Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Locked Inside

I am locked inside and cannot open the front door. It seems as best I can tell, the top latch will not release. Any suggestions on how to get the door open or get access to the top latch?? 2006 Monaco Camelot
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It happenned to me once with a Monaco Diplomat 06. It took me a while to figure it out but finally I used my remote fob to unlock the door and get out.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #3

I had the same issue 2 years ago, on mine the door striker bolt came off the latch and stuck in the door, where the twist door lock is on the inside there are some screws that come out and you remove the access panel, once off yo can see inside, in my case I got the dead bolt out of the hole with long nose pliers, I now have a ladder in the closet for window escapes
RonD1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I am locked inside and cannot open the front door. It seems as best I can tell, the top latch will not release. Any suggestions on how to get the door open or get access to the top latch?? 2006 Monaco Camelot
On our 2006 Diplomat it happened in the opposite manner as the door would not open from the outside. My wife just happen to be inside and opened the door. I spent the next hour adjusting the door. If you are still inside you might try pulling on the door and the release at the same time and then push out. Also consider calling someone to come over and try the door from the outside.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you think he is still stuck inside?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:31 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Similar problem. I inadvertently had tried to close the door with the dead bolt extended. This action bent the deadbolt receiver in the coach wall just enough that when I later latched it from the inside it bound up and would not open. The solution for me was to pull the door inward thus allowing the deadbolt to retract when turned. I then took a hammer to the deadbolt receiver and straightened it out, now no problems at all.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
YC1

Sometimes the screen door will jam due to the little plastic holding device mounted on the door. This device holds the tongue of the screen door back out of the way so it does not latch when connected to the door for normal opening and closing.

I finally put some glue behind mine a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully no more issues.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

The clip holding the rod to the handle, inside the door panel, broke on my door handle, replaced the rod clip, ordered from Trimark, issue resolved.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
At the time you added your humor ....yes
Old 12-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Locked Inside

Just an update to those that may have this happen, lots of comments to thank. However, how to get the door open is the question. I was fortunate to have my son in law available to come help. He brought a ladder and tools as mine were in the outside storage. Removal of the panel to gain access is blocked by the screen door. Prying the panel away, 2 screws removed of the 6 that hold it. gave access to at least see in the door area, Removal of the inner door trim allowed me to see the top latch pin mount, large hex wrench allows loosening and then removal of a portion but not the pin. The lower linkage with attachment to the outside handle ad the release/lock mechanism had loosened and it seemed that there was not enough travel to pull the top release . Once the pressure was off we pryed the linkage attachment loose and used needle nose pliers to get a grip on that linkage and it popped open. It is really a dangerous situation if you are lacking mechanical ability to perform this type of work. Also, if you have no vested interest, someone could do serious damage to your coach. You can really come up short on seeing humor in this situation.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #11

Its probably not humorous for those locked in but probably brought a grin
for others .
I can certainly see where this could be scary if not panicky a situation for
anyone especially someone handy capped or not so mobile .
Reminds me of a post by someone a while back when we were reading
about so many rv fires where this man always pulled the picnic table under
his bedroom escape window so they would have a safe place to land .
Its a long way down for those of us in our 70s

If you don't already belong to the Yahoo Monacoers Group you should join .
There you will be able to search in the files section where there are instructions
on how to adjust the locks on your door .
It is important to adjust your door properly or you will find yourself locked
either inside our outside again .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote