Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi All,
I found that my right sideview mirror mount is loose from the body of the motorhome.
I can not get to the bolts to tighten it up because of the cover over them. I need to take the mirror and arm off of the mounting pedestal in order to get the cover off of the mount to get to the bolts. I cant get to the bolts from behind the motorhome's wall as it is covered with fiberglass.

There is a bolt that connects the mirror's arm to the pedestal that I took out. Unfortunately I can not get the arm off of the pedestal. I have to do this in order to get the pedestal's cover off to get to the bolts to tighten them.

I think I have to pry the arm off the pedestal after the bolt is out. Does it have splines? I don't want to break anything and want to make sure that this is what you have to do before trying it. Is this a correct assumption and has anyone done this before?

Thank-you for any information.

AKBrick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi All,
I found that my right sideview mirror mount is loose from the body of the motorhome.
I can not get to the bolts to tighten it up because of the cover over them. I need to take the mirror and arm off of the mounting pedestal in order to get the cover off of the mount to get to the bolts. I cant get to the bolts from behind the motorhome's wall as it is covered with fiberglass.

There is a bolt that connects the mirror's arm to the pedestal that I took out. Unfortunately I can not get the arm off of the pedestal. I have to do this in order to get the pedestal's cover off to get to the bolts to tighten them.

I think I have to pry the arm off the pedestal after the bolt is out. Does it have splines? I don't want to break anything and want to make sure that this is what you have to do before trying it. Is this a correct assumption and has anyone done this before?

Thank-you for any information.

AKBrick
Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
AH HAA!
I figured it out. I just needed a little dose of miracle spray; WD-40. The arm did not have any splines, in fact, it is about 2 1/2 inches around and hollow and made of 1/8 inch metal (probably pot metal). After spraying around the arm where it attatches to the mounting pedestal and un-bolting the arm bolt, I gave it a little jerk. By the way, the instructions show that this is what you do to adjust the mirror arm for a better view except that you don't take the bolt out, just loosen it. Anywaaay, the arm and mirror popped off in my hand and I had to just hold it there because of the electric heater and mirror control wires. I quickly knocked on the side of the motorhome for CheetahGirl to come and save me. Once she had the mirror in her hands and holding it away from the motorhome's paint-job, I was able to tighten the four large phillips-head screws underneath the pedestal cover that came off. A piece of cake once I found out how to do it.
I just put everything back on the way it came off. I had to....everything was still connected by the wires like a necklace.

I just saved ourselves another trip to the shop.

Cheers,

AKBrick
Old 09-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hey AK,
Just where are your mirrors mounted?? Ours are in line with the windshield wipers. Did you figure out what those screws go into?? Is there any backing or just fiberglass?? What is going to keep them from loosening again in a month??
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Sacs,
Ours are in line with the windshield wipers also. It turns out that I'm all wet when it comes to a "bracket" being mounted into the fiberglass. There is an indentation for the mounting pedestal to fit in. Behind that indentation is a 3/4 inch piece of plywood that is fiberglassed to the back of the front body panel. There is fiberglass all around it to keep it sturdy. It is an integral piece of the front body panel. I just tightened the screws and did not take them out to see what they were screwed into, but I believe that there are threaded inserts that are imbedded into the plywood that the phillips headed screw/bolts are screwed into. I was able to tighten the screws pretty darn tight without stripping anything.

I hope this clears things up a bit. I was able to check behind the front panel by opening up the generator panel and the backing was clearly visable. Now that I'm not freaked out about another problem, I was able to go back and carefully and slowly inspect the area. This of course was after the project was long finished and you asked me that question. I'm glad that you did because the last thing that I want to do is to stear someone wrong.

BTW, we are now in Pahrump, NV. at a membership park that is behind a winery. This is a pretty nice place with LOTS of sun and mountain vistas.
Not bad for fourteen bucks for two weeks!

A tip of the ole vino to ya,

AKBrick
Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
loose side mirrors

Thank you AK!
We are new to irv2. We are on the road and the mirrors were really bouncing. we settled into a park and tried to tighten them. It is Columbus Day weekend and Ramco is closed so no tech advice. And not too much in Twin Falls, ID for r.v. repairs such as this. I went to your post and we got out the WD-40 and fixed them fine. In our 05 HR the screws are sheet metal screws and not machine screws. So we applied some expoy to the threads. That should hold until we get home and can do a proper rebuild (bolts, nuts and lock screws with loc-tite applied). Thank you again; this site is very helpful.
rambler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same problem right after we bought our motorhome. Spent $50 at Campers World to have them tighten the first one. When the second one loosened I fixed it myself. I also used epoxy on the screws to keep them from coming loose. Hasn't come loose since and that was almost a year ago.

The screws just go into wood, no inserts of any kind.
losttj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi rambler05
I'm very glad that my post was helpful to you. I just now saw your reply. It just goes to show you how this website works. Happy travels and post often.

Tom Brickwell
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #9

i have had to take the mirrors off due to some moisture coming thru the screw holes. now the mirrors wont tighten back up. any suggestions on how to get them to tighten up since it appears that the wood backing plate may be reemed out.
rbedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
On my rig the I drilled through to the inside of the generator compartment and used bolts and nuts with big fender washers on the inside vs the original screws. Holds much better. No more vibrating mirrors. There are several threads giving more details on this fix on this forum. Hope this helps. Good luck with your issue.
Retd_ontheRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need the manual for the mirrors (Yes Rear View Mirrors sometimes come with manuals)

On my mirrors for example there is a pry off cap on the bottom of the bracket that mounts the mirrors to the body,,, Under that cap is a nut that has to be removed to pull the arm out of the bracket.