RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #1

Looking to Purchse 2007 Monaco Noble lll Need advice

Hello forum members. Im new here. I am considering purchasing a 2007 Monaco signature Noble lll. It has the 600hp Cummins ISX engine. 46,000 miles. 12,500 kw Onan generator. I will be pulling a 28 stacker trailer about 18,000 lbs. loaded. I will be using a trailer toad. The coach is clean and has excellent service records. We will be going fulltime. I would appreciate any and all input regarding your thoughts about this coach in general, the handling, and comfort and and other insights you could share with me. Also, any thoughts regarding my towing ability and fulltime livability. Thank you very much.

MCW427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure how using a trailer toad impacts the overall towing capacity but the rig only has a 10,000 hitch. I know I see coaches pulling large stackers all the time, no idea what there hitch capacity is.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #3

I would do a good bit of reading on the 600 hrs for that year. Egr or not? They have been a nightmare for many owners. Not sure of the years that have the major problems or if it's all years. . the 525 seems to hold up well.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Sorry but I'm not a fan for the full wall slide and the bath and a half with the exposed second toilet...different strokes for different folks. That's the least of the issues as you need to go to the Cummins section and start reading about the dropped #6 valve in the ISX. Don't get me wrong, I love the big Monaco's of the 04-08 vintage and I have a ISX but hopefully the 525 HP is not a problem...no real answer to what's going on and reports of all HPs having the issue. Even though it's a 07 rig, it will have a 06 engine so less pollution BS.

Do a search on the RR10S chassis...best handling rig for the money. Prices are all over the place for these rigs...some well over $200K. I had to have a 08 MH when I upgraded but would have much preferred something like this with a Detroit engine. https://www.mhsrv.com/2006-monaco-rv...er-tx-i1988609 I like this floorplan with the bedroom having a more open area.

I understand what a "trailer toad" does but a 07 Sig is going to weigh probably 2000 lbs more than a 06 Exe. The 10K hitch is very strong so your 18K trailer does not bother me but that's almost double it's rating and you will be exceeding the combined weight rating.

We half time in ours with 3 months in one spot during the winter. We like the expanded area of the LR and this is part of the reason we did not want a bath and half.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I would do a good bit of reading on the 600 hrs for that year. Egr or not? They have been a nightmare for many owners. Not sure of the years that have the major problems or if it's all years. . the 525 seems to hold up well.

The engine problem is with the 650 HP dropping the #6 valve.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

I'm sure in past reading I have seen the same happen to the lower hp motors. It's the same isx 2007 epa motor from 525 to 650 hp. I think Cummins dropped the 650 after 2 head revisions. It is by far the biggest offender. Their site shows from 385 to 650 on the epa 2007 isx.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Sorry but I'm not a fan for the full wall slide and the bath and a half with the exposed second toilet...different strokes for different folks. That's the least of the issues as you need to go to the Cummins section and start reading about the dropped #6 valve in the ISX. Don't get me wrong, I love the big Monaco's of the 04-08 vintage and I have a ISX but hopefully the 525 HP is not a problem...no real answer to what's going on and reports of all HPs having the issue. Even though it's a 07 rig, it will have a 06 engine so less pollution BS.

Do a search on the RR10S chassis...best handling rig for the money. Prices are all over the place for these rigs...some well over $200K. I had to have a 08 MH when I upgraded but would have much preferred something like this with a Detroit engine. https://www.mhsrv.com/2006-monaco-rv...er-tx-i1988609 I like this floorplan with the bedroom having a more open area.

I understand what a "trailer toad" does but a 07 Sig is going to weigh probably 2000 lbs more than a 06 Exe. The 10K hitch is very strong so your 18K trailer does not bother me but that's almost double it's rating and you will be exceeding the combined weight rating.

We half time in ours with 3 months in one spot during the winter. We like the expanded area of the LR and this is part of the reason we did not want a bath and half.
Very good information, thank you. This rig went into a custom frame shop and had the entire rear end beefed up. Then a 20,000 lb. hitch was installed. I found many 525’s that I liked but was afraid I needed the power of the 600 for what I have to pull behind me. What doyou think about pulling the load with the 525?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #8

Many years ago we were at the Monaco service center in Coburg, OR getting work done on our coach. This was back when Monaco let customers stay in their rigs in the service bays. Next to us they were working on a stacker trailer getting it ready for a customer. They are impressive trailers but there is no way on earth I would want to deal with something that large and heavy always behind us. As a stacker trailer is almost always going to be hooked up to the coach, you are going to need one long pull through site. Plus room for the vehicles that were inside the trailer. Would eliminate 95% of any campsite we've ever stayed in.

The thought of getting in a tight spot with that setup would give me the heeby jeebies. I'd stick with a nice SUV toad and get rid of the other toys. If they're motorcycles or quads you could carry them in the back of a toad pickup or have one those bike lifts installed.

As far as the coach goes, the Signature is as good as it gets without stepping up to the Newell's and Foretravel's of the world. Full wall slides were a 2007 only floorplan option. There might be a reason for that. That's a big hole they had to cut into what was an awesome chassis to accommodate a 30+foot slide out. Something to consider.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Both are 15 liters and a 525 makes 1650 ftlbs and a 600 makes 1850 ftlbs...11% difference. The first 2 gears in the Alison do not lock up so I doubt you would notice the difference.
I try and not second guess people’s decisions but since Snowman brought it up (blame this on him) I agree with him that you are creating a nightmare. You will be well over the 65’ max length many states have... fortunately it’s not often enforced. One of the advantages of a trailer is you can backup BUT with the trailer dolly...not very far. How are you going to get the stacker into the storage area? I can’t imagine how limiting pull through only sites and not being able to backup will be. I’ve spent a fair amount of time making it possible for me to be able to backup without unhooking the toad. The freedom this creates is priceless.

We are half timers because we have to much stuff we are not willing to get rid of...I get wanting to keep some of the toys BUT you are taking a lot of the fun out of RVing. You can forget USFS CGs (our favorite) as you will be going from Resort to Resort at $100/night and miles away from our in the middle of nowhere at $6/night.

With only this post it’s impossible to try and understand where you are coming from and where you are trying to go other than full time. Good Luck
Old 03-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #10

This rig with the high HP Cummins is a ticking time bomb. I would plan on having the head removed and replace the valves. There are plenty of horror stories out there, dont let you be the next one.
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My Noble III has 84,000 miles, no engine problems so far. Generator has 1400 hours, no problems there either. Rebuilt Allison 4000 was installed around 38,000 miles. Who knows what the future holds, the sky isn't falling yet. The concept of working a deal for a new head may have merit, there's no way to know until it's apart.

The full wall slide has not been a problem except; the plastic pieces under the slide should be replaced with stainless steel, the slide locks are problematic so I disconnected them and the Girard topper was factory installed with too many articulatinons causing a hangup. Removing two of them, per Girard Tech advice cured that. The hydraulic hose started shedding its outer skin so I replaced it, two 20' pieces and two 25' pieces, an easy job. For some reason Monaco used a different brand hose on the big slide.

The biggest problem with a Signature? You won't be happy with any coach other than a Foretravel, Prevost, etc. after living in it.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

We had friends that bought a new 2007 Signature Noble III at the time.

They kept it until 2012 with just under 60,000 miles. They didn't have any trouble with the engine except the ISX sits low in the cradle so be careful pulling into low driveway dips. They knocked a whole in the oil pan pulling into the T/A station on Blue Diamond and I-15 in Las Vegas. Oil everywhere!

Otherwise, just normal stuff that coaches need.

I like the way the slide awnings are attached to the slides, the big roller is attached to the roof with minimal 'bulkiness' on the slide edge. Their full wall slide worked great, I don't remember them mentioning any problems.

The only thing about the full wall slide is keeping the top of the slide free of debris. People don't seem to complain about it so it must not be a problem. We had a 2008 Monaco Dynasty with four slides and I would clean the top of the slide between the awning on a regular basis.

Safe travels and good luck,
Mark
Old 03-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the others. The Signature is Monaco's top of the line coach and after owning one, nothing else will do. You could easily spend $700,000 on a 2019 model coach and not get one built as well as a 2007 Monaco Signature.
The Signature is built on a Roadmaster RR10S chassis. It has 10 air bags and 10 shocks and can trace its roots back to a Chrysler designed military vehicle.

We have other IRV2 members pulling large trailers with a Roadmaster RR10S chassis coach: Ron has an 08 Holiday Rambler Navigator; and Don Higgens has an 08 Signature. Both pull large race car trailers, although I doubt their trailers are 18,000 pounds.
Ron's Cummins ISX 650 engine came apart when the #6 intake valve broke and he rebuilt the engine himself. Don, and many others have had the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system removed.

The EGR system is the root of the engine issues as it recirculates exhaust gas with acids into the engine. These acids slowly eat away at the intake valve until it fails. Lots of specualtion, but we are not sure why it's usually the #6 intake valve.

There is a new Cummins ISX cylinder head and valve system available that adds valves and seats that are more resistant to the acids. It will cost about $25k to retrofit an engine as long as it's done before it fails.

I own a Signature with a 525 ISX now, but would not hesitate to purchase a Signature with a 600 ISX. I may be slightly shy on purchasing a 650hp ISX coach as they have had the majority of the issues.

We used to own an 07 Monaco Executive with a full wall slide. The Monaco Executive and Holiday Rambler Navigator are very simliar to the Signature and built on the same chassis. You will hear horror stories about full wall slides, but most are hearsay. We did not have any issues with our full wall slide except that it was a very heavy coach. Most new diesel coaches now come with full wall slides, so Monaco was way ahead of the competition in 2007. Again there is lots of speculation, but Monaco only built the full wall slides in 2007.

My wife personally does not like the 2007 Signature Nobile III floor plan as the kitchen counter is very short with narrow kitchen drawers. She also does not like the walk through 1/2 bathroom. I think it's great but she out voted me. Again, you are starting with a very heavy coach, so watch your combined gross weight.

If you have not already purchased your stacker trailer, you should consider a Goldrush all aluminum trailer. You will save at least 5000# over most of the steel frame trailers and put you back closer to the safe zone.

I hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #14

Do yo have any idea of the frequency of occurrence of this headvalve problem with the Cummins engine. In other words, what percentage of of these engines are encountering this serious failure I.e.5%....10%...25% 50%.

Tags
monaco, advice