Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 04:33 AM   #1

Lightning strike

2010 Monaco Diplomat 42 SKQ Thursday 12/20 while on my computer a bolt of lightning struck. The white light was blinding as well a the very loud noise. Initially I thought it hit the M/H but the hit was about 40 ft. away, hitting a light pole. Everything went off. Going outside expecting to see flames as did several other rv er's but saw none. A main CB in the rv park blew and after several hours was reset. My pedestal however did not come back on. The 50 amp CB was blown. After replacing the CB I only had the DC circuit, no 120 volt. The smell of burnt wires was noticeable around the Magnum energy panel. I reset the inverter, and the 30 amp CB on the inverter. As of now the chassis battery's are dead. No microwave, no power to Resid. fridge. All three ac/heat pumps work as well as both furnaces (on gas). I don't believe the big boy relay is working, although I get voltage to both connection on top. I ran extension cord from GFI on pedestal to fridge, coffee maker and computer, so we have survived to this point thru the holiday. Hoping a tech from Elite RV here in Bradenton Fl. knows his stuff and comes today. However, any knowledgeable help would be appreciated. Yes. my progressive surge protector was on and survived the hit but I guess it does not help much with a lightening hit so close.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42 SKQ Thursday 12/20 while on my computer a bolt of lightning struck. The white light was blinding as well a the very loud noise. Initially I thought it hit the M/H but the hit was about 40 ft. away, hitting a light pole. Everything went off. Going outside expecting to see flames as did several other rv er's but saw none. A main CB in the rv park blew and after several hours came back on. My pedestal however did not. The 50 amp CB was blown. After replacing the CB I only had the DC circuit, no 120 volt. The smell of burnt wires was noticeable around the Magnum energy panel. I reset the inverter, and the 30 amp CB on the inverter. As of now the chassis battery's are dead. No microwave, no power to Resid. fridge. All three ac/heat pumps work as well as both furnaces (on gas). I don't believe the big boy relay is working, although I get voltage to both connection on top. I ran extension cord from GFI on pedestal to fridge, coffee maker and computer, so we have survived to this point thru the holiday. Hoping a tech from Elite RV here in Bradenton Fl. knows his stuff and comes today. However, any knowledgeable help would be appreciated. Yes. my progressive surge protector was on and survived the hit but I guess it does not help much with a lightening hit so close.
Did you check all the GFI circuit breakers? They are usually part of a wall duplex outlet in the bathroom, etc. Your post sounds like you have some AC power like the air conditioners but not all AC power like to some of the outlets. Sometimes GFI circuit breakers are part of the circuit breakers in the main distribution panel. Be sure to check all those breakers. Lighting is powerful stuff and will do things that seem impossible.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #3

I can't help you. but please post what they find out.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have partial power or your coach, so maybe there is a gfi outlet in the coach that popped? There is usually one on each side of the coach, that is the case in our HR and if a power surge causes one to pop then just like in your coach some things quit working and some don't. The smell of burnt wires around your Magnum EMS is not a good thing, but if it were fried I don't think your ACs would continue to operate, unless you checked them using your generator?
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #5

Have you contacted your insurance company yet? Also have you checked to see if the engine will start and run?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #6

Friend had similar in milwaukee $14,000 later he has new electrical everything it fried stuff you will not ever believe 120 12 volt, circuit boards, elect heat in a/c s. I would have it all checked carefully they do not like oh I found another thing that got fried on ins claims
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Had a lightening strike hit the pole feeding the house. Lost a TV in the house and thought that was all. Later, while getting ready to leave on a trip I noticed nothing showed on the Intellitec amp meter. Turns out the circuit board on my EMS system fried, had to replace. Luckily that was all that was damaged.

As suggested I'd check all the circuits.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours has a GFI outlet in the engine compartment for the engine heat, that controls a few other outlets, might check there also, not a common place for one so some won't look there. Good luck Happy Trails Bert
Old 12-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #9

Check your wiring diagram to see where your GFCI breakers are and go reset all of them. Remember to reset these breakers, you must turn the breaker to off then reset them.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It sounds like the outlets that run through the inverter are out, but the ones that bypass it are okay. My air conditioners do not run on the inverter. The fridge, microwave and almost all the rest of the outlets run through the inverter. My washing machine outlet also bypasses the inverter, is that outlet live?
Old 12-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here's the diagram I made for my coach from a couple pages of the schematic. You can see the washer, water heater, block heater and AC units run from the main panel and the rest of the coach goes through the inverter to the inverter panel. If you inverter is fried, you won't get any AC to the inverter panel.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:00 AM   #12

Lightning strike

For those interested, the problem was the circuit board on the output side of the inverter. Once I checked out all the other possibility's (the easy things) I concentrated on the only other choice. The inverter. All components like the residential fridge, tv, etc. were not affected. After removing the inverter I was able to bypass the inverter for full 120 volt power. Now must find a cb or buy a new inverter. Could have been worse.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #13

It could have been way worse, there is a guy on another rv message board that owns the same model coach as I have, he had just pulled into an rv park to stop for the night in Wyoming last summer, when a bolt of lightning hit the TV antenna above the drivers seat, blew it apart sending a shard through the roof and into his his leg, as well as frying just about everything in the coach. He spent about a week replacing stuff (sensors, etc.) just to get the engine to start. He posted a photo online shortly afterward showing the moment of the lightning strike captured by the RV parks pole mounted security camera.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It could have been way worse, there is a guy on another rv message board that owns the same model coach as I have, he had just pulled into an rv park to stop for the night in Wyoming last summer, when a bolt of lightning hit the TV antenna above the drivers seat, blew it apart sending a shard through the roof and into his his leg, as well as frying just about everything in the coach. He spent about a week replacing stuff (sensors, etc.) just to get the engine to start. He posted a photo online shortly afterward showing the moment of the lightning strike captured by the RV parks pole mounted security camera.
And without (and possibly WITH) the photo of the lightening strike, his insurance company would still be arguing that the damage was a result of something the owner of the coach did!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote