Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Lost Serpentine/Alternator Belt!

I'm camped at Silver Lakes near Marco Island in SW Fl and ran the diesel as part of monthly maintenance. As fate would have it, the diesel threw her belt. My coach is a 2007 Knight 40dft with an 8.3 liter ISC. I have 3 questions:
1). Is Cummins 3972375 the correct part number for the belt?
2) Can this be replaced on site or will I have to have the unit towed?
3) How many belts does this engine have? I can't see the front of the motor to tell.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

The belt is real easy to put on if you have a long ratchet or a flex bar and the right size socket. It only take a couple of minutes unless you have another belt in the way and then it will take a little bit longer.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #3

It's always a good idea to carry spare belts and you should be able to pickup a new
belt at any truck shop. Do you have a rear rad, if you do it's a little harder to get at
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 07 40pdq and have changed the belt. It is not a real hard job but not easy neither. I did mine from underneath the MH. you need a long 1/2 inch breaker bar to take the tension off the idle pulley. and it helps if you have some one on top routing the belt. There is only one belt. I used a Dayco part #5080840
Old 02-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

You may want to reach in and give the alternator and idle pulley a spin. Make sure they spin easy and smooth.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You may want to reach in and give the alternator and idle pulley a spin. Make sure they spin easy and smooth.
X2 on what Twinboat says, check to make sure the pulleys are free, the idler pulley and water pump should spin freely.

I believe you have a rear radiator which makes the job much more difficult but if someone knows what they are doing the belt can be changed where you are at.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
As someone who has gone through 4 belts on my ISL, you have a few issues to deal with:

1. Call Freightliner with your VIN so they can give you the exact part number for the Cummins belt they put on. As Cummins sells them a raw motor and Freightliner puts on the accessories, only Freightliner will have this info.
2. While you have them on the phone, have them email you the belt routing. When you look at the engine from underneath or the side, it's not at all intuitive as to where the belt goes. The diagram they email will help you out.
3. As stated earlier, you have to make sure your pulleys are free - AC, alternator, idler, tensioner - if one is seized, that's the cause of your belt going.
4. I've found the breaker bar or ratchet will work in a pinch but not so well when the engine is hot unless you like tattoo burns on your arm. NAPA sells a nice belt tool that has a long reach and is jointed to get around some obstructions.
5. If your AC compressor is seized, you can figure out, through trial and error, a bypass belt that will get you home in an emergency without having to replace the AC compressor on the road.

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
RVThere -- He does not have a Freightliner chassis -- He has a Roadmaster Chassis made by the old Monaco --

Stan & Jacquie -- We have a 07 Camelot, & the owners manual list of installed belts are wrong -- Our coach has the side radiator, so finding the correct belt wasn`t that hard, but with a rear radiator will be another story - Good Luck -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The old belt should have had a number on it--any auto parts store should be able to find a replacement, I just replaced my Dynasty's belt--look in the Cummins section for the thread.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #10

Napa in Naples will have the belt, if you need a mechanic call Certified Diesel in Naples, they do RV,S have used them to do service on my Coach.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborc View Post
I have a 07 40pdq and have changed the belt. It is not a real hard job but not easy neither. I did mine from underneath the MH. you need a long 1/2 inch breaker bar to take the tension off the idle pulley. and it helps if you have some one on top routing the belt. There is only one belt. I used a Dayco part #5080840

Bborc, only one belt? I thought there was a second for the AC compressor? And your engine is an ISC 330, correct?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
RVThere -- He does not have a Freightliner chassis -- He has a Roadmaster Chassis made by the old Monaco --

Stan & Jacquie -- We have a 07 Camelot, & the owners manual list of installed belts are wrong -- Our coach has the side radiator, so finding the correct belt wasn`t that hard, but with a rear radiator will be another story - Good Luck -- Bill Willard

William...thanks for your he correction. I can't find an engine serial number so I am hoping the owners manual is correct. The number in my post#1 cross references to the Dayco part bborc
used above.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ok guys.... Finally came up with the engine serial number and also found the correct belt on the quick.serve site.

Now my only problem is the proper routing. If anyone can help me with that I'll be good to go.

As always, you're the best! Many thanks.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Ok guys.... Finally came up with the engine serial number and also found the correct belt on the quick.serve site.

Now my only problem is the proper routing. If anyone can help me with that I'll be good to go.

As always, you're the best! Many thanks.
Stan, not sure if yours is the same as mine, but my owners manual has the proper routing sequence listed in it.
Might be worth a shot if you can't find any other diagram.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator