Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I have an Executive with the Detroit. Love the Coach and the powertrain. I also have the Vorad system and use the cruise control often. My only wish is that it would allow for a bit closer following distance. You have to move over to pass a slower vehicle sooner than you normally would or it will start to slow down. Makes for a very relaxing drive though. We were considering a new coach but nothing out there comes close to the quality unless you look at Foretravel and up.
Good luck with your search and purchase. Be sure to have oil samples done on the engine and trans and also find a highly recommended inspector to go over it in detail for you prior to finalizing any deal.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #30
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
As others have said, I would advise to go with a coach that is a 2007 or older, so you don't get the diesel emissions. Pre-emissions are easier and cheaper to work on.

You do not want a CAT engine with emissions (Google "Cat ARD head").

Maybe Cummins is better regarding emissions devices - but I would still stay away from it if possible.

Good luck
My 2008 Camelot Cummins motor is not a DEF motor. It all depends on when the chassis/motor was mfg and used by Monaco. When I ordered my coach I demanded a non DEF motor and was told no problem. So there are Monaco rigs out there that are 2008 and possibly 2009 depending on when the chassis was mfg.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
My dynasty has the ISM engine without any DPF or DEF. It's a 2009 Yorkshire with 500 horsepower.
I love it!
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
My 2008 Camelot Cummins motor is not a DEF motor. It all depends on when the chassis/motor was mfg and used by Monaco. When I ordered my coach I demanded a non DEF motor and was told no problem. So there are Monaco rigs out there that are 2008 and possibly 2009 depending on when the chassis was mfg.
My 2009 Camelot 40QDP has a 425 Cummings and is a non DEF motor, never had any issues, purrs like a kitten!
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #33

Joining the family

Well, contingent upon inspections, and test drives tomorrow, I guess I belong here.

http://www.legacycoach.com/learn-about-our--2007-Beaver-Marquis-Onyx-IV-Quad-Slide-525HP

DW and I are very excited. We have a handshake deal.
theBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Just looked at it. Very nice. Looks to be in excellent condition. I hope the inspection goes well for you.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Georgesmith, that's a beautiful coach! Beaver has the nicest wood work of any coach ever made and 2007 is a great year for these coaches.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
To those who have Monacos with the Detroit DD60 engine. I hear great things but also recell hearing a lot about some Monacos which had big problems with their Detroits, blowing radiators, overheating, etc. No offense meant to the many DD60 owners who love 'em.

I expect that many who have had no problems are keeping their DD60 Monacos; that just increases the chance of those on the market being the 'problem' ones. Would love to get one of the 'great' DD60 Execs or Sigs ... but how do I tell the difference? I'd hate to get rid of a good performing older Dynasty and wind up with one of those 'bad' DD60's ...
Old 01-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Detroit powered coach. They did have a radiator issue that was replaced under recall/warrantee. Mine was replaced before I bought it. I have never had any overheating issues. Bothe the engine and trans always stay very stable. The trans will only creep up about 20 degrees after a long steep grade. I normally am towing about 7000 lbs. I would encourage you to try to find one but be certain the radiator was replaced.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I'm going to slightly disagree with the model years previously recommended. Monaco filed Chapter 11 in Mar 2009 and had been building 2009 model coaches since Jun 2008. I've looked at several 2009 model coaches and not seen any issues since most were built in 2008.
Monaco stocked Cummins engines in large quantities, so most coaches will have an engine from 1-2 years prior to the coach model year. A 2009 coach will have a non-DEF Cummins engine from 2007 or 2008.

I also like the Monaco Intellitec multiplex system introduced in 2006. The switches light up and are easy to read. Prior to this, they are small dark brown rocker switches that are impossible to read at night.

I would search from 2003 to 2009 model year and include sister coaches from Holiday Rambler (Navigator and Imperial) and Beaver Coach (Patriot and Marquis). Also make sure you look at Monaco Executives and Signatures (1 and 2 models above the Dynasty) as there are some great buys out there. The Executive and Signature will come standard with a larger Cummins ISM 500hp engine and have optional Cummins 525 ISX and Detroit 515hp Series 60 (if you find one of these grab it!).

You can find nice coaches prior to 2003, but they likely will have only 1-2 slide outs (1 front and 1 back). Dynasty also switched from the Cummins 350hp ISC to the 370/400hp Cummins ISL in 2002. You will find the 42' Dynasty models will come standard with 3 roof A/C's and an Onan 10k generator as well as a stronger Roadmaster chassis.

Caution: Pricing will vary as much as $100k on the same make model coach. Make sure you search nationwide. An airline ticket is cheap compared the the money you will save.
You can download the legacy brochures and learn a lot about the coaches:
https://www.monacocoach.com/brochures-download/get

Best of luck!
I have a 2009 and have had very few issues at all. We have friends as well that also have a 2009 with like results. Our 2009 was built in March of 2008. Our coach still runs and looks new.The build quality has been outstanding. With the 2009 you will have a DPF filter, but in our case it regens about once a year, and has been seamless. The Key is to find a well maintained coach. We had a 2004 Holiday Rambler before this coach, and it also was outstanding. Regards
Old 02-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
As others have said, I would advise to go with a coach that is a 2007 or older, so you don't get the diesel emissions. Pre-emissions are easier and cheaper to work on.
2007 could have DPF.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
So here is a question for all those that have shopped for one of these illustrious coaches... Where did you look? I have been watching Craigslist, eBay, RV Trader, RVT, local dealers, etc. for some time now as well as the ads our fellow members put on this site. I have come across a few as Steve O. can attest (I pester him a lot). For the most part, what I find is well used, poorly maintained, highly modified using cheap methods, or just downright outrageous on pricing. Most are being sold by dealers that have less knowledge than I do about the product. What sources are there in addition to the above for finding a lovely 2003/2004 Dynasty. I wish some of the current owners on this forum would decided let them go. Sharing with others is nice. As Frank Burns said... It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Any advice you'all have would be appreciated.
malmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmeter View Post
So here is a question for all those that have shopped for one of these illustrious coaches... Where did you look? I have been watching Craigslist, eBay, RV Trader, RVT, local dealers, etc. for some time now as well as the ads our fellow members put on this site. I have come across a few as Steve O. can attest (I pester him a lot). For the most part, what I find is well used, poorly maintained, highly modified using cheap methods, or just downright outrageous on pricing. Most are being sold by dealers that have less knowledge than I do about the product. What sources are there in addition to the above for finding a lovely 2003/2004 Dynasty. I wish some of the current owners on this forum would decided let them go. Sharing with others is nice. As Frank Burns said... It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Any advice you'all have would be appreciated.

I feel your pain. Occasionally we "kick the tires" always on the lookout for a bigger, newer Monaco...

Dealer sales personnel are generally marginally knowledgeable, the worst being generally high pressure and spouting lots of "facts" as they try to impress you with their 'expertise'. Ideally, a private sale, from someone you know, someone who takes good care of their coach... is the best direction, although those are usually not the coaches that are for sale... the owners want to keep them!

Learn as much as you can about what to look at, where to find signs of poor maintenance abuse, prior damage , etc. and you'll become your own "expert". One will come along eventually and you'll have learned enough to distinguish the good from the bad.

I find RV Trader and RVT as good reliable websites... that's not to say that the sellers are necessarily reliable. Most of the ads are dealers.. guess that also applies to Ebay as well. I do not recall seeing any Monacos at all on craigslist. You can always just google {whatever you want} for sale and try your luck on any given day.

Good luck searching.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #42

I have the 2002 Monaco Executive, 500 ISM, 40', tag axle, triple slide, I heard this may be a rare combination for 2002 year model, love its size, hp and room being it's only 40'.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco