Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lost interior 12 volt power 2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter

After boondocking in our coach for several months we suddenly lost all interior 12-volt power. The RV was parked at the time, had not been moved in several weeks, and has not been moved since (we are in a campground).

I checked the fuse panel in the back bedroom with a multimeter and it has no power coming in from the # 8 gauge wire. This wire drops down into the wall and I assume it goes to the exterior battery bay which is directly below. I checked everything in the battery bay and all terminals have the proper 12 volts.

Is there some sort of junction box under the RV? Or possibly in the wall? I was able to use regular automotive jumper cables to temporarily get power to the interior 12 volt fuse panel and everything works as it should.
L.R.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #2

There's probably a number of possible causes but I had the same thing happen last summer.
It turned out the house battery cutoff switch packed it in suddenly and opened the circuit. It was an easy fix.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #3

Between the battery and the fuse box is a Battery Disconnect that seems to be turned off or has malfunctioned.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The salesman/disconnect switch by the front door activates a relay in the back run box. Fairly common for it to fail and you can jumper it as most rarely use the disconnect function.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

An 8 guage wire will have a fuse or breaker, and possable a disconnect near the source of power. The source is the battery.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Between the battery and the fuse box is a Battery Disconnect that seems to be turned off or has malfunctioned.
I've checked every + positive terminal in the battery bay and they all have 12 volts where they should, including downstream of the battery disconnect switch.

This is a picture of the battery bay. The white arrow is pointing to what I can only guess is the 12-volt feed going into the coach for all 12-volt power. The #8 wire coming off the + lug goes out of the battery bay but I haven't traced it any further.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of junction box where this wire goes with a terminal that may have come loose? I will have to start the coach and air up the system so I can crawl underneath and see if I can trace the wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160625_193306 - Copy.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	317435  
Old 02-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
The salesman/disconnect switch by the front door activates a relay in the back run box. Fairly common for it to fail and you can jumper it as most rarely use the disconnect function.
I have owned this coach for 6 years and am not familiar with any sort of salesman/disconnect switch near the front door?
Old 02-08-2021, 12:29 AM   #8

Did you check your breakers on the inverter?
Endeavor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor40 View Post
Did you check your breakers on the inverter?
The inverter is working fine. The RV has 120-watt power at all outlets.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.R.S. View Post
I have owned this coach for 6 years and am not familiar with any sort of salesman/disconnect switch near the front door?
It is there for sure. Just a small rocker switch that controls a relay like a starter solenoid. It is used to disconnect the batteries during storage.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:46 AM   #11

Quote:
It is there for sure. Just a small rocker switch that controls a relay like a starter solenoid. It is used to disconnect the batteries during storage.
I'm back at home until this coming Friday then return to the campground for 4 days over President's Day weekend. I'll look for the switch. Really hope it's something that simple.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:

I had a problem with all the interior lights operating intermittently from the battery cut-off switch. I got a new switch and still intermittent.

Then traced it to a bad relay in the driver side front electrical bay that the switch controls. Once I replaced the relay, it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery cut-off switch and relay 2.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	317468  
Old 02-09-2021, 03:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.R.S. View Post
The inverter is working fine. The RV has 120-watt power at all outlets.
That would be 120 VOLT power.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:57 AM   #14
YC1

These may not match your unit but are posted for reference. I highly suspect there is a simple switch near the door that has been bumped or some situation caused the "house relay" to disengage. Or in many cases they just give up the ghost.

The "house relay" (many hate salesman switch/relay connotation), may be in a compartment below the driver in an outside compartment. I'm sure someone here has a more detailed layout than me.

The concept has not changed as far as I can tell for a long long run of these snow flakes.

The "house relay" is often simply bypassed to eliminate accidental disengagement. With it off in mine the air conditioners do not work as well as many other items and leaving it with a fur baby inside is worrysome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	electrical panel.png
Views:	155
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	317589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical panel 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	317590  

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags