Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

Low cool light

Hello all I have a question on my Monaco Windsor. 8.3 isc. On our first trip out with this new to us 38 dp. I have put about 2000 miles on the truck from the trip home and several around home and back and forth to my work for some interior updating and never seen this light till on our way to vacation. When I got started on the interstate a loud buzzing sound and red light on the dash lights up Low Cool. I pulled over and checked it and the resavore was to the full line. The temp was at 170. I kept driving and watching the gauges and every 100 or 200 miles stopping and checking the coolant and it was never low but the beeping and low cool light would come on about every 30 or so miles and last from 10s to 20 seconds and the temp gauge never moved more than 190 climbing Tenn. Mountains. Great power and no driving issues. I thought the sensor in the coolant resavore could be sticking and needed washed but I don't see sensor or a float in it. Where is the sensor?
TFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've got a 2002 Windsor. If you have the original surge tank the coolant sensor is at the top and extends down into the coolant. It was a known problem that the probe would get contaminated. The probe actually completes a circuit to ground. The build up of contamination opens the circuit and the alarm goes off.
To fix you have to pull the probe out, it is held in with heavy rubber grommet type seal. Use a Sotchbrite pad and clean the probe and reinstall.

The new tanks use a Ford type sensor that screws into the side about 1/3rd up from the bottom. Here is a link to the new style tank and sensor. https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/searc...h=tank&Submit=
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I've got a 2002 Windsor. If you have the original surge tank the coolant sensor is at the top and extends down into the coolant. It was a known problem that the probe would get contaminated. The probe actually completes a circuit to ground. The build up of contamination opens the circuit and the alarm goes off.
To fix you have to pull the probe out, it is held in with heavy rubber grommet type seal. Use a Sotchbrite pad and clean the probe and reinstall.

The new tanks use a Ford type sensor that screws into the side about 1/3rd up from the bottom. Here is a link to the new style tank and sensor. https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/searc...h=tank&Submit=
Thank you I'm gonna do it now. I seen the sensor looking thing but it has no wires? Is this correct?
Old 02-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFarmer View Post
Thank you I'm gonna do it now. I seen the sensor looking thing but it has no wires? Is this correct?
Also when I was looking for the sensor or wiring for it I noticed at the back of the tank it had a silver looking fitting that has two hoses coming from it. one goes to the top of the cylinder head and the other goes to the top of the radiator and the two smaller hoses look rotten. What is this say called and where can I purchase it?
Old 02-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The sensor should have one wire going to it.

The small hose coming from the top of the engine allows for some coolant circulation, it actually carries quite a bit of flow for the size. The one coming from the radiator, I suspect, is to purge air to the surge tank. The hose can be purchased from any auto parts store, I replaced the one coming from the engine to the surge tank when I changed my surge tank, it was hard and brittle.

Take a close look at your surge tank, when I bought my rig in 2008 I had small hair line cracks that were weeping. I repaired with Gorilla glue and it held until ~2014 at which point I replace my tank with the newer version which is nylon and does not crack as easily. It is the same as what was pictured in the link I provided. Some people have replaced with metal.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #6

Ok I took the tank off to remove the sensor to try and clean it and when the tank wad hanging down I found that the wiring connector was broken off and some silly ass hooked the wife to a nut for ground and I guess the nut came loose and setting the alarm off. Ill offer a sensor. Anyone know the best place to get this. And on the hoses they have some kind of plastic connector and I don't see a way to disconnect them without breaking them.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
No idea on a new sensor, I threw my old one away with the tank. There have been other posts saying the sensor/probe is obsolete.

The sensor itself is an aluminum tube, you might just try drilling and and taping a threaded stud in the top to be able to attach the wire back.

You might try making another post specific on the sensor.

At least you know what the problem is. You might also consider changing the tank to the new style.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
No idea on a new sensor, I threw my old one away with the tank. There have been other posts saying the sensor/probe is obsolete.

The sensor itself is an aluminum tube, you might just try drilling and and taping a threaded stud in the top to be able to attach the wire back.

You might try making another post specific on the sensor.

At least you know what the problem is. You might also consider changing the tank to the new style.
Thanks again I'll look into it. You guys are good help. I'm glad I found it.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:19 AM   #9

If this is the old Volvo Tank, good luck finding a replacement sensor, I have searched for two years. If you find one, lots of folks would like to know.
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry42 View Post
If this is the old Volvo Tank, good luck finding a replacement sensor, I have searched for two years. If you find one, lots of folks would like to know.
Thanks.

Go to the link I provided above, there are several surge tanks shown.

The link it Veurinks, give them a call, the have great customer support. I was in a bind, needed a slide motor, the sourced one and had it shipped to my future destination.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #11

Would be best to get sensor repaired, it gives you a heads up while driving if you start losing coolant.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you an get access to a lathe, you can make a sensor out of round aluminum bar stock.
But if your plastic bottle is cracked you are better off replacing the entire assembly.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #13

Hi TFarmer; I had a 2000 Windsor and have replaced it with a 2001 Windsor. As Jim J. mentioned in this post that the round aluminum sensor that screws into the top of the Volvo tank need to be cleaned at times. I had the same problem with my 2000 Windsor. There is just 1 wire that attaches to the sensor. There are a couple of different sensors that work like the Ford sensor that goes into the side of the next generation expansion tank. The problem was these sensors were not sealed and since the expansion tank is pressurized it would push coolant out the top of the sensor. This is the experience I had and just got a replacement aluminum sensor and that solved the low coolant light from coming on and off. The Volvo tanks are still available and I think Amazon has them but not sure of the quality of their product. Try cleaning the sensor first as Jim J. mentioned and reattaching the one wire that goes to the top of the aluminum sensor. Let us know what happens as I might have another solution to your problem. Good luck! Just found something to add here. I keep a lot of old part numbers around and have this. The Monaco part # for the sensor is 2317 and the tank part # is 2129. Please note that these part numbers are from the old Monaco before they went out of business so don't know if they are any help at all. I do have a Volvo part # for the expansion tank and it is #3966106. The fill cap for the tank is Volvo part#6794968.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light