Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The pump on my '09 Camelot started to leak, but fortunately I found this thread before any damage was done. Since I am on the road, and no access to a workplace, I had a RV repair place do the work. I checked with my extended warranty, and it was better for me to buy a new pump assembly than pay to have the old repaired. So I ordered a new pump.

So I now have the old pump, and have installed a new SKF oil seal. It works fine, but it is now redundant. I'll sell it for $500 plus shipping for anyone that needs it. This is the complete pump assembly including wiring harness. Just email me at john at laninga dot com if you're interested.

Normally I would not post anything for sale here, but if you burned out a motor, this is a much cheaper way to get a fix. Hope I don't violate any forum rules with this.

John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #16

Question Broken rod

How do I get one of those "shaft" replaced? My electric motor went out on my pump, then I BROKE the shaft the motor fit into, where in all the world would I get another one? Thank youn (pictures @bottom of post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
I, like may others, have a leaking Lippert slide pump which operates the two front slides. Lippert informed me their warranty was one year.

Being on my own, I tore into it. After dissecting the assembly, I found a shaft seal on the pump leaking, saturating the motor. When I contacted Lippert , they said they don’t stock any parts for them as it is imported as an assembly. They did say they had a seal kit for one other model but not mine.

The bad seal was extremely hard, like it was many years old. Whereas, the new one was pliable.

Having the seal in hand, I called a local supply house and asked for a 10 22 8 seal. An hour later I had the seal in hand - actually 2 as they were $2.36 each.
10mm = ID
22mm = OD
8mm = thickness

Lippert made many variations of the Hydraulic pump, so the seals might vary pump to pump. As the numbers are on the seal, it is not hard to find one.

With the seal, 3 cans brake cleaner, 4 quarts of ATF and 4 hours of labor, I was back whole again.

It’s been 6000 miles and 2 months and nary a leak.

And, the rest of the story……

Locate you Lippert slide pump and take many pictures of the hydraulic lines and wires. The spray it with brake clean, as there will be black paint overspray and rust colored protectant paint on the electrical wires and terminals. Get enough paint off so you can see the wire color and then take more pictures.

Also, with the hydraulic lines clean, number each line and corresponding fitting. Take pictures of the lines.

Move slide(s) out an inch or two so the will be no pressure on any of the hydraulic rams.
Turn off batteries and disconnect wires. Look at above picture and disconnect hydraulic lines where they attach to brass colored fitting. Also, look at the picture of the unit on the bench and you can see the brass colored fitting that stays attached to the pump body. There will be some fluid loss, but no more than a cup. Unbolt unit from frame. Mine had two bolts coming up from the bottom.

Once on the bench, empty the fluid reservoir and give it a good spraying with brake clean. The brass colored fittings where the lines attach have rubber o rings just sitting in a recess. Make sure they are there. If you lose any, take one to the parts store to match up.

My coach has 2 hydraulic slides, each with 2 rams each. And each ram has an out hose and an in hose. So, my pump has 8 hoses. Yours may be different.

At the end of the white reservoir, you will find a black plastic flange bonded to the reservoir. This flange is bolted to the manifold body. Depending on the model, the bolts will enter through the manifold body into the threaded flange ear, like Monaco Mama’s Diplomat. These use regular bolts and are easy to remove.

Or, they enter through the flange ears into threaded holes in the manifold body like in my Camelot. These are small machine screws with allen heads and take time to remove/replace, a half turn at a time.

Once the 4 reservoir screws are out, take off the white reservoir and the oil pump will be exposed.

Unbolt the pump from the manifold block using the 2 bolts not the 2 nuts. The bolts are a lighter color than the nut, in my case.

Seal area cleaned

Once removed, use the 2 remaining bolts/nut to disassemble the pump. There are 2 gears and 2 shafts that will fall out if not careful. Keep oil pick up screen side down to eliminate that. Using a screwdriver, carefully pry out the seal without marring the aluminum sealing surface (OD of seal.)

My seal was numbered 10 22 8, which meant OD,ID & thickness. I used a 10 22 7 for a replacement and there wasn’t the 1 mm difference, only maybe ½ mm.

Using a socket, or seal driver, install the new seal, numbers up.

Now unbolt the motor from the manifold block, disassemble, clean with brake cleaner and reassemble. (If not comfortable with cleaning the motor, an electrical motor shop could do this part for you.) Mine was quite a mess with the oil, but windings, armature and brushes were fine.

Just a good cleaning and lubing of the end bushings took care of this part. Note: there is a short intermediate shaft that connects the motor output shat to the oil pump shaft. Use care ensuring it is centered on the slots at both ends.

All that is left is to reassemble it, keeping it clean along the way. And remember those O rings when connecting the hydraulic lines. Fill with ATF (or check your owners manual for fluid type) to within 1 inch of the top of the reservoir.

I had to run mine 6 – 8 times for 20 seconds, each time, to get the slides to start moving. I was concerned after about the fourth time and no movement, but I kept at it and once the pump got primed all was normal. Run it once for 20 seconds, wait 2 minutes to cool, the run it for another 20 seconds. Now wait 15 minutes for cool down and repeat above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4361.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	16910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4359.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	16911  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4360.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	16912  
DARRENCOLERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Have you called Lippert and asked them to send you a new coupler?
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Have you called Lippert and asked them to send you a new coupler?

They say I have to order the WHOLE MOTOR....I think I can find one instead. Salvage or something...Thanks for the suggestion.

D
Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
One other bit of advice if you fix it yourself, the two bolts that hold the pump itself to the manifold are 1/2" hex but there is little room for open end or even box wrenches. Same for the two dark nuts that hold the motor assembly in place. Even my 1/2" six point socket didn't fit all the way over the bolt. But, I had a deep (thin wall) 13mm socket and that fit fine.

BTW, removing or tightening those 4 little cap screws that hold the tank to the manifold are a pain to work with. Patience..

== John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Do you still have the pump? Can you show a picture? I have a 2009 Damon, Daybreak with a Lippert system. I am about to replace the second pump with the same problem. It is extremely exasperating when Lippert only gives a 90 day warranty on a part that costs $1800. they must know about the seal problem! I wonder why they don't do something about it. I would never buy another Lippert product if I could help it!
sfdladder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #21

I do have it - please email me your address and I will esnd you some pics - (darrenbutcher(at)rocketmail(dot)com

Thank you!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #22

Nor'easters Club
For those of you attempting this repair, I am 80% through it and have just cleaned out and reassembled the electric motor and would like to add that if you are not used to working with large permanent magnets in electric motors, (I wasn't ), be very careful to hold on to the armature end very tightly when you reinsert it into the case that holds the magnets. The magnets are very strong and they pulled the armature into the case with enough force to really damage a finger if one was in the way. Dropped the whole assembly on the floor and bent a terminal screw in the process, but motor seems fine even though it looks a little toasted by the brushes.

Harry, you really nailed this. The instructions were great! Thanks for everything.....
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great Post. I'm in the middle of figuring out my dilema. Besides the seal I think my motor is toast. Please read this post.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/lippe...ng-125725.html
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #24

I've had the seal leaking problem also . After cleaning motor out with brake clean and sand paper on brushes and armature, I put spacer washers (1/16") between motor and pump housing , so if seal leaks again the oil will not be forced into the motor. Also have spare seal in tool box now.
The shaft had a imperfection in it and had to smoothed off. So far all has worked well for probably 2 dozen uses since.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gknott View Post
I've had the seal leaking problem also . After cleaning motor out with brake clean and sand paper on brushes and armature, I put spacer washers (1/16") between motor and pump housing , so if seal leaks again the oil will not be forced into the motor. Also have spare seal in tool box now.
The shaft had a imperfection in it and had to smoothed off. So far all has worked well for probably 2 dozen uses since.
The washers you used, were they steel or nylon?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happy Days!
I called Lippert this morning and yes indeed I do qualify for the recall. The New Motor and coupler is on it's way.

deSanford, THANK YOU so much for the heads up on this.

I Love Love Love this site!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
In case anyone was wondering why IMDSailor thanked me I posted this:

IMDSailor did you get a recall from Navastar Monaco about the Lippert "shaft" seal? I did and had their latest and greatest new "shaft" installed on their dime. deSanford

You are WELCOME IMDSailor. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #28

IMD Sailer- I used steel washers but would think nylon ones would work as long as they are hard enough not to crush out over time.To those who think the motor may be toast, with good cleaning(I used brake cleaner) and sand paper for cleaning armature and brushs and cleaning out segments in the armature with a pick of your choice , it will probably work just fine, Mine did. To clean armature I drilled a hole in piece of wood, laid paper over it and pushed motor shaft through it and then rotated it to do cleaning,did this several times, also run brushes( after losening them up) over this flat surface.This kept both surfaces flat.