Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Unhappy Lippert..AGAIN!!!

In August 2009, my Lippert pump leaked oil into the electric motor and smoked itself to death. After much correspondence by phone and email, Lippert finally stepped up and sent me a new pump assembly and paid 3 hours of labor for removal and installation.
I am in the process of getting the coach ready for this season in which I hope to use it much more than before and lo and behold, there was a puddle of oil directly under the second Lippert electric motor. So I cleaned the floor and waited and now a week later there is another significant puddle there again. My next step will be to thoroughly clean the pump assembly and the immediate area around it to ascertain the actual source as it is not immediately apparent (it looks like it may be coming out of one of the terminal lugs on the motor).
I had my hopes that this issue was fixed for good, but now I don't know. If it is the pump again, I guess I will be in touch with Lippert to see if they will still back up their mistakes.
I know there are many of you that have had to replace or repair these pumps (too many!). I am wondering how many had their second pump assembly go bad? And if so, did Lippert stand behind the replacement?
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That is frustrating, but I'm sure Lippert will correct the situation. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My second pump failed at exactly one year. They were willing to discount the pump motor, but it was still very high. I replaced the seal per this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/lipp...ent-60352.html

Works fine since December.

I don't know if it helps, but I have started hitting the other direction button momentarily to reduce pressure. In other words, push in and hold until slide seats against the side of the coach, then hit the out quickly. Not enough to move the slide, but to reduce the pressure in the lines.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've had 2 fail. The first about 18 months after purchase. The second about another 18 months. Lippert replace the first as "good will" since it was out of warranty. The second time they refused to do anything. I asked if this will occur every 18 months and the tech said it could. Boooooooo!

I had replace the seal in the first one and had it as a spare. Unfortunately, it didn't work because I had installed the housing of the motor backwards and the motor ran backwords. I fixed that and then it worked ok. I have replace the seal in the second one and have it as a spare.

I have resigned myself that this will be an ongoing repair task.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Question. Does reducing the pressure in the lines as suggested affect the braking of the slideout?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #6

Ron, was your replacement one of the newly design units (the ones with a shorter tank and mounting bracket that attaches to both the pump and the tank? I remain curious if any of the newly designed units are leaking as I believe they have new motors. My first unit failed at a little over 2 years, the second unit almost immediately and the nearly redesigned unit has been in for over a year.

Thanks,

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #7

I have a 2011 Monaco diplomat that I bought in sept 2011 I picked it up and there was a oil leak around my pump. Dealer said it was from them overfilling unit
So I took unit home and parked it till end of jan we loaded up (Canada) and went to Vegas got to our site run out slides and that was it burnt out motor and had to have it replaced. So my question is are all the new units going to have trouble also
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinaz123 View Post
Question. Does reducing the pressure in the lines as suggested affect the braking of the slideout?
I have noticed no movement in my slides in my pre-drive checklist, or after arriving at the campsite. On my dad's Tiffin, the hydraulic motor reverses for a moment when the button is released. That is where I got the idea. Time will tell if it helps. Have 3 spare seals. If it goes as per the past, I will be doing the seal replacement in December.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Ron, was your replacement one of the newly design units (the ones with a shorter tank and mounting bracket that attaches to both the pump and the tank? I remain curious if any of the newly designed units are leaking as I believe they have new motors. My first unit failed at a little over 2 years, the second unit almost immediately and the nearly redesigned unit has been in for over a year.

Thanks,

Gil
Gil,
I was an early pump failure and I received a unit that looked the same as the first one. What ticks me off is that I hardly use the MH, maybe 2 weeks a year waiting for retirement. The rest of the year it sits in heated storage. This is a great example of nickel engineering and dime components.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote