RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #1

Looking for a Monaco

Hi,

Where does the Diplomat fall in to the line-up.

I am looking real hard at a 2003 Monaco Signature Baroness and I am nervous. This would be our first RV. I don't know if I have seen enough RVs to make an informed decision as far as floor plan goes. I know what I like but doubt that I can find one exactly the way I want it. So I trade bathrooms for really nice bedrooms.

BTW are there any other models out there that have that oversized bedroom slide out like the Baroness and the HR?

What do you guys think, do I need to shop around some more. I found a Baroness below wholesale and I don't know if I should pull the trigger. This coach has everything Plz help thanks moira

Moira is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 06:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you can get the Vin #, call Monaco with it. They will be able to tell you things like if there were ever any service bulletins and or recalls for your model. More importantly, they can tell you if the needed repairs were done, when and where.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

Moira, the Sig is a great Motorhome that is very well built. The Roadmaster S chassis is top of the line with ten airbags and ten Bilstein shocks. It is really stable going down the highway with no wandering even in high winds or when a truck passes you. In 2003 they offered the Cummins ISM-500 motor and I think they started offering the Detroit Series 60 but not sure on that. Either motor is a million mile motor and coupled with the Allison 4000 transmission will outlast the rest of the Motorhome. The AquaHot heating system is the best way out there to get unlimited hot water and heat through the coach even while driving. The Onan 12.5 KW diesel generator is also top of the line and had the three cylinder Isuzu diesel in it. The wood inside is solid and well finished. Things do fail and the more automated things are the more they fail in all motorhomes. Normally a Motorhome at that level has not been abused because the people that originally bought it could most likely keep it well maintained. If you have any questions then feel free to email me direct at mike.c@mindspring.com
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Monaco Sig 03 brochure is no longer available but the 02 is and it will give you a idea on the 03, the Sig is the top of the line for Monaco and the ISM is a great engine the only thing I know of is Monaco used a crappy radiator and CAC built by a company in Cal and some had a problem but 12 yrs later I would think that should not be a problem.

http://www.monacocoach.com//library/..._Signature.pdf
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We first owned a Class C and decided we wanted to move into the Class A world. We had looked at a lot of both new and used coaches but in reality didn't really have a clue as to what was good, bad, or ugly.

Dumb luck resulted in us buying a 2002 Monaco Windsor in 2008, at the beginning of the RV bubble. When we looked at it my wife and I both agreed it was a very nice coach at a very good price. We still own the coach and really like it, it has been very dependable.

After ~6 years I have come to realize that we were truly lucky in finding and buying the coach. Monaco, in it's hay day, was one of the best builders.

If the 2003 Signature has been maintained it will provide you with years of service and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a copy of the 03 Signature brochure. Unfortunately, it is too large to download here. Any advice appreciated if a copy is needed.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:44 PM   #8

Great coach built to last. If you are tall like me be aware that in 05 Monaco raise the interior about 7 inches. Be sure the coach has 4 slide outs. You will love the extra room.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2004 Monaco 45' Signature. We have been full time in the coach for 2 1/2 years now and are absolutely, totally satisfied with the Signature. The ride with the Roadmaster S chassis is one of the best there is. Handling in cross winds and on less than satisfactory roads is great.

If the coach you are looking at has been well maintained, snap it up right away. You'll be hard pressed to find a better coach. I have the 2004 brochure as a PDF file. The 03 and 04 were very similar coaches. If you send me a PM with your email, I'll send you a copy.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 04 Diplomat, notag axle, no aqua hot , has 3 slides, love the coach it is our 8th rv and second Monaco ( first Monaco was a 99 diplomat) . The 04 has oversized tires 295/70/r22.5 vs the 255 or 275's that were original equipment. Has a decent ride, decent fuel economy ( ISC 330hp) gives us 8-9mpg towing a ford escape. Have camped in 5degree weather with no freez-ups, has cargo heat, higher end monaco's have tank heaters, you will not find a better coach than a Monaco, yes there were some models that were built on the rr4r chassis that suffered from cracked trailing arms, stay with the RR8r 8 airbag chassis or one with a tag axle that has 10 airbags...both are stable going down the road. My 04 I can drive tith one hand on the wheel evn when being passed by a fast moving semi. There is always a debate on side vs rear radiator, look for a coach that has an external trans cooler ( not built into the radiator as they are prone to fail). Always look for a diesel Onan generator, not propane, you will love the diesel generator, we run ours almost 100% going down the road in 80+ temps to run both a/c's as it only takes 1/2 gallon an hour.
Overall Monaco builds one of the best coaches for the money on the used market, hands down.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Monaco is the best motorhome for the money....I looked for two years to find my 2001 Dynasty 38 Jack, aqua hot heat and hot water, Gerard auto awning, real cherry wood cabinets, dual pane windows, Onan diesel gen w/auto start, in motion sat, Corian counter tops, a real china toilet, 370 hp cumins ISL, Allison 3000 and many more top of the line features. The 2003 Sig will have all that and more. BUY IT NOW...the word is out on the early to mid Monacos and they don't stay on the market long. Like was said before, the guy who could afford to buy the Sig new most likely took good care of it.

You original question was .... where does the Diplomat fit in the Monaco line up? just below the Dynasty, but it can be a big jump to the Dynasty feature wise. Depende on the build sheet. There were many expensive up grades. A well maintained Dip with lots of options might be a better buy than a low option Dynasty. I said might...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
If you can get the Vin #, call Monaco with it. They will be able to tell you things like if there were ever any service bulletins and or recalls for your model. More importantly, they can tell you if the needed repairs were done, when and where.
Thanks Tiki,
I called Monaco and they told me the Aqua Hot had a recall. They gave me their number. I called the Aqua Hot people and they said there wasn't any recall. The inspector guy found a recall on the refrigerator that Monaco did not tell me about.

Also I got a car fax on it and found that the rv had 6 contact claims recently. Now get this, when I called the repair shop they told me that they couldn't tell me what it was in the shop for because of privacy issues!! What!! since when a rv has privacy rights AND why in the world would anybody do a car fax and be denied the information of the repair.

We got ahold of the previous owner and he had the repair shop send over the paperwork on the repairs. thanks moira
Old 05-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Moira, the Sig is a great Motorhome that is very well built. The Roadmaster S chassis is top of the line with ten airbags and ten Bilstein shocks. It is really stable going down the highway with no wandering even in high winds or when a truck passes you. In 2003 they offered the Cummins ISM-500 motor and I think they started offering the Detroit Series 60 but not sure on that. Either motor is a million mile motor and coupled with the Allison 4000 transmission will outlast the rest of the Motorhome. The AquaHot heating system is the best way out there to get unlimited hot water and heat through the coach even while driving. The Onan 12.5 KW diesel generator is also top of the line and had the three cylinder Isuzu diesel in it. The wood inside is solid and well finished. Things do fail and the more automated things are the more they fail in all motorhomes. Normally a Motorhome at that level has not been abused because the people that originally bought it could most likely keep it well maintained. If you have any questions then feel free to email me direct at mike.c@mindspring.com
Thank you Mike you are very kind. I am afraid that I will need your help in the future. Thanks for making me feel comfortable with this purchase. moira
Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
The Monaco Sig 03 brochure is no longer available but the 02 is and it will give you a idea on the 03, the Sig is the top of the line for Monaco and the ISM is a great engine the only thing I know of is Monaco used a crappy radiator and CAC built by a company in Cal and some had a problem but 12 yrs later I would think that should not be a problem.

http://www.monacocoach.com//library/..._Signature.pdf
Thank you Walt. The inspection guy didn't look at the radiator because he said he couldn't get to it. What is a CAC? thanks