Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Loose wire by propane tank - advice?

We have an '05 Diplomat. After a recent trip, I'm doing some minor fix-ups, when I notice this wire (and connector) hanging down (see picture).
As I look at this, there is actually two wires, the one in the picture and another one with a different connector on it. Both wires are in the long flexible conduit and are hanging down from between the frame rails. Normally, not a big deal: you find the disconnected ends and connect everything back together (with a zip tie or two to make sure it doesn't come apart again). However, there's a big problem here: the propane tank is in the way.

It appears that wherever these wires terminate, it's in one of the big ganglia of conduits that are between the frame rails above the propane tank. It looks like I'm going to have to unbolt and move the propane tank outboard at least two feet to get up to where the wires appear to originate/terminate.

Any advice for pulling out the tank? It appears fairly straight-forward but before I get in there, just wanted to find out if the collective wisdom has any advice....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loose_wire.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	52882  
Doctor Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Has anything quit working? Monaco stubbed off a lot of wires that were for other options that coach may not have come with. Have you ever tried to take one of those plugs apart? I find it hard to believe that one came undone. If everything is till working, they may have always been unplugged and have just fallen.

Slide your arm in there with a flat camera or phone and snap a picture if you can. You might see an answer to your wires and where they go.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Is there something that does not work? Our motorhomes are filled with unused connectors for options not included. I doubt the two connectors were ever connected unless the tank has been removed previously.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Are they live? Check them out with a VOM.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Pull the white wires out of the casing to see what is printed on them.

I don't know what year Monaco started printing the circuit on the wires, but my coach built in May '07 has each wire labeled. My previous '99 Monaco had colored wires, as opposed to the current all white wires with labels on them.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Thanks all. I'll check the wires - I looked at them fairly closely and they didn't have any printing on them (just a couple of red wires and two whites). The only reason I'm suspicious is that on our most recent trip, our ABS/ATC was acting flakey (randomly, the ABS light would come on, or the ATC light wouldn't turn off). I can't get my arms or hands into that area to push a camera in or anything - so I'm going to rent a borescope to get up in that area and look around before I pull the tank. I'm really not excited about pulling the propane tank....

Thanks and I'll keep everyone updated...

Happy New Year!

Tim
Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That MOLEX connector is used for lots of things on motor homes, Fairly common connector you likely have between 2 dozen and a hundred of them.

Now the mixed news:: It is not in the least uncommon for there to be extra wires in a motor home wiring harness.. You may have wires there for a tank heater option (Water tanks) or for a detector controlled propane cut off or .. Well lots and lots of things.. and if you do not have that option the wires just hang there.

Or it might be important.

I am fairly sure, however, it is not the ABS/ATC system.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #8

Hi all: Okay - just an update. I checked the wires and the ones in the molex connector were hot (12 volts). The single white wire wasn't (not surprised there). After checking all over town regarding renting a borescope / remote camera, found out that it was much cheaper to buy one from Harbor Freight (Digital Inspection Camera - part 67979 - $69. on blowout sale, normally $89).

After laying under the coach for a good hour working the scope through all the crevices and around all the wires, I did not see any obvious (or even un-obvious) areas where the wires had disconnected from. Thus, I'm left to conclude that as suggested, these were extra wires that were attached to one of the bundles and just came loose. I taped them up (to keep water out of them) and zip tied them to a couple of bundles above the propane tank.

You never know - that 12V wire may come in handy some day!

Thanks for all the help,

Tim

Tags
advice, propane, tank