Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
1984 Monaco Duke 33

Hi bmcgc,

As Einstein is reported to have said, "Things should be as simple as possible ... but no simpler." I'm an engineer and as an acolyte of Murphy, Giver of the Law and its Corollaries, and there's nothing like There's Nothing to Go Wrong. I put up with the bare minimum of Things That Will Go Wrong necessary to move from Point A to Point B without falling apart or burning to the ground.

If I decide that I need more than a basic function, I will install it myself, and design and develop it if I don't like what's available, especially if it's overly expensive and proprietary. I doubt I will need to do much to The Blender as long as it has two speeds - Off and Instant Mixed Drinks. It appears that the spare tire holder would interfere with the mounting of a tow receiver rack, but addition of a couple of taller mounting plates to raise the spare about six inches would correct that.

I do like instrumentation for visualizing data, so I'd probably add some advanced drivetrain sensors connected to a touchscreen computer. I also like my electronic communications and processing gizmos without having to run a genny, so some form of solar collection, storage, and distribution would be added.

Thanks and All the Best,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
East Tucson is my neck of the woods, I lived there 3x. Im visiting my sister this summer.

Thats a fine looking rig. Theres a 84 Foretravel here advertised for sale, mint condition but way to many complicated systems to maintain, like air brakes.

I love the vintage stuff, there was a time when style ranked right up with function on importance.
Jim_Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 08:03 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Hi zmotorsports,

This Monaco Duke is all fiberglass, and appears to be an early forerunner of the top-of-the-line MHs the brand has evolved into the last few decades. Indeed, there were Dynasty Duke models in the late 1990s and at least in 2006. How many MHs of any age have a built-in wooden vanity with a fold-out makeup mirror and jewelry drawer that slides out of the dash in front of the passenger seat?

I'd probably at least add some instrumentation sensors along the drivetrain connected to a touchscreen computer so I could monitor how things are going Down There. I've seen that the 454 in this vintage of MHs ran hot in the right rear corner due to poor air circulation and that after 1984, a plate was added to both divert air there as well as act as a splash guard for water coming up from the right front wheel.

There were very few Dealer Service Bulletins for the 1984 models with this engine and P30 chassis, but most of the models in the 1990s had other issues on equipment that the 1984 models don't have. Simplicity can be Bliss ...

Thanks and All the Best,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Cool older unit. Looks very, very, very similar to our 1984 Travelcraft that was our first motorhome after we sold our 10.5' slide-in camper.

Our Travelcraft was aluminum skinned side, fiberglass roof and fiberglass front and rear end caps. Is that how the Monaco is?

Good luck on the unit and hope you are able to bring it back although it looks pretty decent.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Hi Outbound,

Yeah, that's the real reason for considering this model - I've been thinking I could put a fold-down shelf outside the kitchen window where The Blender motor is mounted in the countertop. There'd be a sign that would read, "Carlos O'Manley's Mexican Cantina", with a menu listing, "Margaritas - $10.00, Tacos - If We Get Around to It".

That's My Story and I'm Stickin' to It,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
What a classic, you will be mobbed in RV parks by Looky Lou's.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:14 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, one other thing to check on the drivetrain. During the mid-late 80's GM P30/P32 chassis were having a vapor locking issue. This was due to the distance the mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine had to pull the fuel from the fuel tank. Being an engineer you know that by pulling a vacuum on a liquid has the opposite effect as pressurizing it and lowers the boiling point. At slow speeds on paved roads in high heat and especially when shut down after a hot run these vehicles would vapor lock and either stumble and die if running or be extremely difficult to start after a fuel up or a brief time being shut down when everything under the coach would become heat soaked.

GM had a TSB back then that talked about adding a small electric fuel pump inside the frame rail on the fuel line to help with this. I used a small Carter in-line fuel pump and mounted as close to the tank as I could get it to push the fuel up to the mechanical fuel pump on the engine.

Between that small modification, having my carburetor and distributor dialed in perfectly I prided myself when pulling into a fuel station, filling up then just bumping the key and the ole' girl would fire right up and purr like a kitten.

Just thought it would be worth mentioning. Best of luck on your new ride.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Well, it looks like purchase of the MarmaDuke won't be happening anytime soon because the owner isn't allowing a test drive at highway speed on safe tires (the ones on it have codes for May 1993 ). I even proposed buying tires to put on it with the requirement that, if any drivetrain problems are found, I'd get the money back for the tires and installation costs if he didn't have the problems corrected.

He apparently thinks he has a work of art, and it is cute, but it also needs to be able to move under its own power. There aren't any maintenance/repair receipts or operating logs, and I'm sure there are things that are about to go or that need significant servicing (e.g., brakes, valves/rings, seals, possibly transmission issues, etc.). The Duke is in Tucson, which is two hours East of Phoenix, that's two hours South of me, and I'm not about to make another trip down there not knowing whether the MH can make it back home, including a 3,000-foot climb over the last 60 miles.

There is an increasing number of other MHs becoming available in the Phoenix area for around the same price that are at least 10 years newer than the Duke with not that many more miles on them, good tires, and documented drivetrains that can be test-driven at Interstate speeds. If the MarmaDuke is still sitting as a curbside lawn ornament by the time we will have another MH, I'll make an offer for its scrap value because, without a test drive, that's all it's worth.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:05 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
i was just surfing CL looking at Class As around Mesa. There are quite a few available in the area. Im thinking about flying in and driving one back to GA. AZ will give me a drive out tag and not collect sales tax, FL will not, so that cuts buying from a FL dealer out for me.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 32 ft 1984 Monaco back several years ago. Traded it off in 2000. The biggest problem I had with the P32 chassis was the steering. The sloppy factory linkage could have been corrected with a set of SuperSteer ball bearing bell cranks. I bought new parts from GM but they were just as sloppy as the originals and gave them back to the dealer who wasn't happy at all but when I showed them how the pivot rattled around inside the fixed housing, they gave me my money back. The only other problem was a plug wire went bad and I didn't notice it - till the exhaust manifold cracked and started ticking. Instead of replacing the cast iron manifold I bought a set of Doug Thorley headers, new pipes and muffler all the way back. One other problem - the refrigerator sprang an ammonia leak and had to be replaced. That was in the fall. After storing it at our membership campground near Cuba, MO, the next spring I discovered the meth heads had drilled a hole in the ammonia storage tank so they could suck out the ammonia to cook their meth. Insurance begrudgingly replaced it. Other than those glitches, I enjoyed it very much. Real wood cabinetry!
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #22

hello Jim

seems like you already put in some real investigative work on the 1984 monaco. we are thinking about buying it and i was wondering if you wrote down the tire sizes for it and would you please share them with us.
richali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #23

Meth heads captured the ammonia out of fridge , that's the first I have heard of that happening. Hello Allstate here's a thing or two for you.
Its a cool old machine if you really want a cool vintage MH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post
I had a 32 ft 1984 Monaco back several years ago. Traded it off in 2000. The biggest problem I had with the P32 chassis was the steering. The sloppy factory linkage could have been corrected with a set of SuperSteer ball bearing bell cranks. I bought new parts from GM but they were just as sloppy as the originals and gave them back to the dealer who wasn't happy at all but when I showed them how the pivot rattled around inside the fixed housing, they gave me my money back. The only other problem was a plug wire went bad and I didn't notice it - till the exhaust manifold cracked and started ticking. Instead of replacing the cast iron manifold I bought a set of Doug Thorley headers, new pipes and muffler all the way back. One other problem - the refrigerator sprang an ammonia leak and had to be replaced. That was in the fall. After storing it at our membership campground near Cuba, MO, the next spring I discovered the meth heads had drilled a hole in the ammonia storage tank so they could suck out the ammonia to cook their meth. Insurance begrudgingly replaced it. Other than those glitches, I enjoyed it very much. Real wood cabinetry!
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #24

Meth heads captured the ammonia out of fridge , that's the first I have heard of that happening. Hello Allstate here's a thing or two for you. I could just see the commercial and statue of 100 lb guys missing teeth
Its a cool old machine if you really want a cool vintage MH . I paid 19K for 95 very top Monaco DP only really needed was 2 tires "at 12yrs Toyos not even a tiny check crack drove it 100 mi home ",4 GC batteries,fixed many lights and fridge vent curb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco