Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
this has been a great discussion for as I have an older Garmin not designed for RV life. I like to prioritize, so a unit designed for RV is critical. I listed what I think is important for me when RV'ing. Not sure if they can do all this.

road selection
bridge heights
traffic conditions
weather conditions/warnings
campgrounds
rest stops and gas stations
portable - duel capable for use in tow vehicle (save some money )
free software upgrades (probably not but which manufacturer is cheaper?)
Yankee Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
So Neil one may have a 7710 or 5510, but you still have to keep your eyes open and watch the signs etc. You were lucky you could turn around, and stopped before you lowered your roof. I did see a U-tube video of a 5th wheel loosing the air conditioner and never knew it hit the over pass. deSanford
You are 100% correct.

If that is the same video I saw, there were flashing lights that signaled the rig was over height, but he just kept on trucking. Can't cure "that's never going to happen to me," syndrome.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #45
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Get a Garmin with a suction mount and stick it on the side window. For a bigger screen, move your face closer.

I tried that, but my nose kept hitting the screen!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JFGOBUCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I tried that, but my nose kept hitting the screen!
Wouldn't work in my case and I don't need glasses; just slightly longer arms.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #48

Traps90- I have the older Magellan 1700 and one of it's negatives is the inability to add POIs from the internet. Did I get this right, that you can now add your own custom POIs?
thanks,
Jim aka Relgle
jdrelgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
The Woodalls will be available for the Rand later this year. It will be an automatic download thru the Connect Software.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #50

Bob- I am hoping for the ability to download POIs from the the internet that i choose.....this is one of the better features of garmin.
jdrelgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by relgel View Post
Bob- I am hoping for the ability to download POIs from the the internet that i choose.....this is one of the better features of garmin.
You can add personal POIs to the Rand 5510 & 7710. Instructions are in the RAND Dock files.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #52

Recently Purchased (3 weeks ago) a Rand McNally 7710 for our new Coach and drove it home from Florida to Texas. These are my initial experiences.
What I like about it so far is... the 7 inch display. It is very easy to see. The tabs are also easy to see and read. The voice direction is clear, and the map colors are good. I did not experience the previous issues of super glare and not seeing it well. While a glare will hamper some visability, there is enough adjustment to help compensate which is acceptable. I also purchased the "glare hood" which helps. But if you mount it in the right position, it avoids some of this issue. I mount it on the upper left hand window pointing downward.

The mount is quite strong once engaged. But it has to be on glass. It doesn't stick to
the dash material. But once on the window, it doesn't move or fall off.

The voice (we chose the man's voice) is clear and precise and you can adjust the volume even for the "hard of hearing" (which I am not

We did have two issues....one minor in that the booklet that comes with it describes the unit with the buttons described in the wrong places. The customer service rep I called said they will fix that. I find this to be minor but also an oversight that shouldn't have occured.

The other problem and more frustrating is on our maiden trip from Florida the Charging cord you plug into the GPS then the Cigarrette lighter, broke almost immediately. The end of the plug that goes into the recepticle just broke off . So we had to charge the
GPS by AC to be able to use it. BTW , it will only hold a charge for about an hour and 20 minutes or so.

So when we hit the next Camping World we stopped to exchange the charging cord. They gave us another one without any issues. Now fast forward to yesterday. We flew to Calif for a week and rented a car. We packed the GPS with us. Used it when we got our rental car plugged in the charging cord to lighter recepticle and one hour later in LA traffic, our unit power went off. Well turns out the cord broke again in the same
exact place. Now I have read reviews of the 7710 and have not seen this as an issue, so I am not sure what to think, but for me its two for two.

Its Memorial day Weekend so when Tuesday comes around, I will call Rand McNally and have a discussion with someone other than a telephone rep. In my view this is a weak link that borders on Crap! Wouldn't it be nice if they made these kinds of cords as a universal type so one charging cord fits all mobile phones and other mobil devices such as GPS etc. THis would have at least provided us with a back up to be able to use our cell phone charging cords......

So I would say until they can replace this weak link.....buyer be ware. If they can't resolve this for me, we will get a refund. Its a shame because I like most of what it does.......

Ciao for now
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
I just got back from Costco and they have a couple of 5" screens on Magellan GPSs for less then $140.00 with lifetime maps, and traffic alerts etc. I also saw one that can be used for a "tour" director for various tourist venues. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know if it's been mentioned here but there are a few PC based Nav systems; if you travel with a laptop the additional investment is generally less than $100. (DeLorme has a promotional package that includes software plus the GPS receiver for about 50 bucks). I know other Laptop products are out there, incl. Microsoft Streets&Trips and another (don't remember the name) sold by Camping World.

There are advantages/disadvantages here, but you might want to look into those options.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rand McNally

I have the rand mcnally 7" screen made for rvs and have found volume to be great and the display easy to read and has worked great for finding gas stations as i was 60 ft long when towing my pontoon boat so told it moho length and trailer length and the built in campground directory was handy.
Downside's
No Bluetooth to marry up my phone
No easy way to change route i.e. we were heading from vancouver to bakersfield and it always want's to take either the shortest or fastest route which was Hwy 99 with 2000 towns with on off exits vs I5 with the odd off ramp and so if you now better route you have to put in a intersection or town center of a town that you have no intention of stopping at.It's a touch screen you should be able to just pull the route over like google maps Oh Well maybe one day
Still in general like it
HatzicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by relgel View Post
Traps90- I have the older Magellan 1700 and one of it's negatives is the inability to add POIs from the internet. Did I get this right, that you can now add your own custom POIs?
thanks,
Jim aka Relgle

Sorry somehow missed this, I do know that I can set it for example to locate all Walmarts or Starbucks etc. It will then show you all locations for the next 100 miles listing from the nearest to farthest.

Has pretty much all campgrounds in the systema and very easy to find.

One feature I really like is for stopping to make lunch it list's all rest stops for the next hundred miles so you can choose which one you want to stop at.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps