wired follow the "who, when and where" system of assembly. How they were built depends on who did it, when it was done and where it was done.

Ron
Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post

Ours is like this also. 05 Sig
My experience just completed.
Discovered the said thermostat was faulty - so I had to take it out of the circuit so the bay heat would operate continuously.
The 3way valve (water fill)/town/ tank is exposed and susceptible to cold.
I had to add a couple of towels to the floor above the power/water outlets and also added a 60w bulb for good measure to protect that valve.
We were in Breckenridge for 2 weeks with lows to -4.
Waking up and not being able to have a shower (first morning) was not a repeatable option.
Inshore where the wet bay temp is recorded but saw temps as low as 28 but still had water.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
Ours is like this also. 05 Sig
My experience just completed.
Discovered the said thermostat was faulty - so I had to take it out of the circuit so the bay heat would operate continuously.

The 3way valve (water fill)/town/ tank is exposed and susceptible to cold.
I had to add a couple of towels to the floor above the power/water outlets and also added a 60w bulb for good measure to protect that valve.

I was wondering about the 3 way in extreme cold. thanks for the information.

We were in Breckenridge for 2 weeks with lows to -4.
Waking up and not being able to have a shower (first morning) was not a repeatable option.

and this was because of a freeze up issue before your fix
?

Inshore where the wet bay temp is recorded but saw temps as low as 28 but still had water.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks

Tags
heat