Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Little help with an electrical issue please

My PNI compass, power driver/passenger shades and stair cover have been intermittent when I turn on the DC power at the door switch panel (also has basement driver side lights and basement passenger side lights on same switch plate. Usually when I flick the DC power on and off it will eventually turn on the compass at which time I know the shades and stair slide cover will work. Today it is no longer intermittent they don't work at all. But today I noticed the basement lights do not come on and the cigarette lighter is also dead.

Any ideas? We are suppose to leave Thursday for a 6 week trip

I thought I used to hear a little short whir from the front dash when I flipped on the DC house power switch but now I don't hear the whir either.
I much prefer intermittent to dead.

Does this sound like a ground issue? I checked all the DC fuses in the run bay and the bedroom, Is there a relay that controls all these items.

I would pay someone for a 2001 Monaco Dynasty house wiring diagram or even a close model/year to it.

Thanks for the responses....DW wants her step cover

Jeff
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like a ground to me. I suggest running a new jumper wire directly to the battery to test.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Go check the house battery cutoff switch in the rear run electrical bay. Some of those switchs have come apart on the inside as they are made of plastic. If it is bad take the wires out and bolt them together.

Hope this helps.
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff, that switch by the entrance door is often referred to as the salesman switch and was used to cut all DC power to the coach after showing it to a customer. It controls a solenoid in the front run bay that often fails. When it fails, you don't get DC power. Best to bypass the solenoid with a short battery cable and eliminate using the switch. After that to cut DC power, turn off the main battery disconnect switch.

Yours may look a bit different than the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cutoff-solonoid1.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	28150   Click image for larger version

Name:	cutoff-solonoid2.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	28151  

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have some dc power just not front window driver/passenger shades, radio, compass, step cover as well as the two switches next to this one passenger and divers side basement lights. Still sound like a solenoid even if some dc works?

I'm thinking maybe ground bar? Will hopefully figure it out tomorrow. Suppose to leave the next day. Thanks for the ideas so far. All good info

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex
Jeff, that switch by the entrance door is often referred to as the salesman switch and was used to cut all DC power to the coach after showing it to a customer. It controls a solenoid in the front run bay that often fails. When it fails, you don't get DC power. Best to bypass the solenoid with a short battery cable and eliminate using the switch. After that to cut DC power, turn off the main battery disconnect switch.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
YC1

I'm currently at my limit of attachments. If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send schematics for my 08 Endeavor. Should be similiar in design.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Update on the shorted Salesman Switch (House Battery Cut Off Switch by door).
First this forum saved me hours. I found a link to a Monaco site that has a 88 mb Wiring Diagram for a 2003 Dynasty. I plan on printing it out it anyone can suggest a binder and paper size. Maybe I'll take it to a print shop. Anyway...I looked over the items that were not working and it looked like it would be a ground or a solenoid issue. ('m not 100% sure I had partial DC but I think I did).
I followed the diagram and decided to check on the solinoid at the end of the purple wire, which for my 2001 Dynasty with tag was in the engine compartment in the high voltage side (right). Noticed a loose wire on the bottom of the box where the positive side DC enters from the bottom. I cleaned the box and tightened the lug. No problem since.
I am ordering a couple of the solenoids as soon as I find them on line as it is still possible the solenoid is intermittent.

Anyone know a good place to get a couple V-R/RBM 70-902 Coil 12 VDC cont 70-111224-5A?

thanks to all.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post

Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff......I took my wiring diagram to Kinko's and they printed it on a 3' x 3' sheet which I keep stored in a tube in the closet.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Anyone know a good place to get a couple V-R/RBM 70-902 Coil 12 VDC cont 70-111224-5A?
White Rodgers DC Power Solenoid 70 111224 New | eBay
or
relays continuous duty 12 volt & 24 volt DC power relays,starter relays
Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The reason you have some DC and not others is because there are 2 DC systems in the coach. One is house the other chassis. I've had similar issues that were caused by both the house DC cutoff switch breaking apart due to vibration and the "salesman" switch solenoid failing. I replaced the cutoff switch and wired around the solenoid and havn't had a problem since.
Ron
Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
YC1

Jeff, would you mind sharing that link to the diagram. Could be very useful in the future.

Thanks

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
You are absolutely correct on the two solenoids. Both are in the right rear of the engine on my Dynasty. One controls the DC cut off for the front electrical bay (under drivers window) and one goes to the DC domestic fuse panel in the bedroom cabinet.
That is why I had partial DC. My problem affected the front box.

I had a loose hot input wire on the bottom of the high current box
I am going to pick up a solenoid in case it is an issue later.

Don't know why Monaco used continuos duty solenoids. They get hot and wear out

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
The reason you have some DC and not others is because there are 2 DC systems in the coach. One is house the other chassis. I've had similar issues that were caused by both the house DC cutoff switch breaking apart due to vibration and the "salesman" switch solenoid failing. I replaced the cutoff switch and wired around the solenoid and havn't had a problem since.
Ron
Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here you go. Great info

Monaco Coach - wiringdiagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Jeff, would you mind sharing that link to the diagram. Could be very useful in the future.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Perfect. Thank you!!

Tags
electrical