Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Lota Transfer Switch

I've read on here about folks having problems and being a recall on the Iota transfer switch. I did a search on here and read a ton of threads but never found which ones were recalled. Maybe it was all of them. Mine was made mid 2006 and installed by Monaco in my 07 Neptune that I bought new. I've checked and retightened mine several times and always looks brand new inside. Never any darkening of connectors.

I'm fixing to install a power cord reel in my electrical compartment and if I should change out the Iota it would be much easier now than after the Glendinning power cord reel is installed.

I saw where many were using the Esco brand. Has anyone replaced their Iota with an Esco and how it matched up with the Iota as far as where wires enter and exit. I also have a Progressive surge protector that is stuffed in there as well.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This may help:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=11V577

Mine has not given me a moment's problem.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My 2002 Windsor has the LPT50BRD, here is a source but it pays to check around as you might get a better price.

LPT50BRD [LPT50BRD] - $159.95 : RV Power Parts Plus, Discount store for all your RV & Marine Electrical needs. Featuring the most trusted Manufacturers in the industry: Iota DLS Converters, Transfer Switches, Magnum Energy Inverters, Parallax Power C

Interesting in that I have the original parts page for my transfer switch from Monaco and they stopped installing the Iota in Sep 2001 and started using the Lyght.

I've not had a problem with mine, I installed the Progressive Surge Protector about 2 yeas ago so while the transfer switch cover was off I checked all the connections.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #4

The company IOTA disappeared so no help from them , but Monaco and
others did recall / replace them at one time but not now .
IOTA was blamed for causing fires so many like me replaced them even though
they still seemed fine
I just felt like it was worth doing since the recall was because of a fire issue .
I replaced my IOTA when installing my Progressive
My coach is an 03 Windsor PST which puts my transfer sw on the pass side
across the coach from my power reel which may make mine easier to access .
Seems like I recall having to tug some wires a little to rearrange them
for the Esco sw but no actual new wires in my case .

I believe the Lyght and Esco are the same switch .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I do value everyone's opinion. I didn't realize a new transfer switch would only be about $160. I just figured they were more than that as I'd never really researched them.

Even though ive not had any problems with the Iota, i feel like I might just go ahead and change it out since I'm already messing with the wiring for the power cord reel. Im not usually one for taking any kind of risk. I guess its like swapping out for a residential refrigerator before the Norcold takes a dump. Ive already made the swap to residential because of the risk. It will also be much easier to work in the compartment before the cord reel is installed.

Looks like the inlets and outlets for the Esco are somewhat similar to the Iota. Hopefully it will not be too bad. To me it's not worth the risk for that amount of money. Thanks again all.

Chad
Old 01-03-2017, 12:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a picture of a bad one. The under size wire and the small lugs made heat and the plastic melted and you can see the results.

I replaced it with this a direct replacement. WFCO T57 50 Amp Transfer Switch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
New on the left and old on the right

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to bridluz
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Thanks guys. I do value everyone's opinion. I didn't realize a new transfer switch would only be about $160. I just figured they were more than that as I'd never really researched them.

Even though ive not had any problems with the Iota, i feel like I might just go ahead and change it out since I'm already messing with the wiring for the power cord reel. Im not usually one for taking any kind of risk. I guess its like swapping out for a residential refrigerator before the Norcold takes a dump. Ive already made the swap to residential because of the risk. It will also be much easier to work in the compartment before the cord reel is installed.

Looks like the inlets and outlets for the Esco are somewhat similar to the Iota. Hopefully it will not be too bad. To me it's not worth the risk for that amount of money. Thanks again all.

Chad
My 05 Monaco's original switch worked great....until it didn't 1,500 miles from home and was temporarily left with out power on our way back home in the middle of summer with no AC. After a little research I found the manual way to switch it over so the trip turned out fine.
But, my point is...it works fine until it doesn't. For a low expense I would certainly switch to the newer Esco.
Good luck!
bridluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My 2002 Windsor has the LPT50BRD, here is a source but it pays to check around as you might get a better price.

LPT50BRD [LPT50BRD] - $159.95 : RV Power Parts Plus, Discount store for all your RV & Marine Electrical needs. Featuring the most trusted Manufacturers in the industry: Iota DLS Converters, Transfer Switches, Magnum Energy Inverters, Parallax Power C

Interesting in that I have the original parts page for my transfer switch from Monaco and they stopped installing the Iota in Sep 2001 and started using the Lyght.

I've not had a problem with mine, I installed the Progressive Surge Protector about 2 yeas ago so while the transfer switch cover was off I checked all the connections.
Jim, where is your located in the coach? I plan on calling REV today to see what ours was built with. The coach was completed in July 2001.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #9

The Lyght product has worked well for me as a replacement for the OEM switch in my 03 Alpine. Which ever switch you decide on, make sure it has DC current-based contactors. They "hum" less than the AC-based unit, both when new and overtime......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridluz View Post
My 05 Monaco's original switch worked great....until it didn't 1,500 miles from home and was temporarily left with out power on our way back home in the middle of summer with no AC. After a little research I found the manual way to switch it over so the trip turned out fine.
But, my point is...it works fine until it doesn't. For a low expense I would certainly switch to the newer Esco.
Good luck!
Exactly why I've decided to change mine. If it was much more expensive, maybe I would feel different. I get so few chances to get away and travel, I don't want a $150 part messing it up.

Chad
Old 01-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
Jim, where is your located in the coach? I plan on calling REV today to see what ours was built with. The coach was completed in July 2001.

Mine is located in the small compartment the contains the transfer switch, water heater, and water pump. I have to access it through the larger compartment through a set of sliding plexiglass doors.

When I installed my Progressive Surge Protector I had to contort my body to access the compartment. I had to move the transfer switch over ~4-5" to provide room to mount the surge protector. Wasn't too bad and it gave me a chance to take a good look at the transfer switch and inspect.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Mine is located in the small compartment the contains the transfer switch, water heater, and water pump. I have to access it through the larger compartment through a set of sliding plexiglass doors.

When I installed my Progressive Surge Protector I had to contort my body to access the compartment. I had to move the transfer switch over ~4-5" to provide room to mount the surge protector. Wasn't too bad and it gave me a chance to take a good look at the transfer switch and inspect.
Wow Jim, they really stuck your switch in a hole. Mines in the electrical compartment where the power cord is. I thought that's where they all were.

Chad
Old 01-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #13

Thanks, I went hunting last night and its in the bay next to the electrical, on the wall next to the inverter/charger (inverter hanging on the ceiling), which is a pass through storage bay
looks like something has bounced off of it a few times
Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #14

On the lid all I can make out is ITS-50R LYGHT
Its a 14 year old IOTA, time to kiss that goodbye

Tags
transfer switch, switch