Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

lighting problem

We have recently purchased a HR imperial and so far LOVE it. But we have came across a problem that has me a little confused. The 12 volt lights on the rear vanity just quit. Have checked power with a test light and here comes the wired part... There is power everyplace but the light will not come on. The power comes and goes with the switch but the lights do not light up.

Could this be some sort of a ground problem? They worked for the last 2 month the last weekend went to turn them on after about a 300 mile trip and nothing!!!

Thanks for any help.

Mark
Mwudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #2

Did the bulbs burnout?
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

there are 8 bulbs all look good. can't imagine that they would all go at once.

Thanks

Mark
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

Use your vom meter to check for ground on ohms. Verify your ground is good. Or simply run a temporary wire from a known good ground to verify.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #5

If there are 8 lights and none of them work remove the fixture, check the incoming wires either with a volt meter or a simple automotive test light to verify you have both hot and ground present, if you do, look closely at the splice connections in the fixture make sure they are good. if you do not have hot and ground at supply wires start looking for a loose ground. or bad switch
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Have not checked with a volt meter but have with a test light. Will check with a volt meter in the morning but pre ,post, and at the bulb housing its self all light the test light.

Thanks for all the help

Mark
Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwudel View Post
Have not checked with a volt meter but have with a test light. Will check with a volt meter in the morning but pre ,post, and at the bulb housing its self all light the test light.

Thanks for all the help

Mark
Did the test light light? If so no need but it is good to have a vom handy. Occasionally a test light will lite but the bigger contact area of a bulb may not produce sufficient connection to give light. When #2 pencils were common we would Pink Pearl the connection, now I would recommend emery cloth to clean the connection.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #8

Yes it lights everyplace but no bulbs light
Old 06-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #9

Well the problem is there is no ground. Took it all apart and the ground is intact at the light but then heads up into the roof. The only place I checked was at the ground bar and everything is tight there. If I provide the ground they all light right up. Any idea where else to check for the loose ground besides removing the ceiling.

Thanks
Mark
Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
YC1

Mark, any chance you have bumped a switch?? Some things on my rv do switch ground and they put switches in the strangest places. I have a three way switch that drove me crazy.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mark....If you can't resolve finding where the ground came loose, just wire another ground to another light or the ceiling fan.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #12

I have looked everyplace for another switch with no luck. I think I will end up with another ground wired in but it is going to be very difficult to get to a place to get ground,

Thanks Again

Mark
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I had a very similar problem. The 2 light sockets were bad. They had bad bulb contact. I put a new fixture on, problem solved.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #14

well got it fixed up. believe it or not pulled a couple fixtures in the ceiling and found a burnt looking wire nut cut it and replaced and all is good. But why would a ground get that hot to burn the wire nut.

Mark