Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

Lost Ignition Keys

Inside my RV. Can not find keys anywhere. Looked around campsite. No luck .
Best alternative ?
How do I even find key code to call a lick smith to make me a new one ?
Called closest Chevy dealer, but was told parts depot is closed .
Any help would be great .
Trick or Treat ! I feel like I got Tricked !
ursnscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 12:40 PM   #2

Can you add all your coach info to your post .

Please fill out the " About Me " section and set up a " Signature Line"

Right now members are guessing that you have a Monaco coach and perhaps a Chevy style ignition key, with the ignition switch in the dash .
Old 10-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #3

My coach is a LaPalma Monoco 2003 (gas)
ursnscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

Checked at the office for " Lost & Found " ?
Locked the keys in your toad ?

Your 2003 coach is probably on a Workhorse chassis , so Chevy won't be able to provide key codes , they may have provided parts to Workhorse , but have no idea on which chassis they were installed.

If the ignition lock is on the side of the steering column , you may require a locksmith and perhaps a mobile mechanic too.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If your Coach has the same ignition switch that many Monaco and Beavers used - it is a 1970 Chevy pickup (Delco D1406A), you can easily reach under the dash and unplug the electrical connector.

Then jump from the BAT terminal to the IGN terminal to get power to everything, and jumper (momentarily) from BAT to SOL (Starter solenoid) term to start engine. These Coaches don't have a steering column lock, so once the engine is running your on your way.

Since you lost the key, you will need to buy a new Ignition Lock cylinder (with key) too (Delco D1499A). But you cant get the old Ignition switch out of the dash opening without the removing the lock Cylinder first - and the Cylinder wont come out without the key (so you'll have to drill it out).

Of course, I'm assuming your Coach is like mine and most other older Monacos, but you didn't say what you have so this post is my best guess.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ignition Keyswitch Schematic.pdf (602.4 KB, 26 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Or if it's on the steering column.get a large screw driver and a heavy hammer, the place the screw driver at the ignition where the key should go in and strike it with the hammer quite hard until you can turn the ignition until the MH starts.

You'll need to replace the ignition switch, but at least you can drive it home.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:06 PM   #7

Once you get ignition key problem you need to get a hide a key box and locate it where you can access it, I have a door key, ignition key hid away just for this type of problem. Good luck with finding your keys.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition