Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

Looking at 2013 Monaco

Looking at a 2013 Monaco. MaxxForce engine
350 hp. 9.3. Roadmaster Chassis. 36PFT Knight
Anyone got the good--bad- or ugly that should be looking at. It is new from the dealer. He says motor has 100,000 6 yr warantee. I think. Any comments will be appreciated

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Community Administrator

My only comment would be that I hope your getting at least 40% off MSRP as the 2015's will be out shortly.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
My only comment would be that I hope your getting at least 40% off MSRP as the 2015's will be out shortly.
I agree there and is. My concern not about the $$. More about the motor & coach. We good on the $$ side. Thanks tho
Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Not to upset any MaxForce owners, but I wouldn't buy a coach with the MaxForce engine. When Monaco went out of business the first time, the coaches held their value with a commonly available Cummins or Cat engine. When Monaco went out of business the second time, they had about two years of production using the MaxForce engine. I think if you plan to keep the coach forever, you'll be fine, but if you decide to sell at some point, the MaxForce will not be a desirable choice when someone is looking. It's just like the year or two that they used Mercedes engines in MH's and then quit using them all together. Just my opinion.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

I wouldn't buy any RV with the Maxforce engine. There is a reason that this MH is unsold.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well I would say as long as the price is right, there are a lot of owners with that engine that are happy with it.

So far we are extremely happy with our Diplomat and Maxxforce Engine. 10k miles and 9 months of fulltiming in it.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Well I would say as long as the price is right, there are a lot of owners with that engine that are happy with it.
Like to hear from those owners that have one of these motors. And I appreciate the comments so far. They have made me a very good offer and I'm not overly happy with the coach I have. I'm not concerned at all about the hit I might take on resale. I'm covering that up front. Concern is how good is that motor??? Salesman said it has 6 year 100,000 warantee. I got to verify that. I understand salesmen !! Heck 6 year may outlast me. Ha

Russell
Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Like to hear from those owners that have one of these motors. And I appreciate the comments so far. They have made me a very good offer and I'm not overly happy with the coach I have. I'm not concerned at all about the hit I might take on resale. I'm covering that up front. Concern is how good is that motor??? Salesman said it has 6 year 100,000 warantee. I got to verify that. I understand salesmen !! Heck 6 year may outlast me. Ha

Russell
The motor should be fine as International Harvester (Navistar) has been producing engines for a very long time. My concern would be getting someone to work on the engine when you need service. That is not the size of engine you will commonly find in over the road trucks as it is too small. Most diesel truck repair facilities don't like to work on motorhomes. If you have a Cummins engine most any of the nationwide Cummins authorized repair facilities will work on motorhomes.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:27 AM   #9

We have a 2012 Knight with a MaxxForce engine. Now I'm not going to blow smoke and say we had no trouble with the coach as we had more than our fair share. What I will say is that the MaxxForce 10 engine has been outstanding and I would not hesitate to get another if and when the need is there. The reason that we chose MaxxForce to start with was the fact that we would not have to deal with the added expense and the trouble that using DEF would create and after almost 22'000 miles we are not sorry we made that choice. I might also add that the problems we have had with the coach have been taken care of by Monaco and they have stood behind their product in every way 100% when we needed it .Others may think it would be a mistake for you to buy this coach but I for one will not say that .If you do decide on purchasing it I wish you the best and hope enjoy the heck out of it. ......Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #10

We also have a 2012 Monaco Knight PDQ and we absolutely love it. It has around 10,000 miles on it and no issues with the MaxForce 10 engine. There were some miner coach issues like the furnace blower motor fan shattered and the fresh water pump stopped working, but Monaco customer service was top notch and fixed the issues no questions asked. This is the best motor home we have ever bought and have no regrets buying it. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy it to the fullest.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #11

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses. We are to drive it in just a little while.

The fact that many dealers still have them on their lots is a little telling.

I made them a low ball offer already and they didn't run me out the door so they are wanting to move this unit for sure. Probably add a little if it drives out ok and figure I'll still probably keep the one I got now. I also got some great info from a PM Thanks again to all.

Russell
Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #12

One more thing. Salesman says motor has 6 year & or 100,000 warantee. Does anyone know for sure on that. Thanks. Rissell
Old 01-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
One more thing. Salesman says motor has 6 year & or 100,000 warantee. Does anyone know for sure on that. Thanks. Rissell
Get it on writing on company letterhead prior to purchase and ask to see the warranty papers before going any further just to be on the safe side.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Russell, You asked for comments and you got good and bad, but the simple truth is that the Max Force engine in a coach is not nearly worth same as a coach with a Cummins. It's just facts and also good business to stay with the Cummins or Cat.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote