Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Lift pumps, Fass pumps etc.

I read all the horror stories about these pumps.
I have a 93 Monaco Signature series with the 8.3 Cummins.

Can anyone point me to something that explains my fuel system. How many pumps do I have? Is there at pump at the tank or are all pumps in the engine room? Do I have a lift pump? What should I be checking?

Dumb questions only if I do not ask. I am slowly learning about this rig.
garage man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 10:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There have been numerous discussions here on this. This is just one of many, but its a good start:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/my-...em-542831.html

Do a search on FASS in the search box above and you’ll find plenty more.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:35 PM   #3

You should have mechanical P7100 injector pump , not CAPS that is so sensitive to low suction pressure, air infiltration , loss of lubrication ect. Not saying it would not help but . I'd say you can relax . The lift pump is on P71000 . The injector pump is supposed to be super tough not and super expensive. Easy uprating the power tons of posts on how to.
The fuel shut off solenoid boot degrades and can rust, hang up causing low power, slow start or delayed shut off . An aftermarket is like 30-$40 some are a kit with mounting plate , bell crank ,bolts ,pin.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
You should have mechanical P7100 injector pump , not CAPS that is so sensitive to low suction pressure, air infiltration , loss of lubrication ect. Not saying it would not help but . I'd say you can relax . The lift pump is on P71000 . The injector pump is supposed to be super tough not and super expensive. Easy uprating the power tons of posts on how to.
The fuel shut off solenoid boot degrades and can rust, hang up causing low power, slow start or delayed shut off . An aftermarket is like 30-$40 some are a kit with mounting plate , bell crank ,bolts ,pin.
Yep. Us C8.3 owners are blessed with a rock solid mechanical "P-pump".

------------
1997 Monaco Dynasty 36'
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the good news

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip2084 View Post
Yep. Us C8.3 owners are blessed with a rock solid mechanical "P-pump".

------------
1997 Monaco Dynasty 36'

RoadTrip2084 and 153 stars.
Thanks to both of you for confirming what I thought I understood. I purchased in June and will retire at the end of the year and go fulltime for a year or two while I decide what to do.
I really need to find someone with a similar coach or the knowledge that I can hire for a few hours to just answer questions, such as the one I posed. I need someone to cover inside and out say here is the fuel filer and here is the air dryer and on and on.

I have purchased a fuel plate upgrade from TST products as I will have a toad full time and a bike on a Hydralift. My going fulltime will involve a marriage issue so the coach is in storage and what work I do is done there as I cannot bring it home for several reasons. I have gotten so much info from these forums and from helpful guys like to two of you. I will read the link suggested and keep on learning.
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:26 AM   #6

I'm sure you have read to install boost gauge and exhaust temp gauge as well as star wheel adjustments. You can set drilling manifold and finish drilling with it running to blow out filings . Use goggles and don't do this alone just in case. Use a shop vac to smaller hose as well so it's as clean as possible when punching through. Online you'll find where to drill.
If your new to wet sleeve motor check and maintain antifreeze for SCA/DCA levels to prevent piston liner pitting.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you haven't done so already, get your ESN (engine serial number) and go to https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html . Register your vehicle. It's a great source for info on replacement parts. You can also call Cummins Customer Service ( 1-800-343-7357 ) and give them your ESN

This will tell you where your ESN is: https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/fi...-serial-number
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'm sure you have read to install boost gauge and exhaust temp gauge as well as star wheel adjustments. You can set drilling manifold and finish drilling with it running to blow out filings . Use goggles and don't do this alone just in case. Use a shop vac to smaller hose as well so it's as clean as possible when punching through. Online you'll find where to drill.
If your new to wet sleeve motor check and maintain antifreeze for SCA/DCA levels to prevent piston liner pitting.
All good advice. I read a lot on the net and am not afraid to ask questions. I have sent pictures of my setup to TST to be sure I understand the instructions. He had some helpful hints and said I understood correctly.

Although not yet ready to attempt the install I already had a boost gauge and I have installed the temp gauge with the probe where recommended. Perhaps the hardest part was running the temp led all the way to the front but it works great.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
If you haven't done so already, get your ESN (engine serial number) and go to https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html . Register your vehicle. It's a great source for info on replacement parts. You can also call Cummins Customer Service ( 1-800-343-7357 ) and give them your ESN

This will tell you where your ESN is: https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/fi...-serial-number
I keep meaning to do this but I haven't found the serial number yet. I believe I know where it is but might have to take a picture to read it as I don't think I can get in position to read it directly.

The coach is in storage and when I am there I keep forgetting.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:47 PM   #10

Cummins , data plate top of the timing gear case , probably hard to get close to if you have a rear radiator .
Red circle in photo .
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2021, 09:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Just an update. I was pretty sure where my data plate with the ESN was but not able to see it. Air filter end is above it and several other pieces all in the way. Today I made a concerted effort. I was able to balance a flashlight that shed some light on the issue. i then finally was able snake the end of my phone into a spot that was able to get a picture of the most important part. I have my ESN and Model.
I did go to the Cummins site and registered and got the email from Cummins saying my info was being processed and that I would receive and email inviting me to set up my username and password.

Time will tell.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage man View Post
Just an update. I was pretty sure where my data plate with the ESN was but not able to see it. Air filter end is above it and several other pieces all in the way. Today I made a concerted effort. I was able to balance a flashlight that shed some light on the issue. i then finally was able snake the end of my phone into a spot that was able to get a picture of the most important part. I have my ESN and Model.
I did go to the Cummins site and registered and got the email from Cummins saying my info was being processed and that I would receive and email inviting me to set up my username and password.

Time will tell.

Great.
Couple things to keep in mind with QuickServe:

-Although they require the ESN, the info is still generic and may cover multiple products. So you need to make sure you are reading the correct item.

-The coach builder may have made changes from what is showing on the engine diagrams as built by Cummins. For example on mine and many others, The fuel filter has been moved from the side of the engine to the back of the coach as it would be pretty much impossible to access the original location without removing the starter etc.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I understand the changes possible. I would pay somebody knowledgeable to spend an hour or two and show me all they know.
Which filter is which, where are my air tanks.
Do I need to manually drain my tanks.
Where is my power steering resevoir.
I have much to learn.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage man View Post
I understand the changes possible. I would pay somebody knowledgeable to spend an hour or two and show me all they know.
Which filter is which, where are my air tanks.
Do I need to manually drain my tanks.
Where is my power steering resevoir.
I have much to learn.

I completely understand your position and i think the more i do on it i learn things. Its all a learning curve , just take your time.
RayAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump