Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 12:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Loosing air pressure only when engine is running

I took my coach out today to fuel up and noticed my air pressure drops constantly when the engine is running. When I shut down it holds solid. Any idea what takes or requires so much air only when running ??
Or what could be leaking, it is going to be hard to listen for a air leak under the coach when running the engine.
Thanks for any input or ideas

TC
tc914-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Parking brake off, or on?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Hmmm may be a combination of several things..
The check valve at the wet tank (this is the tank that the air from the compressor goes to)(rare thing to happen normally see a failed check valve due to desiccant contamination caused by the air dryer not being serviced in a timely manner) Causes the tank air to back flow out of tank and back to the dryer. (under $20 to replace)

D-2 air governor bleeding back (under $50)

Air dryer needs service)
cracked fitting or line from the air dryer to wet tank
cracked or split line or fitting from the air compressor to air dryer.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like the inversion valve. With the coach parked build air pressure up chock wheels realese the park brake and listen for a leak by left back dual if leaking there its probaly the inversion valve.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This is really strange.

I assume, from your description, your gauges only drop to zero when engine is at an idle, and you can build up normal air pressure with engine running at a higher rpm.

With the engine running (compressor pumping) the air supply must be able to overcome any small to mid-size leaks otherwise you could not build any pressure. And if the leak is large enough that your gauges are dropping while the compressor is pumping (at idle speed) you must have a pretty large leak. So I would think you could build up air pressure, then shut off the engine, and get to back of coach fast enough to hear the leak (it must be a pretty big/loud leak).

The only difference between air system operation with engine off and the engine running is the "supply circuit" of the air system. Past the wet tank (supply reservoir) the air system would function the same whether engine is running or not.

So the problem must be in the Compressor, Air Dryer, Governor, or connecting hoses.

I would bet you will find the leak in the discharge hose from compressor to dryer - and you have a leaking check valve at the Dryer.

EDIT - thinking about this more, if your dash gauges are dropping then you're losing air out of the "primary" and "secondary" air tanks too. Those have check valves to prevent air lose out the direction of the supply circuit. Sop either those are leaking too, or there is some other information missing from your description.
Are you releasing the parking brake or stepping on brake valve or doing anything else while the air is dropping?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	212499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	212500  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Parking brake off, or on?

Wideglide Is on to something here, Please answer the question?

After reading the post again it sounds like you DO have a brake can diaphragm leaking when the brakes are released.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #7

If he is seeing the pressure drop, he is either releasing the parking brake and has a leak in that system or has some air powered accessories, that are actavated with the key. Air powered step, door seal or anything like that.

There is a turbo control air valve modulator that could leak, while the engine is running, but its for ISX and ISM engines.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2018-07-26-13-57-28.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	212507
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Thinking this over...The air leak has to be "down river" from the front or rear air tank, otherwise the air pressure gauges would not register the air loss...due to the check valves at each tank.......
There is not a gauge for the wet tank, just the front and rear tanks..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Parking brake is off, this happens while driving.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi guys thanks for all the replies, here is more info. My coach is powered with the Cummins 400 ISL, the compressor pumps fine, while driving down the road no brakes being pressed I see my dash gauge ( both needles) slowly drop to under 90-100 psi, compressor kicks as required, pumps up to 130 and I hear the drier “blow off”, compressor shuts off. Gauge slowly starts dropping ant the process repeats its self. All within 2-3 min. In the refrigeration trade we call this “short cycling” not a normal function. I reciently acquired this coach and performed all th maintenance my self, I did replace the drier cartridge and do not remember this happening even after replacing the cartridge. Seems like it just started.
I will check the dump solenoids and the previously mentioned inversion valve (just have to find it )
I do not have air powered step cover or doors, I do have air powered exhaust brake, PAC style.
Thanks again for all the replies and input ������
Old 07-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
One quick test. With air pressure at full, shut off engine. You said air pressure does not drop.

Now release the parking brake - (air pressure will drop some but should remain steady). Does air continue to drop?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The driving down the road comment makes me think he may have a leak in one of his air bag ride height valves. Does the air leak down with the coach running and stationary or only when going down the road. Find a nice level spot, and release the parking brake and see if it still runs down without moving or pressing on the brakes.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc914-8 View Post
Hi guys thanks for all the replies, here is more info. My coach is powered with the Cummins 400 ISL, the compressor pumps fine, while driving down the road no brakes being pressed I see my dash gauge ( both needles) slowly drop to under 90-100 psi, compressor kicks as required, pumps up to 130 and I hear the drier “blow off”, compressor shuts off. Gauge slowly starts dropping ant the process repeats its self. All within 2-3 min. In the refrigeration trade we call this “short cycling” not a normal function. I reciently acquired this coach and performed all th maintenance my self, I did replace the drier cartridge and do not remember this happening even after replacing the cartridge. Seems like it just started.
I will check the dump solenoids and the previously mentioned inversion valve (just have to find it )
I do not have air powered step cover or doors, I do have air powered exhaust brake, PAC style.
Thanks again for all the replies and input ������
Did you do the check i sugested above if you did you should be able to here the leak.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Walt, I just finished work, I’ll go check the options now, where do I find the inversion valve ??

Tags
air, engine