RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Leveling jacks

Hi All,
Is there any reason I would need or want jacks on my new Knight...they say the bags are sufficient, but looking for other opinions.

printernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What year Knight are you referring to? You would definitely need the jacks to level the coach as the air bags are for ride support and not designed for long term leveling in that model coach.

Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't read the specs, but I wouldn't think air leveling is even an option on a knight. It certainly wasn't in 2008.
Get the jacks. Surprised they are not standard.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just checked the specs for the 2012 Knight on the Monaco site. Automatic Hydraulic Leveilng system is listed as an OPTION. There is no mention of air leveling. Just air ride suspension.

It is a nice looking coach but I am shocked about the jacks being an option. Go figure
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Even worse besides this being a option, is the salesman pushing it off as not really needed. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaGuy View Post
I just checked the specs for the 2012 Knight on the Monaco site. Automatic Hydraulic Leveilng system is listed as an OPTION. There is no mention of air leveling. Just air ride suspension.

It is a nice looking coach but I am shocked about the jacks being an option. Go figure
I'm sure its stating "automatic" is an option. I'm sure the manual leveling jacks are standard which has been fairly common for quite a while.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The salesman got back to me about this...he said the leveling is done through the automatic leveling system, just like in the big busses. No jacks are on it for reasons like not shifting the chassis, eliminating broken windshields, floor tiles, etc.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well go back and ask the salesman if the automatic is air leveling. If so that is good. If not he is blowing smoke at you and you should run. You will need some sort of leveling system either jacks or air. Both have an automatic option. Somehow I think you should consider the salesman lips moving as very suspect. Ask for and read the written data on the coach which should list the equipment. See what it says about leveling.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It is air...I only said bags in my original post, should have said air bags, I guess. Still kind of new with the diesel coaches.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
OK, you will love air leveling. It should have two functions, one will allow automatic leveling, and the other should allow you to manually level using air. What it does is adjust the air in the air bags by letting air out or adding air to level the coach. It will first dump air before adjusting.

I have jacks on my coach, but added HWH air leveling about a year ago. I rarely use the jacks anymore and love the air leveling.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #11

Wow! the Knight has sure changed for 2012; I just looked at it online, in the "standards and Options" section under Chassis/Engine/suspension it states "Automatic Air Leveling System" as standard, with "Automatic Hydraulic Leveling System" as an option.

Going "up the line" to the 2011 Diplomat "Automatic Hydraulic Leveling System" is standard; for the 2011 Camelot, Hydraulic leveling is standard and Air leveling is an option; for the 2011 Dynasty there's Automatic air leveling with dual leveling the option.

The website shows the Knight as the only 2012 product yet to make the lineup, also has the new Navistar MaxxForce engine instead of a Cummins. Looks as if this is the new direction for the company.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

The 2012 line up was changed from before. They eliminated a model and moved the Knight up a notch, I think, above the Diplomat. I heard this at the Hershey show, but can't remember all of the conversation. They are claiming a 11-12 mpg for the Knight, which was part of the reason I ordered one...I guess we'll see. It's supposed to be ready in December.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 AM   #13

I'm sure you'll be getting a great coach, and the 2012 Knight will be way ahead of the Diplomat of a few years ago. However don't count on the 11-12 mpg or the Knight "above" the Diplomat ... just salesman talk. As of 2011 the Dip's are all 42-43 footers on the RR10 chassis as opposed to the RR8. Monaco is not likely to regress the Diplomat in 2012 IMHO; if they did it's be the first time they've downscaled. Again, more salesman talk.

Tags
jacks, leveling