Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #1

Lippert steps click and don't extend

Hello! I have a 2009 HR Ambassador with Lippert steps. The steps are currently contracted under the coach and when I try to extend them there is a fairly loud single click noise (like the sound of a hammer hitting steel) that I hear above the motor. The steps will not extend.

The amber light beside the steps turns on as it should and when I disconnect power from the coach to the motor (white plastic connectors) and try to extend the steps no noise is heard, so my guess is that power is making its way to the motor?

I'm hoping this doesn't mean I have a bad motor as we are planning to hit the road tomorrow but maybe I'm missing something simple?

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated!
Rainman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked for anything broken?
The arm can snap very easy if the steps are not
lubricated regularly.

Pull it off and check all parts.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #3

Thanks - I've looked all around the motor, the gear plate assembly, drive shaft, arms, etc., and can't see anything broke or cracked.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #4

Time to call a mobile tech
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This may sound TOO SIMPLE but I had the same problem and someone here on irv2 told me to tap the step motor with the wooden handle of a hammer. I figured what the heck.. and BINGO... the steps have worked perfect ever since! Hope this helps! Good Luck!
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

Lippert has a method for determining if the problem is the motor or the controller. But first you should check all the linkages to make sure it is not binding. The motor is a Ford window motor. Go to Lippert's web site for instructions.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Whatever you do, DON'T put your head (or other body parts) under the step while diagnosing it. Murphy will most definitely take that opportunity to suddenly cause the step to start working again .... and you will lose.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input! I removed the motor and discovered the gear plate assembly is frozen and won't move which explains why the steps won't extend. I tried to remove the bolt which attaches the gear plate to the above step face plate cover and it wouldn't budge. I then called Lippert and they told me they flash weld that bolt into place so that explains that.

Long story short we used a step stool as a work around and I'm going to drop it off at a shop next week to get the gear plate assembly replaced.

Tags
steps