Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Looking to buy a 2007 Diplomat

Hi,

I'm new to the RV world and am looking at jumping in on a used, low milage, 2007 Diplomat from a private party. What are some items I should look for during my first visual inspection? Also who and where in western PA would I take this Rig for a pre-purchase inspection?

Any tips and trick greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John
JohnnyRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2!
A 2007 Diplomat is a great coach built on an RR8R Roadmaster chassis with 8 outboard airbags and 8 shocks. It will have a Cummins ISL 400hp engine and an Allison MH3000 6 speed transmission (both great).
Look at the outside-underside of each slideout for possible water damage.
Inspect the dates on tires (no more than 7 years) and batteries (should last 3-5 years). Ask for service records. Both are expensive, so if they need replacing deduct this from the price.
Set aside a budget for updates (TV's and stereo) and repairs.

Do a Google search for RV inspection in Wester PA and you will get several returns. Start dialing and asking questions until you find someone.

The ONLY fault I have with a Diplomat is the rear radiator (vs a side radiator). This makes it difficult to work on the engine and is prone to clogging with oil and dirt.
Download the orginal brochure here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures?y=2007

Look up the RV NADA pricing for this make/model before you go look.
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs
Also do a search on RVTrader.com and RVT.com for this make model plus or minus 1 year and then rank order by price, lowest first. This will give you a feel for pricing.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There is a short run of isl400 that had wrist pin issues. A quick google search will show you the serial numbers. We bought our 07 Alpine I had the bad numbers with me and confirmed the engine was not one.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased my 07 new and it has been solid for 43,000 miles. Like Vito a. stated do a google search and check out the engine serial number. The only thing I have replaced on my ISL 400 was the exauast manifold which was $900 installed. Even though it is a rear radiator I have never had any overheating issues. I pull a 2009 Jeep Unlimited.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi John! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I don't know anything about the 2007 models.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #6

Update:

The 2007 Diplomat (SKQ) has all new tires, batteries, and refrigerator (full size). 38,000 miles on the OD. The only issue is a side camera which he is replacing this week. I have the VIN but not the engine number. I will check that during the mechanical inspection.

We negotiated a price and have agreed to send it in for a complete inspection by a motorhome shop I have chosen. Anything identified costing over $500 would be split 50/50. I have one more detailed walkthrough and test drive scheduled prior to the mechanical inspection once the camera is repaired.

The rig appears to be in great condition. all 4 slide outs look clean and no water damage. Roof was clean. It had all the extras too (washer/dryer, central vac, 2 basement sliders). The interior was spotless and hardwoods like new. Unless something is found significantly out-of-order this deal will close within about two week. Looks like I'm buying my first Rig!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
There is a short run of isl400 that had wrist pin issues. A quick google search will show you the serial numbers. We bought our 07 Alpine I had the bad numbers with me and confirmed the engine was not one.
X2 although I previously thought to not worry about an engine in the recall with lots of miles on it, but last week I talked with an owner who’s push rod put a big hole in the side of his ISL engine at 50K miles. It was in the affected serial #s and after 4 years, hiring an attorney, going to court, having a judge admonished Cummins to answer questions on how many engine had failed, Cummin offered to put a new engine in for $15K (he took the offer) without answering how many engines had failed (probably enough for a class action law suite).

He could not use his rig for 4 years, had to put new tire and batteries once engine replaced, and only by finally hiring a good attorney and a judge that got upset with Cummins runaround he finally paid $15K for a new engine. Did not ask if the new engine had the new pollution stuff.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like the stonewalling Cummins is doing to those of us with the ISX's that break valves off in #6. They have new redesigned parts but are taking no responsibility for cost of repairs, some $30-40,000.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Link to the ISL wrist pin thread. The 2007 model should not be in this range but I would check the serial numbers to be sure.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isl-...ge-180891.html
RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
There is an excellent chance a 07 Dip has a 06 ISL engine...Monaco bought up a bunch of extra 06 engines. My 08 Navigator has a 06 engine...one of the reasons I bought it.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
There is an excellent chance a 07 Dip has a 06 ISL engine...Monaco bought up a bunch of extra 06 engines. My 08 Navigator has a 06 engine...one of the reasons I bought it.
The 07 I purchased was built in 7/06. Would that be a better engine (from a wrist pin issue perspective)?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I checked my engine serial number before I bought our new to us 2007 motorhome and found out my engine was built after the wrist pin problem
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
My 06 engine was also built after the wrist pin problem. I had already ordered the Diplomat and did not know about the problem until I took delivery of it, just got lucky.