Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 04:49 PM   #1

Lippert entry steps question

Been reading quite a bit on entry steps, mostly Kwikee, but have not read anything regarding this topic.

SCS Lippert 2 step entry steps makes a loud grounching sound both extending and retracting. 2006 Endeavour. I had read somewhere that they need cleaning, so, decided to give it a shot.

After cleaning the visible outside stuff, I crawled underneath and decided to unbolt the 3 bolts holding the motor to the step gear housing. After breaking off 2 of the bolts below the frame rail and removing the motor, I drilled out the 2 broken off bolts, re threaded them for a slightly larger bolt, then attemped to re assemble. Whoops! Didn't realize that the motor housing bolt holes were not big enough and that's where she broke apart.

Ordered a new one to arrive tomorrow from Amazon for $149.00 CDN (surprised the hell out of me 'cause I was sure they didn't exist anymore) and after playing around with the old motor housing found a way to enlarge, ever so slightly, the holes on the motor housing to accomodate the new bolts.

Question though...will this stop the grounching noise that I hear whenever the steps go in or out? If not, is there anything else I should look for? Lippert says that it is not necessary to lubricate anything (although I did use dry Teflon lube) and I cannot see anything out of alignment or bent.

Is there anywhere else I can/should clean? Any pictures of where this should happen would be welcome. Steps always seem to work...just sounds like someone is rocking a very noisy wheelchair or opening a very rusty screen door whenever it extends or retracts. Would like to do this now that the motor is out of the way.

Thanks!
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #2

Are all the teeth on the gear intact? If you ever need that motor in the future it can be had at most auto parts stores. Ford window motor. BTW: How are the fires in your area?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Are all the teeth on the gear intact? If you ever need that motor in the future it can be had at most auto parts stores. Ford window motor. BTW: How are the fires in your area?
Teeth all look good. Just sounds noisy both extending and retracting...no fires close by us now, some in August were just 70 miles due east near a town called Hope. We live in a suburb of Vancouver so good fire departments all around us. Compared to last year, this year was almost non existant with regards to fires.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:23 PM   #4

I thought you lived in that town that burned last year. Litton?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I thought you lived in that town that burned last year. Litton?
Check my profile. Hasn't changed in 25 years! What made you think I lived in Lytton? Can't stand all that heat and dryness.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:52 PM   #6

Lippert steps

Had to rebuild my steps last year. Could not get them to operate. The segmented gear was pretty much frozen to the pin (bolt). There was no way to lubricate between these parts short of disassembly. I drilled and tapped for a grease zerk. The other shaft pivots had bronze oil impregnated bushings. Some were a little stiff but all worked ok. I suggest looking at the gear segment and pin to see if there is corrosion at that interface.

Btw, Newmar has a step drawing on their website. Probably available at other locations also.
rvvolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds as if the grease has dried out in the gear box. Might check the large gear for grease around the center pivot pin. There is a lot of stress on that gear as the steps move in and out. FWIW. Good luck.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:36 PM   #8

Update on steps problem.

Thanks for all of the replies. After I had ordered and installed a new motor and drilled out larger holes for the new bolts into the motor casing, everything worked like a charm. No more loud grinding/growling noise and she works good!

When I opened up the old motor, I did notice a lack of lubrication and I suspect that the screw gear was grinding on itself inside the housing.

As well, there are not a lot of places to apply lubrication, especially when the moving areas are all exposed to dust, dirt, sand and whoknowswhat as you travel down the highway. Last thing I want to do is to add some grease that will only attract more grime inside the large gear area which moves the step inside and out. I think, though, that I will add this area to my list of places to inspect and clean well each year.

Thanks again for all of the replies!

Tags
lippert, steps