RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #15

Well, now I'm even more confused. I checked the pin again today and it only shows 3.7 volts !!!!!!! The test light doesn't even show up at all. I'm going to wiggle all of the wires to see if there is any change !!! This is sooooooo crazy. Called the local guy today and he said it would cost $130.00 per hour ( ouch !!!!!! ) going to be my last resort to do that so I'll keep trying till I have no other options.
postalm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #16
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do NOT use a test light based on where you are taking measurements. Without a pictures I'm shooting in the dark but your test light may be loading down the voltage.

You difference in voltage tells me something is resistive along the path and not delivering proper voltage with current.

A digital voltmeter can absolutely fool you. If you don't believe me, connect your negative probe to your battery. Grab the positive probe of the meter and with your other hand touch the positive post. You will meaasure various levels of voltage.

That voltage/current is not enough to run anything but will fool you into thinking you are measuring correct voltage.

Since you already probed with the test light, put your meter on that same place and see what you have. At the same time while measuring that spot put your test light on the same spot. IF the voltage drops down even more as you connect the probe this means the path to that line is resistive.

This means the problem is back towards that wires source.

Writing down voltage measurements as you go really helps when they are seemingly changing on you.

I hope that tech has some source of documentation or experience on something like this.

So today you are getting around 3 volts. Could be the dash is trying to come alive and sinking that weak supply line. Or that the supply line is just broken and that is all it can deliver. In any case, I bet a test light would take that voltage to 0.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometime you need to revert, still have my old Simpson 260. 20K Ohm/Volt was just enough load to prevent false readings across high impedance paths.

A 240K ohm load resistor across a digital meters inputs may be just what you need.

Good Luck in your troubleshooting.

Along time ago my gages did strange thing, I add a new ground wire from the cluster to the dash frame. Happy Camper now.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #18

My new fluke at work has low impedance setting as well as non contact voltage sensor at the top of meter.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can only imagine all the changes in the I&C world since I retired, 20 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Flux_Test_Facility

What model Fluke?
Old 05-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #20

Lost Gauges

OK, first of all I need to thank each and everyone of you who offered your time and advise trying to solve my lost gauge problem. Now for the ending resolution to my saga.

For those of you who said it was a ground problem well you were 100 percent correct. It did turn out to be a ground that was located in the battery compartment. It was a small wire that comes off a solenoid in the battery compartment. The wire had pulled away from the connector it was clamped to, not detectable by eye and when checked with at ohm meter at connection point showed a good ground connection.

Now how did I find this ???? Well honestly I can't take credit for it , I ended up biting the bullet and taking it to a shop. It's amazing what a fresh set of eyes and attitude will do in a situation like this !!!! The kid had it narrowed down in a couple of hours. Although in all fairness to us all. I did take him through all my voltage measurements and troubleshooting and physically pointed out all things that were suggested.

Anyway, You have all been great and I really appreciate every ones help and time. This is a fantastic group and maybe one day I'll be able to meet some of the great people. Thanks again !!!!!
postalm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #21

And thank YOU for posting the Happy Ending to your gauge problem!

Too often, once a problem is fixed the OP (original poster) just drives off into the sunset and the forum doesn't know if our troubleshooting hints helped, if our advice was good or bad, etc.

Safe travels and good luck in your journeys.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:12 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the come back.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #23

Not sure this is related to your gauge issue, but I just lost all my gauges on my 2001 Diplomat 40PDQ while on my way into Williams, AZ. After digging around first in the drivers side fuse panel, I found a DASH label on a 10A fuse. Checked it and it was blown. Changed it and it blew again right away. Obviously a short. The coach ran fine, so I decided to continue my trip until I got to my destination where I could dig some more. Turns out with no dash gauges, I also wasn't charging my chassis batteries, so after a couple of hundred miles, I started getting odd shift patterns until the coach finally said, your done and I had to pull over. Batteries were 11.1 volts and that's with the generator running.
Well, this forced my hand and I had to let the batteries charge for a while which gave me time to search. Well, to make a long story a little shorter, I found a ground wire on my transmission temperature gauge had fallen off and shorted against the positive feed line to the gauge. Corrected that issue, replaced the DASH fuse in the panel, started the coach (with help from the AUX/Battery) and all the gauges jumped into action. I preceded to check the chassis batteries and they were now up to 13.1 volts. We buttoned everything up and hit the road with no further interruptions...
sdejong491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #24
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum:

In my 50 yrs of electronic troubleshooting I have always said to "fix the obvious first". That is, you found a rather simple problem and repairing that solved many other weird symptoms.

Your generator should have been charging both banks of batteries (I do not know your rv of course). But with that simple fuse blowing that circuit obviously controlled many other items.

It is hard to get to intimately know a complex rv often with poor or no documentation. An owners manual is a must but getting wiring diagrams and plumbing diagrams is so incredibly helpful.

I have hundreds of files for mine and even today built a video to save and share. These things become a hobby. Run them one hour and work on them for ten. Just like an airplane or helicopter.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, gauges