RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #1

Lost Horsepower

I have a 1999 Windsor with a Cummins 330 ISC. I recently got a Scan Gauge and on our first trip I noticed the max Horsepower I could get was about 230. The max boost at full power is 20 lbs. Is this a problem with the Scan Gauge or did I loose 100 horses someplace. I looked at the turbo and everything looks normal, but there's not much to see from the outside. I don't feel live I've lost power, but it could have been like this since I got it.

traveler999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Having used several OBD2 scanning tools myself, keep in mind that these readings are not true Engine Dynamometers that mechanically measure BHP output.
They approximate output based on electrical sensors such as MAF, RPM, fuel flow etc. and through algorithms they give a snapshot of the profile that has been entered. Did the software you're using have you create a profile using accurate perimeters of that engine, & drivetrain, vehicle weight, etc.?
Also note that max HP ratings are generally measured at or near max RPM of said engine at the crankshaft. By contrast the peak torque (which is ideally what you're wanting to utilize with your ISC) is a much lower RPM. Were you pulling a grade at/near max. RPM?
In reality there are probably a number of reasons your seasoned engine might not appear to be producing it's once rated HP, some of which can be pure engineering theory.
The scan tools are often most useful in "trending" parameters and fault codes than their absolute estimated values.
Just my spin, enjoy your coach.

Happy motoring.

J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler999 View Post
I have a 1999 Windsor with a Cummins 330 ISC. I recently got a Scan Gauge and on our first trip I noticed the max Horsepower I could get was about 230. The max boost at full power is 20 lbs. Is this a problem with the Scan Gauge or did I loose 100 horses someplace. I looked at the turbo and everything looks normal, but there's not much to see from the outside. I don't feel live I've lost power, but it could have been like this since I got it.
Your boost pressure is low........did you get this boost reading on a high rpm/hard pull? check all your connections for fit and tightness. Then if all seems good, you are going to have to do a pressure test on the Charge Air Cooler, they can develop leaks also.....
Old 07-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

Thanks for all of your inputs. I guess I should have asked, is 20 Pounds of boost normal. I might start a new thread with that as the Title. The max that I get is 20 at about 2000 RPM.
traveler999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler999 View Post
Thanks for all of your inputs. I guess I should have asked, is 20 Pounds of boost normal. I might start a new thread with that as the Title. The max that I get is 20 at about 2000 RPM.
Read through this thread. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isc-...on-119641.html. If everything on the compressor side has checked out OK....... Take a look at the turbo wastegate and try to make sure it is not stuck open a bit.....