Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #1

Looking for guidance

We've owned several newer trailers but never coach. We are looking at a cosmetically clean 22k mile 2001 Monaco Knight. I have been reading until I am blue in the face on these things. I would love to get your guy's input. I have a few pics i'd like to post and see if you guys can identify the engine, brakes, trailing arms etc.

Name:   IMG_5811.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:   IMG_5814.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:   IMG_5836.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:   IMG_5845.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  24.3 KB
12ozcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #2

More Pics

More pics
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

Hi 12ozcurls; Have you gone to the Monaco Coach web site and viewed the brochure for the 2001 Knight. There will be all the info on the coach including standard and optional equipment. See you have the build sheet for the coach so you know what optional equipment is on the coach. Make sure you check the rear trailing arms as that year could be the ones that were recalled. Lots of info here on the trailing arms with pictures. Use the search box at the top right of this page and put in trailing arms for a 2001 Monaco Knight. You also might contact Source Engineering in Coburg Oregon as they make the upgraded trailing arms. Should say on the build sheet for your engine and transmission and the brakes are air over hydraulic. We were looking at a new 2003 Knight back in 03. Considering what the dealer wanted for the Knight we found a 3 year old Monaco Windsor for 30K less than the dealer wanted to sell the Knight to us for. Sorry, my opinion, the Knight is no where the coach a Windsor is in the Monaco lineup. Just my comparison of what I was getting for my money. Just to let you know that the mileage is extremely low for that year of Knight. This means it has sat a lot of it's life.
If you are not mechanically inclined and a do it yourselfer, I would have the coach inspected by professionals. This includes the chassis and the house to make sure there are no hidden problems somewhere that could be very expensive to repair. Others here will chime in. Ask lots of questions. Always glad to try to answer them. Good luck on your purchase! P.S. See your location is Bend Oregon. One of our favorite places to stay. Beaver Coach Sales in Bend is a good source for parts and service. You might get someone there to answer some questions if you need to. Have bought parts there before and have read that their service department is knowledgeable.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #4

@8.3Oilburner

Thanks. The build sheet doesnít list any engine, tranny or brake info. The trailing arms appear to be the welded ones (and this is a 12/00) and doesnít appear to be the dreaded trailing arms but check the pics I attached. I did look at Monaco brochure but it doesnít answer the questions either. I called Monaco and stayed on hold for 20 minutes and gave up especially knowing they arenít even the same Monaco who manufactured this. I called beaver to get the history and they refused to give the history of the coach without consent of the original owner (Iím working on that). The original, and only owner, was the vp or similar at Beaver here in Bend. Haha. Can you tell from the pics which 5.9 it is? Wet sleeve or the other one? How about brakes? They werenít marked Bosch but not sure.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #5

Good morning 12ozcurls; This morning I checked the Monaco 2001 Knight brochure. At the very bottom of the brochure it gives all the chassis specs. Lists the standard and optional engines and the model of transmissions. The engines are ISB ranging from 260 H.P. to optional 300 H.P. On the build sheet for my 01 Windsor it lists the engine type, ISC 350 H.P. and the transmission, Allision 3000 MH 6 speed. I think the 5.9 is not a wet sleeve engine, but not 100% sure as the only Cummins engines I have owned are wet sleeve. Cummins has a 1-800 number to call and they provide good information. I could not enlarge the picture of your build sheet so could not read it, but I am guessing that if you have an optional engine and transmission it would show under optional equipment on the bottom of that sheet.

On the trailing arms, again I can't tell from the pictures but I am sure if you contacted Source Engineering they would be able to tell you by the year and vin. number of the coach. Also sorry I don't have info on the brakes. I think in the brochure they are listed, air over hydraulic and that is not any info to tell what brand of calipers Monaco used. You would probably need the axle information to drill down on that. Hope someone here who has an 01 Knight will respond to get you the info you need.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote