Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Heartland RV Club
looking for Holiday Rambler DP 325 hp Cummins owners

Getting ready to look at 2008 HR 35 footer DP with cummins 325. Looking for advice on the good, bad and ugly of owning one. Also, it has a cracked windshield, any idea on cost to replace?

Thanks in advance..
7mtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What model Holiday Rambler?
Is it a Cummins ISB 5.9L, or ISC 8.3L 325hp? Big difference in torque. If you do not live or travel in the mountains and do not tow anything, the smaller engine is fine.
Plan on $1000-1200 for the windshield.
Check the outside bottom edges of the slideouts for water damage.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't know anything about that rig. I would get a quote on the windshield as they can be really expensive!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #4

Heartland RV Club
Thanks for the info, it's a HR Vacationer XL, according to the documentation I have its Cummins®5.9L ISB-AD 325 HP Engine with Torque: 610 lbs./ft. Max. Net at
1,600 RPM and an Allison® 1000 MH 6-Speed World Transmission. Roadmaster RSR / floorplan 36WBD. I hear the higher the Torque the better and I am not sure where the 610lbs. falls in the category, but assuming low as Vito.A describes

It has a 4k lb towing capacity, which I thought wasn't to good considering the gas version has a 5k towing. Our plan is to travel west with a TOAD (be it a small one with only 4k).

Again, thanks
Old 06-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sorry to tell you the Allison MH-1000 transmission is a serious limitation. It was originally introduced as a 5 speed transmission for pickups and in 2005 was upgraded to a 6 speed, but the overall torque limitation of 620 Ft Lbs remained unchanged. Some folks do not think it belongs in a 30,000# motorhome much less towing a car behind.
The Cummins 5.9L ISB is a great engine in a Dodge pickup, but seriously limited in a 30,000# motorhome.
My advice is to look for something with at least 1000 Ft Lbs of Torque and the MH-3000 Allison transmission.
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #6

I have a friend with that same engine/trans combo, he thinks it does just fine. He understands that he will never be first up the hill, but he will always make it. I on the other hand have a HR Imperial, 370 h.p. 1200 ft/lb isl engine, and personally wouldn't buy a coach with that small of an engine. He gets better fuel economy then I do. Everything is a compromise.......
RescueRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:48 AM   #7

Heartland RV Club
Appreciate every ones feed back, my search for the right one continues..

Tags
cummins, holiday rambler